PDA

View Full Version : How many variables?

wb
20th February 2006, 15:00
Im just wondering how many variables people consider to produce their selections.

I am currently working on a new, what I suppose you could call system. I run the stats through a spreadsheet that I have created to get a rating for each horse. It is showing a slight profit after a month, but obviously I want to maximise this.

Currently, in this particular system the variables included are:

1. The RP rating
2. The last 4 outings
3. The jockey's track record
4. The jockey's overall record
5. The trainer's track record
6. The trainer's overall record

I have often heard that you should keep things as simple as possible, but I don't want to miss out on important stats either. Is 6 variables too much/little to consider?

How many variables do you lot include to produce selections

Win2Win
20th February 2006, 15:05
0 - 15, different for every system/method

vegyjones
20th February 2006, 15:09
Difficult to say as Keith says, but in essence I look at

Horses last several meetings
Horses course record
Horses going record
Horses distance record
Horse + Jockey record
Official rating
Jockey allowance
Horses defeators races since meeting

Looking at all that usually helps me tip a horse that loses! :laugh

mathare
20th February 2006, 15:14
You ought to be careful using RP ratings here as you don't know what they factor in and to what extent. By using them and last 4 outings, for example, you could find that you are weighting the last 3 outings far more heavily than any other factor in the equation if it features heavily in the calculations for the RP rating

wb
20th February 2006, 15:16
You ought to be careful using RP ratings here as you don't know what they factor in and to what extent. By using them and last 4 outings, for example, you could find that you are weighting the last 3 outings far more heavily than any other factor in the equation if it features heavily in the calculations for the RP rating

I see what you mean mat. I was using them because I often disagree with the OR, and found the RPR to be more balanced, but as you say, you can't be sure of the factors included. Will watch out for that, thanks