PDA

View Full Version : Kraftwerk

bigcumba
22nd November 2005, 23:17
I'm at work just now listening to the new Kraftwerk double live CD "Minimum-Maximum". Absolutely superb! Those of you who are into the dance music scene will love this as if it wasn't for these guys your scene wouldn't exist - they are that influential! The album is choc full of classics, some of them very much revamped, but still unmistakeably Kraftwerk. Here's the excellent Wikipedia entry for the album with track listing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimum-Maximum

GlosRFC
22nd November 2005, 23:39
I have to admit a fondness for Tangerine Dream in my youth...whenever I see the name Kraftwerk, I just imagine some kind of German processed cheese :D

bigcumba
22nd November 2005, 23:47
The main problem with Tangerine Dream is where to start - must be about 200 albums out there! I have a couple of them - Phaedra, and Force Majeure - that one is a classic by any standard! Back in my own youth when I was getting into the headbanging stuff in a big way, my mates were a bit bemused when I bought Kraftwerk's The Model single... followed by Tubeway Army and a few other electronic type things... they thought I was going soft! I've always loved that sort of cold German style music, things like Amon Duul II, Can, Magma, Lucifers Friend... all great stuff!

Win2Win
23rd November 2005, 09:53
Blimey, I haven't heard of them since the 80's!! I used to listen to Saxon, Maiden...OMD :yikes: in those days!! ELO were pretty cool as well. :mover

flaming norah
23rd November 2005, 11:55
Bye eck, I haven't heard of Kraftwerk for ages. I first heard "robots" at a hi fi exibition in harrogate in the very early eighties, it's my fav track by them.

Now own up, who used to do robot dancing? Come on.........be honest :D

I did :D

bigcumba
23rd November 2005, 11:59
Not me, too busy keeping my air guitar in tune...:)

bigcumba
23rd November 2005, 12:03
ELO were pretty cool as well. :mover

I was a big fan of ELO as well, loved everything up to Out of The Blue, including the really early stuff with Roy Wood - well worth checking out!

flaming norah
23rd November 2005, 12:18
I play my elo greatest hits at least once a month they're brilliant.

Ah the old air guitar.......I still have mine, have you still got yours?

My eldest daughter and her Dad are currently learning to play the bass guitar, they've left me a list of tab sheets for songs to find and download for when they get back.

She's in a "band". There's her on the bass, her best mate on the drums, her best mates boyfriend on the guitar and he supposedly sings as well. They've played together twice.

They all trooped in the other night and announced they've got a gig in January!! :yikes:

I did my best to keep a straight face but it wasn't easy. Apparently me and Mr FN are roadies. Her grandads supplying all the sound equipment and as for the band, (who are called vague authority) they will show up on the night with hardly any practise time and just cobble something together. :D

Win2Win
23rd November 2005, 12:26
I used to play the drums, storage & practising without being shot by a neighbour was always a problem though.

I look at some of these 'bands' today and laugh at their kits, stick those drummers behind Maidens Nicko kit and they'd have a heart attack :laugh

flaming norah
23rd November 2005, 12:35
I can't stand most of my neighbours, when my kids were younger they were kept awake by them till all hours. But mine are growing up now, getting into music so it's our turn to p*ss them off. Mine are getting kick ass stereos for xmas and they both like rock music :D :D

The youngest has just started learning to play the violin (she's at the really bad stage :D ) so i make sure the windows open when she practises, if the weather was warmer she'd be practising in the garden :yikes:

bigcumba
23rd November 2005, 12:38
Ah the old air guitar.......I still have mine, have you still got yours?

Oh yeah, mine gets brought out on a regular basis, but I nearly left it on the train after the last gig I went to up in London, boy would I have fekt daft going to the left luggage place next day to collect it:)

Bass guitar - used to play myself in a punk band with a bit of goth and metal thrown in for good measure. Got the job as I could play Ace Of Spades :) We did a lot of our own stuff, plus a good few covers - The Damned's Love Song, Sabbath's Paranoid (Dickies version!), The Pistols Stepping Stone, Clash - Tommy Gun, Beastie Boys - Fight For Your Right To Party, The Jam's In The City, all great fun! We did a demo in a wee studio in Glasgow, still got it on tape, and it still sounds pretty good 17 years on - we had a great engineer who knew exactly what we were after sound wise. We also did a track on a compilation album sampler for a record company based near Hull - actually recorded in a studio that had been used by Queen and the Rolling Stones among others - quite an experience seeing how those bands worked!

Wish them all luck from me - nothing beats the buzz of playing live, even though I always got stage fright and neeeded about 6 pints before I could go on! Never interfered with my playing though.... I think! Even got asked for my autograph once - now that was funny! They'll get a real kick out of the first gig, and they'll be hooked, especially if goes well!

sparkyminer
23rd November 2005, 16:47
Got the job as I could play Ace Of Spades :)
No ***** sherlock. :wink :wiggle:

andyp
23rd November 2005, 16:52
I can't stand most of my neighbours, when my kids were younger they were kept awake by them till all hours. But mine are growing up now, getting into music so it's our turn to p*ss them off. Mine are getting kick ass stereos for xmas and they both like rock music :D :D

The youngest has just started learning to play the violin (she's at the really bad stage :D ) so i make sure the windows open when she practises, if the weather was warmer she'd be practising in the garden :yikes:

How cool are you at this parent job!! letting your kids play loud music and p155 the neighbours off... quality!

bigcumba
23rd November 2005, 16:53
No ***** sherlock. :wink :wiggle:

Was that a Clash 'B' side?

sparkyminer
23rd November 2005, 17:01
You hum it, I'll sing the words. :wink :D

bigcumba
23rd November 2005, 17:04
It's an instrumental, with the emphasis on the 'mental'

flaming norah
23rd November 2005, 17:21
How cool are you at this parent job!! letting your kids play loud music and p155 the neighbours off... quality!

Why thank you!! Mr FN Disagrees, but then he's a miserable old fart. My eldest brings all her mates round here and they sit with me and we all watch Kerrang. I think it's great they want to do that, I never wanted to sit with my parents and neither did my mates. Mr FN on the other hand wishes they would bugger off, while we mostly wish wish he would bugger off heh heh.

Next year we start massive rennovations on this place, which will result in an extra room for Mr FN to go and live in at the other end of the house. Then we can do what we want.
As for the noise the kids make, i'm lucky i have a fairly big (but extrememly knackered) house, there's enough room for all of us to pretty much do whatever we want.

andyp
23rd November 2005, 17:34
Why thank you!! Mr FN Disagrees, but then he's a miserable old fart. My eldest brings all her mates round here and they sit with me and we all watch Kerrang. I think it's great they want to do that, I never wanted to sit with my parents and neither did my mates. Mr FN on the other hand wishes they would bugger off, while we mostly wish wish he would bugger off heh heh.

Next year we start massive rennovations on this place, which will result in an extra room for Mr FN to go and live in at the other end of the house. Then we can do what we want.
As for the noise the kids make, i'm lucky i have a fairly big (but extrememly knackered) house, there's enough room for all of us to pretty much do whatever we want.

You sound like a well cool crazy (in a nice way :) ) parent. Should be more like you, instead of whinging old fuddy duddys who complain just for the sake of it! :wink

vegyjones
23rd November 2005, 17:38
You sound like a well cool crazy (in a nice way :) ) parent. Should be more like you, instead of whinging old fuddy duddys who complain just for the sake of it! :wink

Expect some neg rep fot his andy! :(

You#'ve just criticised over half the people on this forum :laugh :laugh

flaming norah
23rd November 2005, 17:41
Expect some neg rep fot his andy! :(

You#'ve just criticised over half the people on this forum :laugh :laugh

But not me :D