PDA

View Full Version : Cheltenham

GlosRFC
27th February 2007, 15:18
Two weeks to go...so here's a quick quiz about the town:

1. Name the horse that won the first ever official race at Cheltenham
2. Which horse won the first Gold Cup Steeplechase
3. Where did Cheltenham Town FC play their first home games?
4. When were Cheltenham Town FC formed?
5. Racing isn't the only festival held in Cheltenham each year. Can you name another two?
6. Which spy base is located in the town? Government Communications Headquarters (GCHQ)
7. Why are pigeons included in the town crest?
8. Which member of Scott's expedition to the South Pole came from Cheltenham?
9. Another famous Cheltonian was a member of the Rolling Stones...who? Brian Jones
10. "I who am dead a thousand years" is the opening line to a poem by which poet, educated at Dean Close School, Cheltenham?

Bonus question: Which horse won two successive races at the Cheltenham Festival?

mathare
27th February 2007, 15:22
6. Gchq

GlosRFC
27th February 2007, 16:12
Correct....bonus question added

bigmazey
1st March 2007, 15:29
9. Brian Jones. I believe his bust is in a shopping centre in Cheltenham

GlosRFC
1st March 2007, 18:06
Correct on 9

bigmazey
2nd March 2007, 02:56

Godspot
7th March 2007, 11:46
1// 1924, Fred Rees rode Red Splash to win the first running of the Cheltenham Gold Cup by a head & a neck from in 2nd, Conjuror II & 3rd, Gerlad L respectively.

5// A Jazz Festival, a Literature Festival, a Science Festival, a Folk Festival

4// Trials were held at East Glos Cricket Ground in 1887 & the club was born.

3// The team played at three grounds within half a mile of their current home, namely Agg-Gardner’s Recreation Ground, Whaddon Lane & Carter’s Field.

If you go to Cheltenham Town FC website I think you'll find Bigmazey was right first time.

Fadetoblack
7th March 2007, 11:52
Bonus question: Montelado

Godspot
7th March 2007, 12:41
8// Dr Edward Adrian Wilson, “Uncle Bill,” (July 23, 1872 – March 29, 1912). Born & raised at the Crippetts farm near Cheltenham. He was one of 5 that reached the South Pole with Scott on Jan 17, 1912. Didn’t have so much fun on the way back, from what I hear!

Godspot
7th March 2007, 12:50
10// James Elroy Flecker, who’s old man was the school’s headmaster. I’d have a guess at the poem being called, “To a Poet a Thousand Years Hence.”

Might just have time to dig up the pigeon's one!

Godspot
7th March 2007, 13:00
7// "The crest embodies and denotes the legend of the discovery of the mineral waters to which Cheltenham owed its rise as an island watering place, and to which attention was drawn by flocks of pigeons resorting to a saline spring which rose to the surface."

All thanks to the Cheltenham Borough Council website!

Fadetoblack
7th March 2007, 13:22
So in otherwards, you cheated.

Godspot
7th March 2007, 17:51
You never heard of the Clash? Of course I cheated, if that's what you call it. I haven't got books on some of those topics but I don't see any harm in using alternative techniques (ie, the internet) to finding things out - I was just seeing how fast it could be done. Even so, there are still some there I can't find answers to & one of my usual Racing sites is blocking any access, bit gutted about that. Let's just hope they don't ask who won the 2007 Champion Hurdle - I wouldn't know where to look:doh

GlosRFC
13th March 2007, 20:04
Sorry for the delay...finally managed to get things sorted but....

...I lost the file containing the answers. So here they are as I remember them:

1. Miss Tidmarsh won the first official race in 1818
2. Red Splash won the first Gold Cup Steeplechase although the first ever Gold Cup winner was Spectre in 1819
3. Cheltenham FC's first home games were played at Grafton Cricket Ground
4. Some debate but most accept that the official history starts from 1892
5. Pick from Music, Literature, Jazz, Folk or Science
6. GCHQ
7. The pigeons were seen sipping at the mineral springs which first put Cheltenham Spa on the map
8. Edward Wilson
9. Brian Jones
10. James Elroy Flecker and it was To A Poet A Thousand Years Hence

Bonus: Montelado - won the 1992 Champion Bumper and followed up by winning the Supreme Novices' Hurdle in 1993