PDA

View Full Version : Ada's Friday Night Bit Of Everything Quiz

TheGoodGuy
23rd September 2005, 23:09
Bit of a mixture tonight.....
TV, General Knowledge, Music, 'Literature', Logic, Toys.....

RULES:
Please desist from Googling the answers from the start.
Let others (if there are any) have a go as well.
Only Google as a last resort if you would please......Thanks.

RED = SOLVED

Here goes....

1. What is the more common name for Ethylene Glycol? ANTI FREEZE
2. What was the first man-made object to move faster than the speed of sound? A WHIP
3. Which are the fire signs of the Zodiac? ARIES, LEO & SAGITTARIUS
4. From which country is Kofi Annan (Secretary General of the UN)? GHANA
5. Which was the first black and white film to win a Best Picture Oscar after 'The Apartment' in 1960? SCHINDLERS LIST
6. Sid and his snake, Slippy, were the title cartoon in which popular 70’s comic? WHIZZER & CHIPS
7. Which rock singer played Eddie in the Rocky Horror Picture Show? MEATLOAF
8. Who had a 1993 album called 'Diva'? ANNIE LENNOX
9. Which three surnames did Jane Rossington have in ‘Crossroads’? RICHARDSON, HARVEY & CHANCE
10. Mr. Peevly and Botch were characters in which 70’s childrens TV show? THE HAIR BEAR BUNCH
11. Which 80’s computer suffered from ‘RAM pack wobble’ and came with a huge 1 kilobyte of memory? SINCLAIR ZX 80/81
12. What was the name of the male action figure whose arms and legs could be pulled to extraordinary lengths? STRETCH ARMSTRONG
13. What Subbuteo game was introduced for girls in 1981? HOCKEY
14. What was the name of Jimmy’s magic talking flute in kids TV show H.R. Pufnstuf? FREDDIE
15. A man uses an escalator at a railway station.
If he runs up 8 steps of the escalator, it then takes him 40 seconds to reach the top of the escalator.
If he runs up 15 steps of the escalator, it then takes him only 22.5 seconds to reach the top of the escalator.

a) How many steps are visible, when the escalator is stationary?
b) How many seconds would it take the man to reach the top, if he did not run up any steps of the escalator at all?

ANSWER:
Velocity(v) = Distance(d)/Time(t)
Let the number of steps (distance) be d and the velocity of the escalator be v
(d-8)/v=40 and (d-15)/v=22.5
dividing one by other we get
22.5*(d-8)=40*(d-15)
420/17.5 = d
hence d= 24
and velocity = 0.4 steps per second, using either of the 1st equations where d now = 24: (24-8)/v = 40, therefore 16 = 40*v and v = 16/40 = 0.4…. OR…. (24-15)/v = 22.5…. 9 = 22.5*v…...
v = 9/22.5 = 0.4
So the time taken:
t = d/v
t = 24/0.4
t = 60

This gives the solution
i) It will take 60 seconds for the man to reach the top if he does not run up
ii) 24 steps will be visible when the escalator is stationary.

Good Luck

Ada.

bigcumba
23rd September 2005, 23:14
1 - ANti freeze

5 - Raging Bull?

7 - Meat Loaf

10 - Hair Bear Bunch

11 - Sinclair ZX80

12 - Stretch Armstrong

TheGoodGuy
23rd September 2005, 23:24
Big C

All OK except No 5..... though I am taking my answer source as gospel. If you think I am wrong then please let rip.... :)

Ada.

presto
23rd September 2005, 23:34
2) bullet?

tophatter
Is the answer to number six Whizzer & chips?

Merlin
4. From which country is Kofi Annan (Secretary General of the UN)? GHANA
6. Sid and his snake, Slippy, were the title cartoon in which popular 70’s comic? WHIZZER AND CHIPS
13. What Subbuteo game was introduced for girls in 1981 - HOCKEY

bigcumba
23rd September 2005, 23:35
Had to cheat to check Ada, so I know I was definitely wrong... but I'll leave the answer for someone else :)

TheGoodGuy
23rd September 2005, 23:37
Presto....No 2 Incorrect.

TH.... No6 Whizzer & Chips.......YES correct. I thought that was a tough one myself, but obviously not....well done.

Ada.

TheGoodGuy
23rd September 2005, 23:41
Sorry Merlin....haven't forgotten you....

Yeah all correct, though No 6 has to go to TH....sorry.

Ada.

PS. Big C.... Thanks for that... much appreciated.

bigcumba
23rd September 2005, 23:58
Been racking my brains on number 2... I'm sure this was just after the second world war and Chuck Yeager was pilot because I'm fairly certain he was the first man to break the sound barrier... not sure what his plane was called though.

ziggs
23rd September 2005, 23:59
5) Manhattan?

TheGoodGuy
24th September 2005, 00:01
Big C

No....it was around long before the plane was 'invented'.
Can't think of a reasonable clue without giving it away...

Ada

TheGoodGuy
24th September 2005, 00:05
Hi Ziggs
Glad to see you back here....

Now I must admit I thought the answer was Manhattan as well, but did it win that particular award?

I have a different answer, but please stand your ground if you think I'm wrong.

Regards

Ada.

bigcumba
24th September 2005, 00:08
8 - Annie Lennox
9 - Harvey and Chance are 2 I remember

bigcumba
24th September 2005, 00:10
The Oscar winner is definitely the one you have Ada - Manhattan didn't win Best Picture... PM coming your way:)

TheGoodGuy
24th September 2005, 00:12
Big C

8 Correct....surprised you didn't get that one sooner!! :)
9 Yeah, you've got the 2 hard ones....you've missed the obvious one...

Ada.

MarcusMel
8 The Diva was Anne Lennox Eurythmics singer

WOW a music question I knew the answer too :D:D:D

MarcusMel
Bugger Big C beat me. :(

bigcumba
24th September 2005, 00:15
9 - Richardson - she was Meg's daughter!

MarcusMel
24th September 2005, 00:19
5 Steven Spielburg's ........ List?

TheGoodGuy
24th September 2005, 00:24
Come on Marcus.... don't tease me...

Ada.

tophatter
24th September 2005, 00:26
Presto....No 2 Incorrect.

TH.... No6 Whizzer & Chips.......YES correct. I thought that was a tough one myself, but obviously not....well done.

Ada.

I was a whizzer and chips reader for many years. I was a chips man myself. Great idea - two comics in one.

Fadetoblack
24th September 2005, 00:32
lol..is it Shindler's List?

TheGoodGuy
24th September 2005, 00:33
Marcus,

15. You being the mathematical boffin here, I am hoping that you will come up with the same answer as I did for Q 15.

I think my reasoning/logic is correct & my answers are whole numbers so I am 'presuming' that I am right...

Ada.

TheGoodGuy
24th September 2005, 00:34
FTB

Schindlers List is correct...well done.

Ada.

Fadetoblack
24th September 2005, 00:38
Thanks Ada...I like to give these questions a while to ssee how others do and then try and get the rest. It's against my religion to cheat at quizzes..

Thanks for doing these by the way...

Fadetoblack
24th September 2005, 00:40
Ada....for number 2 is it something that man has made, as in constructed...or could it be something like a blink...which technically is made by man....not exactly giving that as an answer but you see where i'm coming from...a bit of fourth dimensional thinking....

TheGoodGuy
24th September 2005, 00:45
FTB
Thanks for that...
I would like to think that everyone takes your approach....
Much appreciated.
Are you playing Poker on Sunday?

Ada.

Fadetoblack
24th September 2005, 00:47
Not this Sunday unfortunately...I want to lull everyone into a false sense of security and then play in the coming weeks...I'm away most weekends, (which is why I usually miss your quizzes, working late tonight so it's an exception)

I'm actually a huge quiz buff (on everything except maths questions :D)

TheGoodGuy
24th September 2005, 00:50
FTB

No2 is a man made item, not used in normal present day to day living, (except in some bedrooms maybe) but normally out on the farm or ranch possibly.......

Ada.

MarcusMel
24th September 2005, 00:53
Its such a long time since I did any Applied Math :rolleyes: I remember doing almost the exact same question some 20 years ago and getting it wrong then :yikes:

TheGoodGuy
24th September 2005, 00:59
Marcus,

I arrived at my answer by using the formula "Speed = Distance/Time" & obviously variations of it......?

So my answer is only 'probably' correct.

Ada.

MarcusMel
24th September 2005, 00:59
If he runs up 8 steps of the escalator, it then takes him 40 seconds to reach the top of the escalator.
If he runs up 15 steps of the escalator, it then takes him only 22.5 seconds to reach the top of the escalator.

Sorry I think there is something wrong with the wording here - its confusing me.

Should he not run both UP and DOWN the esuclator and I take it that 8 and 15 are the number of steps he count to get to the top or bottom.

Fadetoblack
24th September 2005, 01:02

Can be used in a bedroom and on the farm?!!! Tell me Ada...is it worth my while thinking about this...I'm a relatively intelligent bloke but is the answer of the obscure variety?

TheGoodGuy
24th September 2005, 01:04
He walks/runs (I don't think that is relevant) up 8 steps then travels the rest without moving..... and next time walks/runs up 15 steps and then travels the rest of the way without moving...

Ada.

MarcusMel
24th September 2005, 01:06
Ah! - BTW I really could not recall the German Officers Name.

TheGoodGuy
24th September 2005, 01:09
FTB,

I'l tell you the answer....
It's a whip.
When you 'crack' a 'thin tailed' whip the noise that you hear is actually a 'sonic boom'. That is, the tail of the whip is travelling allegedly faster than the speed of sound at that particular moment in time...

That's the theory,
what you use in the bedroom is up to you.....

Ada. :rolleyes:

Fadetoblack
24th September 2005, 01:12
Ah!!!! All you had to tell me was that it wasn't obscure!!! I hadn't given up!!! :(

Clever though, I think at around 3am I might have gotton that one.

(probably best you told me then)

MarcusMel
24th September 2005, 01:15
Sorry Ada will have to do this in the morning now - Head too full of a programming problem I am trying to solve.

TheGoodGuy
24th September 2005, 01:16
FTB

Sorry about giving the answer away.... Thanks for taking part anyway.

Ada.

TheGoodGuy
24th September 2005, 01:17
OK Marcus,

Whenever you get the time to give it a go.....thanks.

Ada.

Fadetoblack
24th September 2005, 01:20
As soon as I feel that I need to head to sleep I'll give that elevator one a shot. I'll pass out in a couple of seconds.

MarcusMel
24th September 2005, 01:34
It takes a comunity to build a world each person suplying their skills and interests as the bricks and mortar that hold it all together.

ziggs
24th September 2005, 02:15
Hi Ziggs
Glad to see you back here....

Now I must admit I thought the answer was Manhattan as well, but did it win that particular award?

I have a different answer, but please stand your ground if you think I'm wrong.

Regards

Ada.

Ada,

Looks like you are probably correct. Manhattan was not Best Picture nominee for the Acadamy Awards in 1979 (that bit I did have to look look up) :)

Ziggs

MarcusMel
24th September 2005, 02:21
One other thing that is bugging me about the steps question is at what point did the stopwatch start.

TheGoodGuy
24th September 2005, 12:34
Marcus

From the moment he reached the 8th step on the first go, and the 15th step on the second go.
As the escalator must travel at a constant speed, and using the two time readings given to make two equations (statements), then the distance (or number of steps) and then speed & ultimately how long it would take him to travel the full length of the escalator can be worked out.

That was the way I tackled it, though I am willing to be corrected if my logic is somewhat off the mark.

Ada.

MarcusMel
26th September 2005, 12:12

a) How many steps are visible, when the escalator is stationary?
b) How many seconds would it take the man to reach the top, if he did not run up any steps of the escalator at all?

--------

Ok Let the Total distance to the top be N steps and let us measure Speed as steps per second (S)

First Journey distance traveled is N-8
and (N-8)=Time*S or (N-8)=40*S

Second Journey (N-15)=22.5*S

We now have two equations with two unknown values which is easy to solve
and find N=24 steps and S=0.4 steps per second

So the answer to question a is 24

and the answer to question b is 24 divided by 0.4 equalling 60 seconds.

Cheers Ada I enjoyed solving that one!

MarcusMel
26th September 2005, 12:23
I got bogged down in my understanding of the problem at first because I thought it had to do with relative velocities of the man and the the speed of the steps :rolleyes:

TheGoodGuy
26th September 2005, 19:37
Well done Marcus,

I agree with your answers (thankfully!!)
I was starting to wonder if I had misunderstood part of the question myself!!!

I'll dig another one out for this week.

Ada.

redrock
27th September 2005, 09:48
14. the name of the golden magic flute was Freddie

TheGoodGuy
27th September 2005, 20:06
Redrock,

14. Freddie is correct....well done.

Just one to go......the fire signs of the zodiac.

Ada.

TheGoodGuy
30th September 2005, 18:27
3. Answer.......ARIES, LEO & SAGITTARIUS.

QUIZ COMPLETE.

Ada.

Fadetoblack
30th September 2005, 18:28
Ada have a look at the thread entitled "addictive little game" in off topic.....you might like it