PDA

View Full Version : Ada's Last Friday Night Quiz (Only Temporary)

TheGoodGuy
28th October 2005, 23:29
Hi all,
I'm looking at trying to produce a more original type of quiz, which may or may not work....who knows....until I've finished my 'research' & given it a go.
So I will be taking a short break from the Friday Night Quizzes and hopefully be back soon with something that may be of some interest/amusement.

UNTIL THEN....

Have a go at these........

RED = SOLVED

1. Yakety Sax by Boots Randolph was the theme to which classic TV comedy show? THE BENNY HILL SHOW
2. Following the death of John Smith, who became temporary leader of the Labour Party? MARGARET BECKETT
3. Scar is an evil character in which Disney full-length cartoon? LION KING
4. What’s the origin of the word laser? Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation
5. Identify the following colourful artistes by their hit songs — a) Wonderful Life, b) All Rise, c) Get The Party Started, d) The Race. ANSWER a) BLACK b) BLUE c) PINK d) YELLO
6.In the old music hall song, what time does Burlington Bertie rise at? 10:30
7. E.H. Shepherd is probably best known for illustrating which series of children’s books? WINNIE THE POOH
8. Identify these past or present comedy double acts — a) Lancashire resort and clever, b) field gun and object for kicking, c) healthy and stride, d) evergreen tree and robust. ANSWER a) MORECAMBE & WISE b) CANNON & BALL c) HALE & PACE d) LAUREL & HARDY
9. What do the initials of TV shopping channel QVC stand for? QUALITY VALUE CONVENIENCE
10. The following clues are to words beginning with CAN — a) divisions of Switzerland, b) tubes of pasta, c) variety of melon, d) buffet snack. ANSWER a) CANTONS b) CANNELLONI c) CANTALOUPE d) CANAPE
11. Who had a koala puppet called Coojeebear? ROLF HARRIS
12. Which number was the first ever to be drawn in the National Lottery? 30
13. Which BBC TV drama was set in the fictional village of Darraby? ALL CREATURES GREAT & SMALL
14. The Americans call it a stroller. What name do we know it by? PUSHCHAIR
15. Unscramble FAST ISLE ISLAND to reveal the name of a British female singer. LISA STANSFIELD

16. The Leftover is back....

Five students - Alan, Charlie, James, Mike and Doug - appeared for an exam. There were a total of five questions - two multiple choice (a, b or c) and three true/false questions.
They answered as follows:

Charlie: Q1-C; Q2-B; Q3-True; Q4-True; Q5-False
Alan: Q1-C; Q2-C; Q3-True; Q4-True; Q5-True
James: Q1-A; Q2-C; Q3-False; Q4-True; Q5-True
Mike: Q1-B; Q2-A; Q3-True; Q4-True; Q5-False
Doug: Q1-B; Q2-B; Q3-True; Q4-False; Q5-True

Also, no students got the same number of correct answers.

Can you:
a) Work out the correct answers to the five questions?
b) What is each person’s score out of five?

ANSWER/EXPLANATION:

1-B, 2 - A, 3 - True, 4 - False, 5 - False

Charlie: 2 points
Alan: 1 point
James: 0 points
Mike: 4 points
Doug: 3 points

There are 6 possible scores, 0-1-2-3-4-5.

Explanation:

If Charlie scored 5, Alan scored 3, James scored 1, Mike scored 3, Doug scored 2. This cannot be the scenario.
If Alan scored 5, Charlie scored 3, James scored 3 and this scenario won't work.
If James scored 5, Charlie scored 1, Alan scored 3, Mike scored 1 and this scenario won't work.
If Mike scored 5, Charlie scored 3, Alan scored 2, James scored 1, and Doug scored 2 so this scenario won't work.
If Doug scored 5, Charlie scored 2, Alan scored 2 and this scenario won't work.

So if no one scored 5; the scores must therefore be 0-1-2-3-4

Possibility a: Question 4 is True (making Doug's score 0.)

In this scenario, Doug and Alan got Q1 and Q2 wrong (because one person must only get one question correct and everyone bar Alan has at least two questions correct at this stage), so Q1 and Q2 are ‘A’.
This leads to the scores being 0, 1, 2, 3, 3. This cannot be so, as two people now have the same score (3).
This scenario is therefore not possible.

Possibility b: Question 3 is True (making James's score 0.)

In this case, James and Alan got Q1 and Q2 wrong (because one person must only get one question correct and everyone bar Alan has at least two questions correct at this stage) , so Q1 is ‘B’ and Q2 is not C.

With Q1 =’B’, then Mike & Doug now have at least 3 questions correct, James with 0, Alan with 1, leaving Charlie having to have only 2 questions correct making his ‘B’ answer for Q2 wrong. As we already know Q2 is not ‘C’ (see above) and now ‘B’ is also wrong, then Q2 = ‘A’.

Using this information, the scores are 0 ,1, 2, 3, 4.
This scenario is therefore valid (see answers above.)

Good Luck
Deal/No Deal eSafe Game Box additions: Box 7: £7, Box 13: £1, Box 14: £3
Ada.

ziggs
28th October 2005, 23:43
8. a) Morecambe and Wise, b) Cannon and Ball, c) Hale and Pace d) Laurel and Hardy

14) Pushchair?

tophatter
28th October 2005, 23:43
7 is winnie the pooh

tophatter
28th October 2005, 23:44
Im ashamed to say Im not sure of the answer to number 2! But I will have a guess at Margaret Beckett.

ziggs
28th October 2005, 23:46
15. Lisa Stansfield

markwales
28th October 2005, 23:48
9. Quality Value Choice

markwales
28th October 2005, 23:51
5 b) Blue

andyp
28th October 2005, 23:51
3. Is it.. 'The Lion King'?

andyp
28th October 2005, 23:53
5. a) Simply red
b) blue
c) S Club 7 (i know its not a colour, but i though they sang it?)

Merlin
28th October 2005, 23:53
1. Yakety Sax by Boots Randolph was the theme to which classic TV comedy show? -BENNY HILL

2. Following the death of John Smith, who became temporary leader of the Labour Party? - Margaret Beckett

13. Which BBC TV drama was set in the fictional village of Darraby? - All Creatures Great And Small

14. The Americans call it a stroller. What name do we know it by? PRAM....?

vegyjones
28th October 2005, 23:59
That leftover is still not coming to me Ada,

I've tried with the assumption that someone got 5...
However, perhaps someone got 0...

Or perhaps I'm just not clever enough :laugh

Ruby
29th October 2005, 00:04
3) Lion King
10 a) Cantons b) Cannelloni c) Canteloupe
11) Rolf Harris

TheGoodGuy
29th October 2005, 00:06
Vegy,

Can you work out for definite whether someone DID actually get 5 correct?
Use that assumption on each person and it should get you 1 step further.
Yes, it IS possible that someone got none correct, only if you can PROVE that no-one got all 5 correct.

Ada.

chancer
29th October 2005, 00:07
5c pink
5d yello

TheGoodGuy
29th October 2005, 00:09
Roobs,

Hi ya,
Keeping well I hope..........

3, 10,11 correct.

Ada. :wink

tophatter
29th October 2005, 00:21
Thats exam one is as tough as they come but I will crack it before bedtiem Ada:)

vegyjones
29th October 2005, 00:24
Vegy,

Can you work out for definite whether someone DID actually get 5 correct?
Use that assumption on each person and it should get you 1 step further.
Yes, it IS possible that someone got none correct, only if you can PROVE that no-one got all 5 correct.

Ada.
I am pretty confident nobody got all 5 correct answers! :D

TheGoodGuy
29th October 2005, 00:27
TH
Good Luck, I hope you do............and most of all.......your answer agrees with mine!!!!

Same Good Wishes to you on this one as well Veg.........

If we all have different answers........then a mass debate seems the only outcome, I'm afraid lads :yikes:

Ada.

TheGoodGuy
29th October 2005, 00:29
Veg,

If you 'think' no-one got all 5 correct, you'll have to prove it to get an answer that works.

That's my opinion, though it could well be wrong!

Ada.

vegyjones
29th October 2005, 00:38
I rthink I've got it I think I've got it...

After lots of trail and Error...

Q1 = B
Q2 = A
Q3 = TRUE
Q4 = FALSE
Q5 = FALSE

so

Charlie = 2
Alan = 1
James = 0
Mike = 4
Doug = 3

:D Am I right???? :D

TheGoodGuy
29th October 2005, 00:47
Veg,

I take my hat off to you........that's the same answer that I came to.
In that case I will assume that it is the 'only' correct solution.

