PDA

View Full Version : Ada's Friday Night Request For An Honest Opinion

TheGoodGuy
26th November 2005, 01:01
Hi all,

Seriously, everyone, I need your honest opinion on this one......

If a quiz was posted that offered a prize to the winner how would you prefer to submit your answers to (presumably) get the best advantage of winning?

Options......
1. Private Messaging (PM).
Problem......Only W2W members have this facility, so this is not an option for Registered Users & will reduce maximum participation.

2. Emailing your answers to the question setter.
Problem......I'm sure people will have reservations about using their personal/private Email address to enter such a competition, not knowing the integrity of the person you are sending your answers to.
This, I assume, will also have a detrimental effect on the number of participants who would otherwise be willing to take part in the quiz.

3. Posting your answers on the thread as normal (for all to see).
Problem......This would logically be the only sensible/safest option.........BUT.....as there is a prize at stake, and presumably some may enter purely because of the attraction/competition of actually winning something, this method would give other participants an 'unfair' advantage if they could see other people's answers and adjust theirs accordingly.

Basically, would you take part in one of my quizzes if I offered a prize and the only way to get your answers to me without anyone else seeing them, was to Email them to me?

Your opinion would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Ada.

vegyjones
26th November 2005, 01:06
I would participate "without" a prize!

They are very enjoyable! :D

Of the options suggested, I think B is best!

TheGoodGuy
26th November 2005, 01:11
Vegy,
Thanks for your reply kind Sir,
You obviously have the PM facility, but you wouldn't mind using your personal/private Email address to compete in a prize winning competition set by myself?

Ada.

vegyjones
26th November 2005, 01:14
No...

I trust you!

I think that is the best option if you don't want to restrict access to the comp!

I don't mind using my e-mail!

And if anyone else had any such problems, it only takes 2 minutes to set up a new hotmail account just for the purpose of entering the quiz! :wink

yerotsluap
26th November 2005, 01:15
Ada,
I think I would agree with Vegy on this one the email option would open it up to all members of the forum not just the members of the racing club.

bigcumba
26th November 2005, 01:15
definitely e-mail... anyone worried about using their main address can always set up a free Yahoo account - only takes 5 minutes and gives you a nifty 1Gb of space for nowt.... which is why I have 3 of them!

TheGoodGuy
26th November 2005, 01:16
Cheers Veg,
Let's hope others share your opinion.....

Thanks also BigC :wink
and Yerotsluap

Ada.

ziggs
26th November 2005, 01:22
I have Gmail, Hotmail, domain mail - I would have no problem with it, and I am sure you are trustworthy anyway, Ada :)

TheGoodGuy
26th November 2005, 01:26
Cheers Ziggs

Ada.

scaaty
26th November 2005, 01:38
Hi Ada - speaking as a very new member, I'd have no problem at all with using email. As the others have said, most people nowadays have gmail, yahoo etc and anyone who doesn't can set one up in minutes if they want to. I've been overwhelmed with reading material since joining and not had time to look at your quizzes yet, but certainly hope to participate at some point :)

wb
26th November 2005, 01:39

there was no 'B' option. :D It was 1,2 or 3!

No problem using e-mail. It is easy to set up a 'fun' account. in fact, I have a few e-mail addresses for all different uses.

Prize or not, I love the quiz. keep up the good work

TheGoodGuy
26th November 2005, 01:45
Many thanks WB,
& Scaaty - Hope you enjoy & benefit from the serious info offered on this site (& my fun quizzes)
My next quiz should be worth having a stab at........there 'could' be something to be won.....!

Ada.

TheOldhamWhisper
26th November 2005, 09:44
Looks like email is the best way to go. It'll also give me chance to get a few answers in before BigC :P

mathare
26th November 2005, 11:47
E-mail suits me too

Ruby
26th November 2005, 13:17
Hi Ada :)
I like your quizzes and like Vegy says, don't need a prize, just enjoy doing them.
I think e-mail is a good idea, you will of course have no way of telling if we google or not, but then if it's a quiz where we are not sort of interacting as we are in the forum, I suppose it doesn't matter! But as with all quizzes we try and answer as best we can first..does that make sense?
I personally don't think you would need to offer a prize to get peoples interest though :D

sparkyminer
26th November 2005, 13:19
I would participate "without" a prize!

They are very enjoyable! :D

Worryingly, I agree with Vegy. :yikes: :wiggle:

TheGoodGuy
26th November 2005, 13:29
I'll be offering a prize for the winner of my next quiz for 3 reasons really:

1. Christmas is coming.
2. As a thank you to you lot who have supported, encouraged & showered me with REP over the months/years.......a great incentive to keep posting them, believe me.
3. I'm trying to shake off the 'Ebenezer Scrooge' tag that I invariably get lumbered with at this time of year.......bah humbug. :)

Ada.