PDA

View Full Version : MAME Emulator

markwales
24th October 2005, 22:25
I downloaded the MAME Emulator earlier on this evening...FANTASTIC for any lovers of 70's, 80's and 90's retro gaming.

I have spent the evening playing Track and Field, Pole Position, R-Type and Bomb Jack to name but a few :D:D:D:D

Name a game, and it'll be available....even my old favourite "Scramble" :yikes:

Wonderful.

Everything you need to be retro gaming within minutes on a broadband connection can be found here http://www.romnation.net/

Download MAME, then the Rom's for whatever games you want to play :D

SUPERB piece of kit.....AND IT'S FREE !!!!!!!!!

markwales
24th October 2005, 22:27
For anyone that does decide to download it, when you download a game, the unzipped folder needs to go into the ROM folder within your MAME folder.... easy when you get the hang of it :D

bigcumba
25th October 2005, 07:15
Nice one Mark - I've used MAME for years - when I first got it there were only around 150 games that worked on it, now there are thousands.... it's just like being at the arcade, but you don't spend any money! Very highly recommended! You can also play the older games on an old PC - I first used it on an old first generation Pentium 120 ....

ziggs
25th October 2005, 23:40
For anyone that does decide to download it, when you download a game, the unzipped folder needs to go into the ROM folder within your MAME folder.... easy when you get the hang of it :D

I have downloaded the latest MAME and saved the unzipped rom (Logger) to the rom folder. MAME will run but for the life of me I cannot get the rom to run! I have tried an audit (I get errors) and still nothing. Keeps coming up with errors "missing files". Any ideas please?

markwales
26th October 2005, 07:41
If you have missing files, there is more than likely 2 download files for the specific game.

If the game looks like this on MAME...for example

Logger
------- Logger (Japan)
------- Logger (USA)
------- Logger (ATARI)

You need to download the Top file, and the relavant country/version file.

Basically the top file is generic, the others game version specific.

That's what I had to do for Track & Field anyhow....

Hope that helps.

Mark.

ziggs
26th October 2005, 22:14
If you have missing files, there is more than likely 2 download files for the specific game.

If the game looks like this on MAME...for example

Logger
------- Logger (Japan)
------- Logger (USA)
------- Logger (ATARI)

You need to download the Top file, and the relavant country/version file.

Basically the top file is generic, the others game version specific.

That's what I had to do for Track & Field anyhow....

Hope that helps.

Mark.

Yep, that works fine - thanks Mark :)