PDA

View Full Version : 2nd fav - stop at a winner

presto
26th December 2005, 14:46
was having a chat with my uncle yesturday (who worked in a bookies for some time) about the horses yesturday. who was telling me about this system, and how the bookies hated this type of bet.

i am very sceptical about this type of bet, and started reeling out stat's of consecutive losing fav's and the dangers of loss chasing etc..... but he said it would be worth looking into as the liability is greatly reduced as the odd's for 2nd fav's are higher than fav's.

as i say i am very sceptical - but has anyone here tried this system?

bigcumba
26th December 2005, 15:00
I wouldn't want to risk it for the reasons you've already mentioned. I think bookies are probably paranoid in general about anyone who uses a systematic approach.

Profit Seeker
26th December 2005, 20:12
That baffling stop at a winner rule again! Never could fathom that :doh

system1
5th March 2006, 12:00
I think theres something to be said for stopping at a winner, think about it if you go into each days looking for several winners, most of the time you will be dissappointed. its a lot less stressful (and easier) if your goal is to find just one winner. it forms a part of a working system i have.

Win2Win
5th March 2006, 12:36
:doh That doesn't make logical sense.

system1
5th March 2006, 12:47
It would if you knew the rest of the system. which includes a selection system that selects 1 winner in 5 75% of the time and a staking system that profits from that, the system allows for losing days. it works, its slow and steady, but it works.

mathare
5th March 2006, 12:55
which includes a selection system that selects 1 winner in 5 75% of the timeSo a 15% SR then? You'd better be hitting some longshots to make that pay

Win2Win
5th March 2006, 13:15
No, stop-at-a-winner makes no sense what so ever, no matter what way you look at it. It is a staking plan that results in missing winners, and reduced long term profit guaranteed.

vegyjones
5th March 2006, 13:18
I used to have a system that was fairly successful,

it involved backing 2nd favourites whose odds were 5-1 or greater.
You had to have at least 5 qualifiers er day
Stop at a winner, but don't exceed 5 bets per day!

It was fairly successful,

But I only tried it on intermitant days, not over a long period of time! :)

Profit Seeker
5th March 2006, 15:22
So if the day was a 1000 hour long day instead of a 24hr one, you would still stop at a winner? It makes no difference what time of day it is, a strike rate works over continous time, it won't be a 75% sr by stopping for the day but a 50% sr if including all the races for the day :doh On days where you stopped, you'll have missed another potential few winners on some days.

The only time stopping early will truly work is for method betting whereby you will be stopping because you're no longer in the mood or your brain is too vegged to carry on reading form for the day. And that's where true skill and discipline comes into it once more, a trait I'm trying not too successfully to teach myself Ooo

system1
6th March 2006, 13:32
I havent got a 15% strike rate, over 60% of the time i get the first bet in, and i stop. I pick a horse in most of the races going, and monitor my strike rate. but i only make 5 bets max. I,m not saying its the way to make the most money, but gambling is highly stressful so for the sake of my brain, i stop when i,m ahead.

andyp
7th March 2006, 12:26
I am currently testing a greyhound system, where i stop at a winner and double my stakes after each loser (extremely risky i know). After a month and half it is showing around a £1000 profit, but that could soon be wiped out if i had a few bad days!

I will keep monitoring it out of interest.

wb
7th March 2006, 12:29
I am currently testing a greyhound system, where i stop at a winner and double my stakes after each loser (extremely risky i know). After a month and half it is showing around a £1000 profit, but that could soon be wiped out if i had a few bad days!

I will keep monitoring it out of interest.

What stake did you start with andy?

vegyjones
7th March 2006, 12:29
£1 :yikes: