PDA

View Full Version : Ada's Letters & Numbers Teaser #2

TheGoodGuy
29th August 2005, 23:39
Slightly easier, this one.....(I think so anyway)

RULES:

The seven letters A through to G represent seven out of the ten numbers 0 through to 9.....but which seven?

Using the following statement:

If (A x B x C) = (B x G x E) = (D x E x F)

What is the numerical value of the letter G? (Explain your answer).

(I have altered the question, hopefully to avoid any confusion, as values you may have worked out for A, B & C could be used as the values for D, E & F and vice versa.
G is the only letter that can have only one possible value.)

Good Luck

Ada.

TheGoodGuy
3rd September 2005, 00:06
:snooze :snooze :snooze

Ada.

Fadetoblack
3rd September 2005, 00:11
Let me tell you something, equations send a nasty shiver down my spine. Letters and numbers are a crossover as successful as Motorhead and Jason Donavan.

There are some clever clogs on here who will be jotting away at this very moment like Carol Vorderman on speed. I'm just not one of those people.

(no offence by the way...I get great enjoyment out of your quizzes Ada but algebra and all its incestuous cousins torment me like a screaming baby during match of the day.)

Fadetoblack
3rd September 2005, 00:15
I tried to do it. Now I have a headache.

tophatter
3rd September 2005, 00:19
Im struggling with this one. Im usually pretty good at these but its got me stumped. i will get it eventully but may need to sleep on this one!

TheGoodGuy
3rd September 2005, 00:19
FTB,
Thanks for at least having a go.....sorry about the headache.....it is late Friday/early Saturday though.
Can't you blame the headache on something else.....maybe?

Ada. :drnk

Fadetoblack
3rd September 2005, 00:28
:laugh...nah...working tonight so no boozing for me. Just glad you didn't post some brain teasers...I'd never get to bed.

MarcusMel
3rd September 2005, 01:40
Missed this post :rolleyes:

Can't be 0 or a prime number above 3 so neither 5 no 7 involved either leaving
1,2,3,4,6,8,9 now need triplets that multiply to the same number.

we can re-write some of these numbers

1,2,3,(2*2),(2*3),(2*2*2),(3*3)

For each sum we need the same number of 2's and 3's.
There are 7 twos and 4 threes and 1 one

Two numbers are used twice (B,E)

Too tired to continue.
g'd nite

MarcusMel
3rd September 2005, 10:11
Right just woken up

Make E=9, so we have 2 threes in two lines and put the other 2 threes in a line on their own say A=3 and C=6. You could mirror image this and swap A and C and still have the same result. Now we have to distribute the twos. By putting the 9 at position E we effectivly gave ourselve 6 threes as E is used twice. Anyway the number of twos we want to complete the thing should be divisible by 3. We have 7 two's and need nine so the position of 4 must be B. The remaining 1,2,8 then fall into place with D=1,F=8,and G=2.

TheGoodGuy
3rd September 2005, 12:12
Well done Marcus....correct.
Excellent explanation as well!!

G=2.

Ada.

sparkyminer
3rd September 2005, 12:27
Slightly easier, this one.....(I think so anyway)

RULES:

The seven letters A through to G represent seven out of the ten numbers 0 through to 9.....but which seven?

Using the following statement:

If (A x B x C) = (B x G x E) = (D x E x F)

What is the numerical value of the letter G? (Explain your answer).

(I have altered the question, hopefully to avoid any confusion, as values you may have worked out for A, B & C could be used as the values for D, E & F and vice versa.
G is the only letter that can have only one possible value.)

Good Luck

Ada.
Working nights does have the odd benefit. :wink Sorry I missed this Ada, not that I'd have done owt with it. I'm crap at these sort of things. :butthead: :yikes: