PDA

View Full Version : anyone bought RP book?

wb
18th October 2005, 12:31
Has anyone boughts the RP 'definitive guide to the exchanges' book?

I got the other book in the series 'definitive guide to backing horses' and found it great. Just wondering if anyone has read it, before i part with my cash

Win2Win
18th October 2005, 12:33
We were hoping you'd do the review :D

wb
18th October 2005, 12:37
:D :D

here is the amazon synopsis - that will have to do for the moment :D

Synopsis
Not since the legalisation of betting shops in 1961 has anything hit the UK gambling scene with as much force as the arrival of the betting exchange. From small beginnings in 2000, to more than GBP 23 million traded on a single cricket match in January 2005, Betfair - the dominant exchange - can now arguably be called the world's largest internet betting site. Punters, professional and casual, love it - and bookmakers hate it. But whatever they say, person-to-person betting is here to stay. This book is the essential publication aimed at helping you to avoid the pitfalls and make the most of this new and vibrant form of betting.

wb
18th October 2005, 12:39
Im probrally starting to sound like an ad for the RP! :yikes:

Im not a friend of mills & boons or whatever his name was, honest :D

Win2Win
18th October 2005, 13:18
If you know little about the exchanges, and how trading works, etc, probably a useful buy.

wb
18th October 2005, 15:09
If you know little about the exchanges, and how trading works, etc, probably a useful buy.

I know the basics of how it works, and have no problem doing the lays, but Id like to learn more, so Im about to buy it (using your link of course!)

I'll let you all know if it is any good for beginners

presto
18th October 2005, 15:56
i quite like the RP book's - got the horse one and the sport's one. - not read them properly yet though.

brings me onto a rant about amazon though:

i ordered some books 8th september - was going to get RP exchange book - but it wasn't released yet, so didn't want it to hold my order up.
the delivery estimate was 1 week - 10 days, had no problem with that. then a book was out of stock - delivery estimate 3 weeks. 2 weeks later another book will be delayed ;fire

now my order will be with me october 27 - november 10.

thats some estimated delivery - sep 15 - nov 10 ;fire

Win2Win
18th October 2005, 17:38
You can't blame Amazon, it's the publishers fault with the stock levels, I've got the same problem with the new Iron Maiden DVD, but it ain't Amazons fault.

wb
4th November 2005, 22:35
Got it in the post today :wiggle: (RP guide to the exchanges book) Looks very good. only read about 20 pages so far, seems like a really good read. will let you all know as I read more of it. :)

Wayne

Win2Win
5th November 2005, 09:16
Blimey we are doing well.......a member who can acrually read.....are their any pretty pictures in it for Vegy? :D

plater
5th November 2005, 09:26
Exchange Guide :D

Win2Win
5th November 2005, 09:53
I'm sure they'll get round to updating the old SportingOptions mainframe in time :)

sparkyminer
5th November 2005, 11:14
Blimey we are doing well.......a member who can acrually read.....are their any pretty pictures in it for Vegy? :D
We might soon get some that can spell and do grammar as well. :wink :D

wb
5th November 2005, 11:42
of course I can read. and i can rite too! :)

wb
5th December 2005, 18:44
Ok here is a quick review, as i finished it about 2 weeks ago.

This was really useful to me (as an exchange beginner)

If you are looking for that book on gambling that tells you how to get rich, well.... im sad to say, it does not exist, :yikes: and this book is no exception. I learned that a while ago after reading a lot of racing books. :) But I did get a lot of tips that will make my gambling more profitable.

Anyway, the book starts off with a guide to how exchanges work, the pink and blue side etc, backing & laying, the book % etc. but you would be best to be sitting at a pc for this if you were a beginner, as it would not make much sense otherwise. Then, it tells the history of exchanges (Really Interesting! :) ) and a bit of discussion about their merits. the book is basically about betfair though, anyone who uses Dermot Desmond's Betdaq will not find much about it here.

Some chapters were kind of 'wasted' on me though. (perhaps further down the line I will re-read them) for example, I dont spread bet. The various sports sections were not very relevant either because i only back on G.A.A. (not included - only really popular in Ireland) horse racing and football. there were chapters on golf, snooker, rugby union and league, tennis, cricket and other 'general sports' which included dogs. As I say, I hope to start to move into more markets soon, so I may read these one day. Tried some of their advice and attempted to trade on B.A.G.S. - but it was not working :doh I made a post here and most people agreed it is not a good idea.

A very good chapter comes next about how to avoid the pitfalls etc which was very informative. then, there is a discussion on the row between the bookies and the exchanges.

Throughout the book, there are little boxes entitled 'uncommon knowledge' and these basically some great tips to help you get the most out of exchanges. very handy.

One of the really interesting chapters IMO, was about in-running betting, and one thing they advised - turn the volume down on your tv, as you will not be affected by the commentator, and may find some value. There are some funny stories then, about mistakes/crazy gambles etc. that have been made, and the last chapter deals with bots - again, very informative.

Anyone that has been using the exchanges for a long time may not get a huge amount from it, but I would definitely reccommend it to beginners.

9 out of 10.

Wayne

mathare
5th December 2005, 18:54
Thanks for that Wayne

It was on my birthday/christmas list anyway but I might bump it up the priority list on Amazon now :)

I tend to find that with any betting/racing/poker/blackjack book I read I always pick up a few snippets that make the book worth having/reading. I've been using the exchanges for a couple of years now but I reckon I will still find something of use in this book. Which is why it was on the Amazon wish list.

I often try and pick up books cheap on Ebay - just bid a couple of quid for them and if I don't get them then another copy will be along soon enough. I have built up a good library that way.

wb
5th December 2005, 19:02
Yeah, I have picked up quite a few books on racing over the years, and still keep them.

It is actually well worth flicking through them and marking things that stand out as a good pointer. I do this and re-type all the handy points into a large word document that I have, then every so often, I will read this word doc. and pick up pointers that i had forgotton.

The one thing though about some of my old books is that they all deal with 'bookies', and seem quite dated. Recently the idea of trading has gripped my attention, and the old books about bookie betting then start to feel really old! I seldom bet in the bookies now (only very small stakes for fun, when in the pub to pass the time) and the info can be often irrelevant. This is why I liked this book. It is one of few exchanges books that i have seen around, and is bang up to date (talks about races up to august or september i think)

Hope some more exchange/trading books come out soon