PDA

View Full Version : Hi all, and :helper please!?!

Swipez
28th September 2006, 10:27
Hello all.

A quick introduction.

Im pretty new to the whole racing game and betting for profit (except for a short stint back in 2000, more later). I know very little about horse racing, forms, race types (flat 'n' hurdle is about it), jockeys trainers or anything else really. I'm not very good at maths (though i can manage to work out a strike rate).

So any system (A set of rules used to pick a horse, whether you think it has a chance or not?) or method (a set of loose rules open to change by human emotion?) has to be fairly simple for me to cope with.

Now back in 2000 i found myself unemployed and looking after a friends large stack of racing posts. I had a computer and a small knowledge of excel. I develpoed a few simple rules based on a,b,c and d races. and then i spent a few weeks keying data into excel.

Some numbers for the mathematicians out there.
May 99.
Number of races 69.
Number of bets 42.
Number of wins 14.
Number of place wins 18.
Points profit 76.61.

April 2000
Number of races 63.
Number of bets 32.
Number of wins 13.
Number of place wins 15.
Points profit 61.86.

The bit i need help with ....
Is there somewhere i can get all the data provided by the racing post, online, and in a form that i can import into a database / excel to test my rules against? I want to paper test the system vs races over more time to ensure it stays profitable.

Many thanks in advance for your help
a clueless newbie

Win2Win
28th September 2006, 10:40
If you want importable results you need to pay for them, unless you do them one at a time in SL or RP.

Swipez
28th September 2006, 10:49
'Lo again,

Mmmmm I hate those two words "Pay For" ... Oh well if thats the only way, where can I get this information, and how much is it?

Cheers

Win2Win
28th September 2006, 10:54
RSB, Raceform, Superform, Racexpert, Timeform....etc...just Search Google

Swipez
28th September 2006, 11:02
Thanks Keith.

As an aside, what do you think to the numbers? worth following up ya think?

Cheers

Win2Win
28th September 2006, 11:30
Not enough data to go on :)

Swipez
28th September 2006, 11:37
Baring testing over a longer period of time what data is needed to qualify a system?

Win2Win
28th September 2006, 11:52
Depends on what it's based on. A system based on draw positions, may only work for one meeting, but generally, the lower the SR, the more test data.....
50% - 100
20% - 500

...although that is simplifying it....

Swipez
28th September 2006, 12:10
Well the system is a little more complicated than just draw positions.. in fact they ain't even in it :lickme

It does contain, betting forecast, RPR, weights, days between races, previous placings and a couple of other qualifiers.

Based on wins only over the 2 months mentioned it has a strike rate of 33.33% and 40.63% it does not pick many favorites (2 in 1st month) winners priced 4/1 up to 10/1 pretty common the odd 25/1 dotted in. 2 fav's in second month too. rest between 5/1 and 12/1. All over various meets.

The thing i didnt record was if it was flats, jumps or what :splapme hence the need for downloadable data. I can test it all then.

Win2Win
28th September 2006, 12:33
Get a demo of RSB , and mention Win2Win

Swipez
28th September 2006, 12:45
Ta velly muchly, ordered.