PDA

View Full Version : Lateral Thinking Question

frontrunner
7th July 2006, 09:33
Here's something different for you Lateral Thinking questions :)

Egg Enigma

If an average hen's egg is 5cm long, and weighs 300 grams, and an average peacock's egg is exactly twice the length and is 2.5 times the weight, which has the greater circumference?

Frontrunner
:spinning

andyp
7th July 2006, 09:42
I know this, but i will not give the answer away! :wink

MattR
7th July 2006, 09:44
I can't even begin to think about that until I know which came first :D

mathare
7th July 2006, 10:27
I think I know the answer. At least I know an answer...

Peacocks don't lay eggs, peahens do

frontrunner
7th July 2006, 10:33
I will put up the answer at about 8.30pm tonight (Friday) :)

Good for you AP :wink

A very good line matt :wink

Frontrunner

mathare
7th July 2006, 10:39
300g sounds very heavy for a hens egg though. I know that's not the point of the question but even so. Half a dozen eggs would then weigh nearly the same as two bags of sugar.

vegyjones
7th July 2006, 10:41
E 4 B 4 George Best, Dennis Law & all the rest! :D

markwales
7th July 2006, 11:05
I got asked this last Saturday down the pub.... so won't divulge the answer :D

frontrunner
7th July 2006, 11:11
I think I know the answer. At least I know an answer...

Frontrunner

Roberto
7th July 2006, 11:46
I don't know what "circumference" means when applied to an elliptoid, I can only envisage it applying to a sphere or a circle ... :doh

GlosRFC
7th July 2006, 12:21
Hehe...got an answer :D

vegyjones
7th July 2006, 12:32
Do Hen's lay eggs? :doh

GlosRFC
7th July 2006, 13:06
Do Hen's lay eggs? :doh

Eggsactly!!

MarcusMel
7th July 2006, 13:17
For me the trouble with the answer your suggesting is why give datum on it in the first place? So if you know the peacock is inside the egg that would make some sort of sense, but then that would invalidate the answer your sugessting - which is sort of paradoxical. Just don't understand how you simplfy to find the answers you do. wholelistic thinking seems to get me into a lot confusion with the way you normal people think.

bigcumba
7th July 2006, 13:26
I have an answer as well.... it's a trick question.... and I think Glos has the same idea as me :)

TheOldhamWhisper
7th July 2006, 15:15
For me the trouble with the answer your suggesting is why give datum on it in the first place? So if you know the peacock is inside the egg that would make some sort of sense, but then that would invalidate the answer your sugessting - which is sort of paradoxical. Just don't understand how you simplfy to find the answers you do. wholelistic thinking seems to get me into a lot confusion with the way you normal people think.

Yeah - but was that before it crossed the road? Ooo

roma
7th July 2006, 15:33
Yes I can see the answer! There are some big hints above!

bigcumba
7th July 2006, 15:38
Yes I can see the answer! There are some big hints above!

might be a red herring though, and it's eggs are much smaller :)

mathare
7th July 2006, 15:58
Yes I can see the answer! There are some big hints above!Including the answer!

Fadetoblack
7th July 2006, 16:06
Well Peacocks are male.... There's no such thing as a female peacock...that's a peahen...and they do lay eggs...

andyp
7th July 2006, 16:08
Well Peacocks are male.... There's no such thing as a female peacock...that's a peahen...and they do lay eggs...

That is the answer i had! :spinning

MarcusMel
7th July 2006, 16:14
So what does peacock egg mean in the question? I interprit that to mean an egg with a developing peacock inside it. Which invalidates your answer!

mathare
7th July 2006, 16:17
So what does peacock egg mean in the question? I interprit that to mean an egg with a developing peacock inside it. Which invalidates your answer!The contents of the egg are irrelevant. It may contain a peacock or a peahen, it may even be infertile. But that's unimportant. It's the origin of the egg that matters

MarcusMel
7th July 2006, 16:18
The other way of interpriting a peacock's egg is to see it as an egg fertilised by a peacock.

MarcusMel
7th July 2006, 16:23
So why give a datum in the qustion that does not exist? If we interprit language strictly then there is more confusion yet it is perfectly acceptable in the case to interprit it strickly. Why?

MarcusMel
7th July 2006, 16:27
The qustion is about the circumference of eggs not about the origion of eggs therefore the mistake about where they come from is irrelivent or so experices of the way people use language would have me believe.