By the way....what took you so bloody long....I've had to post that for 3 weeks, and now in one attempt, you've got it right???? :D :)

Rep coming your way Veg for that one once I've seen your working out....

Sunday poker seems to have gone down the pan........is it worth starting a thread touting for people interested....?

Ada.

vegyjones
29th October 2005, 00:53
:D Great...

I strted by looking at the scores when each player had 5 correct answers...

Each time, this resulted in 2 players having identical scores.. which we know didn't happen.

So we know that at least one person had 0 correct...

So we assume that each player had no correct answers,
starting with the TRue / False answers, this leaves you with
a few possible answers depending on the correct result of the multiple choice questions!

Then for each player who has 2 correct of the True / False answers, you must trial him having the 2 correct mkultiple choice answer...

Using this method, my answer was the first one i came to where no one had identical results :D

Don't think I explained that too well, but what the hell, I got it right! :D :laugh

I must admit, tonight was the first time I had tried to tackle it... If you have any more logcal ones like that, well, the more the merrier Ada! :D

vegyjones
29th October 2005, 00:57
Oh, and sorry for stealing your glory TH! :D

TheGoodGuy
29th October 2005, 00:59
Well done again Vegy,

Yeah, I can no doubt dig up some nasty logic teasers like that, though it looks like you're only going to be up against the likes of TH to gain the logic quiz crown...........something else to add to your signature, eh Veg!!??

Regards

Ada.

vegyjones
29th October 2005, 01:01
something else to add to your signature, eh Veg!!??
If I add anything else, Keith might start charging me for the bandwidth! :laugh

tophatter
29th October 2005, 01:02
I have the more proper answer near cracked now veg, rather than the trial and error route.:) Give me 5 mins and I will post it!

vegyjones
29th October 2005, 01:03
Looking forward to it... :D

Although does that mean you steal my winners medal Ooo

TheGoodGuy
29th October 2005, 01:04
Go on TH

Good luck

Ada.

vegyjones
29th October 2005, 01:12
10 d = Canape (sic.)

Ruby
29th October 2005, 01:14
Hi Ada, ...was watching Tremors on the telly!! I am fine thanks , how's yerself??
Anyhoo, I forgot to put 10 d is canape..:D
Guessing the lottery number..no.14?

TheGoodGuy
29th October 2005, 01:19
Ruby,

Not too bad thanks....getting that bit older next Saturday!!!!!!!!!!!!

10 d) Canape.... correct..........I'm giving that one to you.........Vegy's won enough Brownie points tonight!!!

First lottery number wasn't 14 though.....

Ada.

tophatter
29th October 2005, 01:20
Im just knocking off the rough edges lads! I will post the answer before bed , thats a promise :)

vegyjones
29th October 2005, 01:28
You're keeping us on the edge of our seats TH! :D

TheGoodGuy
29th October 2005, 01:36
Time for me to say g'night

Thanks for taking part..much appreciated.

Regards

Ada.

tophatter
29th October 2005, 02:02
The first thing to do was work out if someone got them all right because if they did not that meant someone had to get them all wrong. By taking each person and checking there results against others by assuming they got them all right everytime it led to at least two people getting the same score. That meant we had someone with zero.

The only way to determine that was to use the true/False answers as there are only two combinations with that. This led you to either Doug or James as they were the only ones who gave unique answers to questions 3 and 4. Taking Doug first you could work out Charlie got at least two wong, Alan, two wrong, Mike two wrong and James at least one wrong, so if Doug was the dunce only James could be the strongest. Taking James as the dunce only Alan could not be the strongest, Charlie, Mike and Doug were all possible to be strongest.

The next thing was to rule James out as the strongest if this was the case as he had the same answer to q5 as doug that would have to be the wrong answer. Using that I worked out Both Charlie and Alan would have identical scores if James was the strongest. he had to be the weakest therefore.

Now that I knew that I knew the answers to questions 3, 4 and 5 as they were the oipposites to james answers, so question 3 was TRUE, Q4 was FALSE and so was Q5.
I knew ALAN could not be the guy with 4 right answers because he got two of the true/False questions wrong. So that meant the strongest was either Charlie, Mike or Doug. It could not be Charlie because Alan and mike would have a score of 2 each and it could not be Doug as Charlie and Mike would have 3 each. Only mike gave the three others different scores.

So I knew Mikes answers to the first two questions were correct as I knew he had got question 4 wrong so therefore I could work out all the answers and therefore their scores.

Scores = Charlie 2, Alan 1, James 0, Mike 4 Doug 3

Answers 1) B 2) A) 3) T, 4)F 5) F

vegyjones
29th October 2005, 02:05
Very good...

What I understood of it :doh :laugh

tophatter
29th October 2005, 02:06
I was going to have an early night as well - now my brain hurts!

vegyjones
29th October 2005, 02:09
My brain always hurts!! :D

tophatter
29th October 2005, 02:15
My brain always hurts!! :D

That coz you sit on it all day! :laugh

vegyjones
29th October 2005, 02:16
:yikes:

You don't half get feisty early in the morning TH! :D

Yoda
29th October 2005, 02:19
5a, BLACK
12, 21 or 37 or 44

Yoda

sparkyminer
29th October 2005, 06:05
4 Light Amplification by Stimulated Emmission Radiation.

jap
29th October 2005, 11:40
6 is ten thirty d'ye ken?

TheGoodGuy
29th October 2005, 12:40
Good answers everyone........especially TH....excellent explanation for No16.

Just number 12 to go....

Ada.

Profit Seeker
29th October 2005, 18:23
I rthink I've got it I think I've got it...

After lots of trail and Error...

Q1 = B
Q2 = A
Q3 = TRUE
Q4 = FALSE
Q5 = FALSE

so

Charlie = 2
Alan = 1
James = 0
Mike = 4
Doug = 3

:D Am I right???? :D

Great 10,000th post here! :D I'll never forget it :doh

ziggs
29th October 2005, 19:58
Just number 12 to go....

Ada.

Well, it is one of these:

12) 3, 5, 14, 22, 30, 44, 10. Narrows it down a bit :)

So No 30 is the first ball ?

mathare
29th October 2005, 20:01
Thanks Ziggs.

I'll try 22 I think.

ziggs
29th October 2005, 20:03
Thanks Ziggs.

I'll try 22 I think.

I think I found it Mat, I had to Google for it though, no chance otherwise. It was that or 49 posts :yikes:

TheGoodGuy
30th October 2005, 00:06
No12. 30 was the first drawn ball on the UK Lottery on 19th Nov 1994.

QUIZ COMPLETE.

Ada.

TheGoodGuy
30th October 2005, 00:14
Vegy,

Is that right..........you made your 10,000th post on one of MY threads?????!!!!!!!.............and didn't even realise!!

I feel honoured to have such a W2W icon make such a memorable event happen here on one of my lowly quiz threads.
Thank you, thank you, thank you.

All publicity (only good) received as a result of this historic happening is gratefully appreciated.

Ada. :censored:

John
30th October 2005, 00:15
Is it just me, or do some people take life too seriously?

vegyjones
30th October 2005, 00:16
Although I think Profit Seeker miscounted...

My 1000th post was actually the one where I said about
Keith having a go at me for using all the bandwidth!!!

However, the problem solving one would have been more fitting! :D

vegyjones
30th October 2005, 00:16
Is it just me, or do some people take life too seriously?
It's just you! :D

TheGoodGuy
30th October 2005, 00:45
Cheers Veg,

:D :)

Ada.

sparkyminer
30th October 2005, 20:15
Vegy,

Is that right..........you made your 10,000th post on one of MY threads?????!!!!!!!.............and didn't even realise!!

I feel honoured to have such a W2W icon make such a memorable event happen here on one of my lowly quiz threads.
Thank you, thank you, thank you.

All publicity (only good) received as a result of this historic happening is gratefully appreciated.

Ada. :censored:
And last week it was the announcement of the new Vegy. There's a pattern emerging. What will it be this Friday?:)

rosinamae
30th October 2005, 23:44
6 is ten thirty d'ye ken?
Hello jap - do I know you from another forum? I think I do, bacause of the scorrybreck. Are you the little man with a red tie and a bowler hat? If you are I have a spreadsheet of all the Irish selections up to date. Do you want it e-mailed to you? Nice to be in touch again.
rosi

vegyjones
30th October 2005, 23:51
And last week it was the announcement of the new Vegy. There's a pattern emerging. What will it be this Friday?:)
Piggy is the father :D

Keep it under your hat :wink