PDA

View Full Version : How long does it take...

wb
10th February 2006, 00:30
For you to analyse a single race?

Im just interested to know how long it takes other people to analyse a race.

At the moment, on my main system, I run the data through a spreadsheet. Between looking up the data, and entering it into the spreadsheet, it takes approx 15 mins per race, for a race of about 10 or 12 runners.

Is this a good or bad amount of time to analyse a race?

How long do you spend on each race with your system?

vegyjones
10th February 2006, 00:33
I can normally discount several runners in less than a minute.

Getting it down to 2 or 3 takes 2 or 3 more...

Deciding which of the top 2 or 3... varies between 2-8 minutes... depending on difficulty of the race.

So about 12 minutes...

But usually, the winners are always are in the lot I discarded after a minute :doh :laugh :laugh

wb
10th February 2006, 00:39
Is this method betting vegy?

Im just wondering if Im wasting time analysing.

Basically, I run the stats for every runner in the race through the spreadsheet, and as I say, It is a little time consuming with a good few runners. Just wondering if anyone disgards say the last two or three in the betting or something like that........ or would this go against the principle that sometimes systems throw up the odd long shot winner?

silax
10th February 2006, 00:44
how well do you know excell wayne
basically it takes me about 1 minute a race to run the stats through the spread sheet.
before i got someone to tell me how it took ******* ages

wb
10th February 2006, 00:47
Im ok at it, I've got a lot of help off the lads here. Im no expert, but can do the basics, so I'm as good as the next man I suppose.

For example:
One part of the system takes into consideration the jockeys track record.

I have to go to the RP website, Look up the data, enter it into the cell etc.
And this is only one of about six variables. This is why it is so time consuming. Going from the RP site, getting the info, then entering it.

I tried hard to find a way of cutting and pasting the data, but it just was not possible to match the stats with the relevant cells if you know what I mean.

vegyjones
10th February 2006, 00:51
When method betting, I think that you get faster with familiarity
knowing horses that you have looked at before...

Perhaps their isn't such a factor to help speed things up when using excel

Mathare posted some threads recently about his learning to race read...
they were pretty insightful! :)

Win2Win
10th February 2006, 09:32
For method betting/laying, it will take me less than a minute per race.

I don't have to look through a horses form, I already know it from watching it previously, and I mentally know all the stats, to know what does & doesn't have a chance.

mathare
10th February 2006, 10:40
I don't watch racing very often at all so I don't know the form in the same way Keith does.

When I was doing my detailed analysis of each runner that Vegy mentioned it would take me about an hour to do a race and that's with fields of a dozen or less. Most of that time was spent looking at the RP site, trying to spot trends and checking out stats for the trainer and jockey.

With Proform I can now do a whole day's racing in a hour and produce my Plays and Lays during that time.

Profit Seeker
12th February 2006, 01:32
Each of my systems take completely different times, but method wise I take about 3-5 minutes per race which I usually make decisions on contrary or in line with my system bets. Some races are instantly voided according to various sets of ratings used too.

presto
12th February 2006, 01:57
i have seen most races since april, and you sort of subconsiously take in a lot of info. and usually just looking at the name will, send you brain scanning your long term memory, doing this it dosn't take long to sum up a race. from this i normally form a mental book, and seek the value. - a lot like keith.

i did give form reading / stats a go. but this took me ages to work out - 15mins+ per race. i would never look at the odd's. but try and price it up myself etc. however after all this effort i would pick the favourite every single time - often with no true value imo.

MarcusMel
12th February 2006, 03:42
I have written a program to grab and store info from the RP site.

I can then run a system selection program. This can still take time as I save the raw files and if the RP change layout or format I have to adjust my program. The Layout for race distance is a bit of a bugger at the moment.

If I was doing in depth race reading for a method bet then it would take half an hour or more to look at a race. As I would read how each horse ran in each of its previous races - breeding trainer/jocky stats etc. Eventually one horse would become a certaintity in my mind.

Win2Win
12th February 2006, 09:21
Each of my systems take completely different times, but method wise I take about 3-5 minutes per race which I usually make decisions on contrary or in line with my system bets. Some races are instantly voided according to various sets of ratings used too.
Going by your results, isn't it quicker using a pin? :laugh :wink

Profit Seeker
12th February 2006, 12:00
The pro loser pin you lent me broke but my new one works, hence my overall P/L for all posts ever on this forum is plenty high enough thankyou :)