MattR
7th July 2006, 16:27
I think the bigger question is who first saw the egg come out and thought, you know what? I'll eat that.

MarcusMel
7th July 2006, 16:35
IQ question - (another one that annoyed me)

Atom is to Nuculus as Operating System is to : ??????

But not all operating systems have one so how can the answer be valid :rolleyes:

mathare
7th July 2006, 16:41
What's the answer to the IQ question then MM? The nucleus is part of an atom but how many people would know what makes up an OS?

mathare
7th July 2006, 16:43
The qustion is about the circumference of eggs not about the origion of eggs therefore the mistake about where they come from is irrelivent or so experices of the way people use language would have me believe.But one of the eggs doesn't exist, it's a trick question. The origin of the egg is important because there is no such thing as a peacock's egg. That is the egg of the peacock, interpreting the language strictly. The peacock creates no egg, he simply fertilises eggs from the peahen but the egg is from and of the peahen.

Fadetoblack
7th July 2006, 16:45
How many cubic feet of earth are there in a hole 2 yards wide,
3 yards long, and 4 yards deep?

mathare
7th July 2006, 16:46
I know:

none - it's a hole

Fadetoblack
7th July 2006, 16:48
I could go on with these all day, but because they're lateral thinking questions, you'll always be looking for the sting.

but I'll tell you what...ill keep a few going until I catch you.

You're the pilot of an airplane that travels from New York to
Chicago - a distance of 800 miles. The ai.rplane travels at 200
m.p.h. and makes one stop for 30 minutes. What is the pilot's name?

MarcusMel
7th July 2006, 16:51
How many cubic feet of earth are there in a hole 2 yards wide,
3 yards long, and 4 yards deep?

But its a hole:yikes: That one makes sense.

MarcusMel
7th July 2006, 16:52
I could go on with these all day, but because they're lateral thinking questions, you'll always be looking for the sting.

but I'll tell you what...ill keep a few going until I catch you.

You're the pilot of an airplane that travels from New York to
Chicago - a distance of 800 miles. The ai.rplane travels at 200
m.p.h. and makes one stop for 30 minutes. What is the pilot's name?

Me - Also easy!

Fadetoblack
7th July 2006, 16:56
ok so. scrap that.

The following sentences have two blanks that can be filled with two words that are anagrams of each other. Please find those words

1. My __________ are so talented that we are putting on a show. My extended family is so __________ that we have singers, dancers, a magician as well as a band.

2. As the crime scene was in the grove of __________, the __________ team was having a hard time collecting evidence.

3. My wife bought eight __________ at the fruit stand. As there is only seven in my family, she had a __________ one.

mathare
7th July 2006, 16:57
3. Pears, spare

MarcusMel
7th July 2006, 17:00
But one of the eggs doesn't exist, it's a trick question. The origin of the egg is important because there is no such thing as a peacock's egg. That is the egg of the peacock, interpreting the language strictly. The peacock creates no egg, he simply fertilises eggs from the peahen but the egg is from and of the peahen.

So its acceptable to make the language mistake in this case because its a trick or puzzle question? Does that mean that these things do not occur outside of trick questions?

Answer to IQ - Kernal.

Fadetoblack
7th July 2006, 17:01
A good effor Matt. (it's spelt peer)

mathare
7th July 2006, 17:10
A good effor Matt. (it's spelt peer):doh

mathare
7th July 2006, 17:12
So its acceptable to make the language mistake in this case because its a trick or puzzle question? What language mistake? The question asks you to compare a hen's egg and a peacock's egg. Contrast an egg from a hen with one from a peacock. But you can't have an egg from a peacock. There is no language mistake here. In fact the whole strict application of the language to the question is how you get the answer.

Fadetoblack
7th July 2006, 17:13
What? There's 2 e's in peers and only one in spare. So it can't be right can it? Unless you think the person has talented fruit? I might be right I guess

mathare
7th July 2006, 17:16
Pears are fruit. Spare is an anagram of pears.

The words are different for each of the three sentences right? I'm after 6 words not 2 in total?

Fadetoblack
7th July 2006, 17:18
No. Pears and would've had to of been from the first sentence

mathare
7th July 2006, 17:20
No. Pears and would've had to of been from the first sentence:doh

So the six missing words are all anagrams of each other? Or are there only two words and each word is used three times (once per sentence)? Or are there 3 sets of 2 words with each word pair being a pair of anagrams?

mathare
7th July 2006, 17:21
No. Pears and would've had to of been from the first sentenceNow there's a language mistake Marcus. 'Of' instead of 'have' - all too common these days too :(

Fadetoblack
7th July 2006, 17:24
That is true...and it's one I never usually make!!! I was rushing that sentence ad wasn't thinking properly. But nicely chastised. Well done.

And it's fairly simple Matt, two words from each sentence, they're both anagrams of each other. How the hell are you making this so cimplicated?

Fadetoblack
7th July 2006, 17:26
Ok. Humble pie time. I thought you were answering the first one.....didn't see the 3 part.

:laugh

pears, spare is correct for 3. I'm logging off for a while now!

mathare
7th July 2006, 17:34
Ok. Humble pie time. I thought you were answering the first one.....didn't see the 3 part.

:laugh

pears, spare is correct for 3. I'm logging off for a while now!Ha! In your face "Super"man :wink

mathare
7th July 2006, 17:35
I was rushing that sentence ad wasn't thinking properly.At a guess you rushed that one too :laugh

Fadetoblack
7th July 2006, 18:06
:brrr

MarcusMel
7th July 2006, 18:30
What language mistake? The question asks you to compare a hen's egg and a peacock's egg. Contrast an egg from a hen with one from a peacock. But you can't have an egg from a peacock. There is no language mistake here. In fact the whole strict application of the language to the question is how you get the answer.

Its a language mistake to give a datum that does not exist! Because if you give out information you must have measured it or sourced it from somewhere in the first place. If it is made up imaginary data how is the person supposed to know its misleading data?

There would be two mistakes in the question. 1 the data false 2 eggs don't origionate from peacocks. If you assume the data is real then the way in which 'peacock' is being used can be ignored. If 'peacock' is accurate then the data is imaginary.(and for some reason that makes me cross :spinning )

Now there is a third factor, does the person being asked the question 'know' its a trick question? In this case yes as you are told its a lateral thinking question, but that does not necessarily have to be said which would make the whole thing harder to determine.

If you look at humans it is possible to say 'I'm my fathers son!' Which means that it would be quite legal to say a peacock's egg unless your telling me that this is one of those exceptions. In most cases in language the children are the product of both parents the the association of belonging to mother and/or father is used. Now for the 'sake' of a trick question you stop that broader association.

Just irritating that you can't 'see' how the relationships and concepts bond together and are similar to each other. That my problem though:D

TheOldhamWhisper
7th July 2006, 18:30
2. conifers forensic

MarcusMel
7th July 2006, 18:41
Admittedly you don' say a cockrals eggs though. Sorry i'm just trying to get the thinking process' clear or what key factors I should be looking out for.

Fadetoblack
7th July 2006, 19:00
2. conifers forensic

Excellent.

frontrunner
7th July 2006, 20:05
Well the time has arrived for me to give the answer :) I have decided to put another one up as there seems to be alot of interest in lateral thinking :mover Marcus seems to be enjoying himself :D

And the answer is...............Peacocks do not lay eggs :doh

Well done to those of you who got it right

Frontrunner

Fadetoblack
7th July 2006, 20:11
Haha, trust us to take a reasonably straightforward answer and squeeze it until it talks....

TheOldhamWhisper
7th July 2006, 20:40
1 Relatives Versatile

Fadetoblack
7th July 2006, 20:46
1 Relatives Versatile

That really is excellent. I thought those two were particularly hard.

Fadetoblack
7th July 2006, 20:51
Brother Ben was a brother of the Archdiocese of Puzzles.

Every month at the Archdiocese, a tourist group toured throughout the monastery. One room of particular note was Brother Ben's. The tourists were lead in through the only door in and out of the room. It contained a rather dusty desk fully equipped with musty blank scrolls, dried up ink wells, and a quill. There was a trap door that housed Brother Ben's valuables, as well, but that remained locked as the tours progressed. Through the only window in the room, which was barred up and only one foot tall by one foot wide, one could see the excellent view of the ocean.

When it was ascertained that all of the tourists were inside the room, the only door was locked until the tourists agreed to pay up money towards the Archdiocese of Puzzles. Yet every time this occurred, Brother Ben was able to escape the room flawlessly.

How is this possible?

roma
8th July 2006, 10:54
He's a ghost :D
or a mouse

Fadetoblack
8th July 2006, 10:58
Ghost?????????!!!!!!

Correct, well done :wink

As the school year was progressing, a teacher was distressed that more and more of her students were beginning to tease and make fun of one another. She decided to do something about it. When they returned to the classroom after Spring Break, they saw a mirror on the wall with a sign next to it.
When one of the students came to her crying about the names she had been called at recess, she sent the girl to the mirror with these directions: Read that sign quietly to yourself. Repeat it over and over, gradually running the sounds together. Each time, look at yourself in the mirror. Soon you will be smiling.
Sure enough, when the student followed these directions, she came away smiling.
Each time a student would come to the teacher feeling low, she would give them the same directions. Sometimes they would have difficulty, so she would go over to read the sign with them. Eventually, each one would come away smiling.
This is what the sign said: I.Y.Q.Y.Q.R.

Why did this little exercise help her students feel better about themselves?

TheOldhamWhisper
8th July 2006, 11:15

I like you like you are

Fadetoblack
8th July 2006, 11:18
Correct!

MarcusMel
8th July 2006, 11:19
Yeah I got it!

Fadetoblack
8th July 2006, 11:23
The Seekers of Knowledge found themselves on another quest. This time they had to enter the great wizard tower of Vanya. She was to be caught and brought back to the city of Raptin for justice to be served.

Within the tower, the group had encountered many deadly traps and a few roaming monsters. These monsters had been altered using alchemy and were no longer natural. The group had taken many injuries and was having a hard time reaching Vanya.

They had entered a room that had a wooden chest in the right corner. It was a fancy chest with engravings and pictures on it. On the top of the wooden chest was some writing. Unfortunately, some of the letters were worn smooth and the message was unreadable.

Sid, being one of the smartest, realized it was a clue as to where they might find Vanya. The group secured the room and began to work on the clue message.

Can you help find the missing letters indicated by the *'s to complete the message and help the group find Vanya?

The wooden chest had the following written on the lid:

*h**e *o*r *e*r* i*, t***e i* yo** tr*a*u*e, w**re **ur *re*s*r* *s, t*e*e *s *o*r **ar*.

Missing Letters:
TTTYYYRRRRRWEEEEEEHHHHHUUUUAASSSOII

MarcusMel
8th July 2006, 11:55
From the works of Lewis Carroll (a.k.a) Mr Dodgson.

Changing one leter at a time.

Drive PIG into STY

PIG
---
---
---
---
STY

TheOldhamWhisper
8th July 2006, 11:59
Where your heart is, there is your treasure. Where your treasure is, there is your heart.

Fadetoblack
8th July 2006, 12:00
How do you keep doing that?? Want another?

roma
8th July 2006, 12:13
I have done yours Fade ... wouldn't have been much help to them though would it?

andyp
10th July 2006, 13:24
Ghost?????????!!!!!!

Correct, well done :wink

As the school year was progressing, a teacher was distressed that more and more of her students were beginning to tease and make fun of one another. She decided to do something about it. When they returned to the classroom after Spring Break, they saw a mirror on the wall with a sign next to it.
When one of the students came to her crying about the names she had been called at recess, she sent the girl to the mirror with these directions: Read that sign quietly to yourself. Repeat it over and over, gradually running the sounds together. Each time, look at yourself in the mirror. Soon you will be smiling.
Sure enough, when the student followed these directions, she came away smiling.
Each time a student would come to the teacher feeling low, she would give them the same directions. Sometimes they would have difficulty, so she would go over to read the sign with them. Eventually, each one would come away smiling.
This is what the sign said: I.Y.Q.Y.Q.R.

Why did this little exercise help her students feel better about themselves?

:doh This one is doing my head in... please give me the answer. ( ihave even tried it out in the mirror and still cant figure it out!)

vegyjones
10th July 2006, 13:27
IYQYQR

Say the letters fast andy and pretent you have a wisp!

mathare
10th July 2006, 13:28
:doh This one is doing my head in... please give me the answer. ( ihave even tried it out in the mirror and still cant figure it out!)Eye why queue why queue are

Read that and imagine a soppy, girly kids cartoon sort of voice.

Now go back and read Oldham's answer by highlighting the 'blank' space in his post

andyp
10th July 2006, 13:32
Thanks! :)