PDA

View Full Version : Ada's Friday Night Mind Challenge

TheGoodGuy
16th September 2005, 23:20
Tonight is mainly a straightforward question & answer quiz but with a couple of mind benders thrown in....

Normal Ada rules apply.

RED = SOLVED

Ready....

1.Jack and Jill went to the dairy to buy exactly 3 litres of milk each.
They each carried a pot that could hold at least 3 litres.
The dairyman had two 10 litre containers full of milk.
He also had an empty 5 litre container and an empty 4 litre container.
How did the dairyman measure out the correct quantities, without wasting any milk?

Note that there are no markings on the containers
ANSWER:
Step 1. Take the 1st 10 litre pot and pour milk into the 5 and 4 litre pots, and pour the remaining 1 litre into Jack’s pot. Empty the 4 & 5 litre pots back into the 1st 10 litre pot
Step 2. Repeat same process for 2nd 10 litre pot, putting the remaining 1 litre into Jack’s pot.
Fill the 1st 10 litre pot (currently holding 9 litres) with milk from the 4 litre pot, and the remaining 3 litres into Jill’s pot.
Hence Jill has exactly 3 litres of milk.
Step 3. Now we have one 10 litre pot full, the other 10 litre pot empty, a full 5 litre pot, an empty 4 litre pot & Jack’s pot containing 2 litres.
Step 4. Pour the milk from the 5 litre pot into the 4 litre pot and the remaining 1 litre into Jack’s pot (currently holding 2 litres)
Hence Jack now has exactly 3 litres of milk.

Thus both now have 3 litres of milk.

2.If you’re wearing shorts is your popliteal visible, and if it is or isn’t, where is it anyway? YES IT'S THE HOLLOW BEHIND THE KNEE
3.Which car manufacturer has a diamond logo badge on its vehicles? RENAULT
4.In which year did the decimal half-penny coin go out of circulation? 1984
5.If a girl was given Mary Janes as a present, what would she do with them & what are they? WEAR THEM, LOW HEELED SHOES WITH ANKLE STRAP
6.If you ordered a croque-monsieur in a French bistro, what would you expect to receive? ANSWER:Fried or grilled cheese and ham in a fried or toasted sandwich.
7.What were the first names of 1970s rock band Emerson, Lake And Palmer? KEITH EMERSON, GREG LAKE, CARL PALMER
8.On a Greek restaurant menu, what are keftedes? ANSWER:Small meatballs with onions and herbs.
9.Five horses ran in a race....
· There were no ties.
· Sikandar did not come first.
· Star was neither first nor last.
· Mughal Glory came in one place after Sikandar.
· Zozo was not second.
· Rangila was two places below Zozo.
In what order did the horses finish?

ANSWER:
First place- Zozo
Second place- Star
Third place-Rangila
Fourth place-Sikandar
Fifth place-Mughal Glory

Zozo came in first because it was impossible for any one else to. Rangila came in third because he came in "2 places below Zozo", Sikandar could have come in 2, 3, 4, or 5. 3 is filled already and if he came in second, Mughal Glory. could not have come in after him, there for he came in fourth with Mughal Glory behind him in fifth. leaving Star for second.

10.How many standard wine bottles make up a rehoboam? 6
11.Complete the following wartime campaign and poster slogans — a) Keep mum, she’s . . . NOT SO DUMB, b) Dig for . . . VICTORY, c) Careless talk . . . COSTS LIVES, d) Coughs and sneezes . . . SPREAD DISEASES
12.Name the hit songs by the following bands or singers with days of the week in their titles — a) Boomtown Rats, b) Rolling Stones, c) The Cure, d) Whigfield. a) I DON'T LIKE MONDAYS b) RUBY TUESDAY c) FRIDAY I'M IN LOVE d) SATURDAY NIGHT
13.What is America’s Gem State better known as? IDAHO
14.The medical term is hypermobility, but what’s the more common name for this condition? BEING DOUBLE JOINTED
15.What is a roup in Scotland? AN AUCTION

Good luck

Ada.

GlosRFC
16th September 2005, 23:46
11. b) victory c) costs lives d) spread diseases

GlosRFC
16th September 2005, 23:48
2. Your belly button?
3. Renault
6. Cheese on toast!
7. Greg Lake,
12. a) I don't like Mondays d) Saturday Night

TheGoodGuy
16th September 2005, 23:58
Hi Glos,

All OK except...

2. Wrong.
6. There's something else as well as cheese

Ada.

PS. Are you going to register for Oldham's poker freeroll on Sunday evening?

Treasure Hunt Entry Code for Round 1: p9zq2m

GlosRFC
16th September 2005, 23:58
1. He pours into the 5 litre container. Then he pours into the 4 litre container. Then he pours the 5 litres back into the 10 litre container so it now contains 6 litres. He pours the 4 litres into the 5 litre container and fills it back up so now he's got 2 litres. He pours 1 litre from the 4 litre jug into the 5 litre container leaving 3 in there - which he gives to Jack. He then repeats the entire exercise with the second 10 litre container for Jill

10-0-0
5-5-0
1-5-4
6-0-4
6-4-0
2-4-4
2-4-3 gives this to Jack

GlosRFC
16th September 2005, 23:59
I think it's got ham as well.

And yes, if I'm back in time on Sunday I'll give it a go. Do we need to sign up in advance then?

GlosRFC
17th September 2005, 00:01
8. Are these rice wrapped in vine leaves?

ziggs
17th September 2005, 00:05
2) yes, an artory behind the knee
3)The Renault
4) 1984
5) wear them, they are shoes
6) grilled ham and cheese sandwich
7) Keith Emerson, Greg Lake and Carl Palmer
8) Meatballs
10) 6
11) a)Keep mum she's not so dumb b) dig for victory c) carelss talk costs lives d) coughs and sneezes spread diseases
12) a)I don't like Mondays b)Ruby Tuesday c) Friday i'm in love d) Saturday Night
13) Idaho
14) arthritis
15) Auction

MattR
17th September 2005, 00:25
Zozo
Star
Rangila
Sikandar
Mughal Glory.

TheGoodGuy
17th September 2005, 00:27
Well Ziggs,

How many of those did you know without Googling eh.....?

By the way you got No. 14 wrong & why not have a go at No.9.

Ada.

TheGoodGuy
17th September 2005, 00:29
Matt R

Well done,

No. 9 correct

Ada.

TheGoodGuy
17th September 2005, 00:37
Somebody may as well look the answer up to No.14 to finish this thread off:

14. The medical term is hypermobility, but what’s the more common name for this condition?

Sometimes I wonder why I bother doing this...........

Ho Hum...
Ada. ;fire :anger

John
17th September 2005, 00:44
Don't worry Ada. Evidently no-one knew the answer to number 14; it is a quiz after all. Thanks for taking the time to post it for us. :)

TheGoodGuy
17th September 2005, 00:49
John
Sorry to ask such a pointed question and I don't mean to be rude but...
Your point being....?

Ada.

ziggs
17th September 2005, 00:57
Well Ziggs,

How many of those did you know without Googling eh.....?

By the way you got No. 14 wrong & why not have a go at No.9.

Ada.

I Googled 5 of them! General knowledge is my bag, where logic is not! I had neither the time nor inclination to sit and work out No 9 or No 1 :(

Have I done something wrong Ada?

MarcusMel
17th September 2005, 01:07
14 Loose Joints :D

MarcusMel
17th September 2005, 01:09
Like it - one of those things that you think when you see the answer - dash it I should have been able to guess the answer that that one :D

Great stuff Ada.

TheGoodGuy
17th September 2005, 01:09
Ziggs,

No, not really,

All I ask when I post these 'quizzes' is that people don't google the answers straight away..... that is, answer those that you can off the top of your head and let others who might want a stab at the answers have a go as well. rather than look the answers up and 'kill' the thread off somewhat prematurely.

On a personal note, these threads take a bit of time to put together on my part, and to see them googled and killed off within minutes is a bit annoying.

No hard feelings,

Regards

Ada.

MarcusMel
17th September 2005, 01:13
Those words into sums things - I remember the first one I ever did

SEND + MORE = MONEY

TheGoodGuy
17th September 2005, 01:15
That's it.

All Done

QUIZ COMPLETE.

Ada.

PS Marcus, I'll have a go at your sum teaser tomorrow, cheers.

ziggs
17th September 2005, 01:25
Ziggs,

No, not really,

All I ask when I post these 'quizzes' is that people don't google the answers straight away..... that is, answer those that you can off the top of your head and let others who might want a stab at the answers have a go as well. rather than look the answers up and 'kill' the thread off somewhat prematurely.

On a personal note, these threads take a bit of time to put together on my part, and to see them googled and killed off within minutes is a bit annoying.

No hard feelings,

Regards

Ada.

Ok, sorry about that Ada.

I understand now - I was in a bit of a hurry and I now realise that trying to be a smart ::swear::swear::swear::swear was not exactly conducive to the longevity and participation of your quiz.

It won't happen again :)

Ziggs

John
17th September 2005, 01:55
John
Sorry to ask such a pointed question and I don't mean to be rude but...
Your point being....?

My point was that it sounded you were getting wound up because nobody was able to answer one question - that's all. Plus, I appreciate the fact that you post the quizzies and stated so in my post.

TheGoodGuy
17th September 2005, 12:34
John,

Thanks for your reply....

Having read your original post & now your reply I can now see where you were coming from.
I must admit I interpreted part of your post somewhat negatively when that was obviously not your intention.

Apologies,

Ada.

John
17th September 2005, 18:54
Thanks for clearing that up Ada, no problem. :)

TheGoodGuy
17th September 2005, 23:25
Marcus,

SEND + MORE = MONEY

Had me going for a while but my answer is:

9567 + 1085 = 10652

S = 9
E = 5
N = 6
D = 7
M = 1
O = 0
R = 8
Y = 2

Ada.

MarcusMel
17th September 2005, 23:56
:REDanceda :H11 :drinkme :H11 :REDanceda

Well done

There is another one I remember but not acuratly enough to post.

Was something like ONE+ONE+TWO+TWO+THREE.....

Would like to find it and have a go at solving it if I can find some spare time :rolleyes: