PDA

View Full Version : The Bible and Dinosaurs

vegyjones
10th May 2007, 11:37
I found this quite amusing! :D

http://www.answersingenesis.org/docs/2.asp

Definitely puts them "crazy evolutionsists" in their place :laugh

Fopr those that believe thisa, I apologise for mocking you! Please forgive me! :peeky

petercide
10th May 2007, 12:06
lol that is quality.

why not just explain how the bible actually backs up evolutionary theory I dont know.

bigcumba
10th May 2007, 12:07
Fopr those that believe thisa, I apologise for mocking you! Please forgive me! :peeky

I don't... if those folk weren't so downright dangerous with their views, that sort of article would be more hilarious than it its. Sadly that sort of creatioist viewpoint is becoming more an more prevalent in the US and it is starting to pick up here as well. Personally I'd shoot the idiots as we could do with a cull of the weaker minded specimens.. that would prove evolution beyond any doubt :wink

Jonny2621
10th May 2007, 12:16
Personally I'd shoot the idiots as we could do with a cull of the weaker minded specimens..

Stop being such a weak, do-gooder Liberal BigC !:Blacklistnonono: :D

bigcumba
10th May 2007, 12:24
They could also be thrown to the lions... that would at least allow them some empathy with their predecessors... :laugh

vegyjones
10th May 2007, 12:24
that sort of creatioist viewpoint is becoming more an more prevalent in the US and it is starting to pick up here as well.

You're having a giraffe surely?

bigcumba
10th May 2007, 12:29
You're having a giraffe surely?

Nope, deadly serious on that point mate, there are some of the more fundamentalist christians in the States trying to get their State laws changed to ban the teaching of evolution in state schools - I think Kansas was very close to going down that road recently, and some fee paying schools are already doing that, and there is a small but as usual vocal (and growing) minority in this country who are trying to get creationism taught as the real thing and evolution taught as just a theory (no doubt a crackpot one at that).

vegyjones
10th May 2007, 12:31
where are all the evolutionsists and "normal" people while this is going on?

sparkyminer
10th May 2007, 12:33
I'm convinced.:laugh

sparkyminer
10th May 2007, 12:35
I think George Dubya is a creationist.:yikes: :splapme

bigcumba
10th May 2007, 12:36
I think George Dubya is a creationist.:yikes: :splapme

I doubt he could even pronounce 'creationist' never mind understand the concept! :D

Merlin
10th May 2007, 13:09
Oh dear, I shall add Darwin to my prayer list:laugh

scaaty
10th May 2007, 13:25
I was brought up with this kind of rubbish - When I was a kid I was told by my Sunday School teachers that any evidence such as fossils etc which was proven to be older than creation had been 'planted' by god as a test of faith ! :ermmm

Win2Win
10th May 2007, 13:26
Creationists in the US have recently opened up a multi-Billion $ 'Lab', to prove scientifically that creation started 6000 years ago. A little strange as I vistited an ancient indian site yesterday that is 6000 years old, so they obviously started 'painting' the day after earth was created. :) Well done.....and then white man wiped them out :laugh .....isn't that evolution? :doh

42% of US believe in creationism!!!! All Republicans to a boss who 'hears voices', and believes in it himself.....dangerous? We already know he is.

5 members of congress on TV the other night arguing, 2 Darwins, 2 Creationists, 1 50/50.....and these folk are running a nuclear country.....and they want us to worry about Iran!! :yikes:

The Creationist Republicans will NOT win the next election here, the Darwinian Democrats will get in.....BET NOW :)

You only have to visit Nevada Sierra mountains to see creationism is a load of bull.....14,000ft mountains laid down in 6000 years!! :doh ......and why did he hide dinosaur bones next to Soda Lakes, and 'fiddle' the carbon dating?

scaaty
10th May 2007, 13:37
This thread's reminded me - one weekend, not long after my younger daughter started school, I found her and one of her friends dropping pieces of bread down the drain outside the kitchen. I asked what they were doing and they told me they were 'feeding Mr Lord' ..... I was kind of puzzled, and asked them who Mr Lord was and why he was down the drain ! :doh
They told me very solemnly that they didn't know who Mr Lord was, but they thought he must be a very good friend of Mrs Howson's ( their primary 1 teacher) because she was always talking about him, and they knew he was down the drain because Mrs Howson said he was everywhere - they were giving him bread because they thought he might be hungry and Mrs Howson said he lived on bread alone ( think they'd got that bit mixed up !) ..... finally the penny dropped, Mrs Howson had been talking about THE lord, not Mr Lord !!! :laugh :laugh

GlosRFC
10th May 2007, 16:20
I doubt he could even pronounce 'creationist' never mind understand the concept! :D

"The war on pterodactyls involves Saddam Hussein because of the nature of Saddam Hussein, the history of Saddam Hussein, and his willingness to pterodactylize himself."

"This is a world that is much more uncertain than the past. In the past we were certain, we were certain it was us versus the Dinosaurs in the past. We were certain, and therefore we had huge nuclear arsenals aimed at each other to keep the peace. That's what we were certain of. ... You see, even though it's an uncertain world, we're certain of some things. We're certain that even though the 'evil Dinosaur empire' may have passed, evil still remains. We're certain there are Dinosaurs that can't stand what America stands for."

"Everywhere that freedom stirs, let tyrannosaurus fear."

"The tyrannosaurus has fallen, and Iraq is free."

"When I take action, I'm not going to fire a $2 million missile at a $10 empty tent and hit a brontosaurus in the butt. It's going to be decisive."

All quotes only slightly amended :wink

presto
10th May 2007, 20:53
i only got told this recently by my parent's - but at primary school i was banned from RE lessons (1 hour a week) because i totally ridiculed the head mistress and out did her in an argument about this (i was real keen on dinasaurs when i was a kid - before jurrassic park came out). So every friday i had to do quiet reading in the school library or other tasks like measure the raindrops in bottles of pop left outside, once i spent weeks learning egyptian hyroglifics.
:laugh :laugh :laugh thinking back it does seem strange now but i never realised at the time why i was given these 'important jobs' that only i could do.

silax
10th May 2007, 21:34
I don't... if those folk weren't so downright dangerous with their views, that sort of article would be more hilarious than it its. Sadly that sort of creatioist viewpoint is becoming more an more prevalent in the US and it is starting to pick up here as well. Personally I'd shoot the idiots as we could do with a cull of the weaker minded specimens.. that would prove evolution beyond any doubt :wink
i'm not sure big c but i think someone once said that about christianiti:splapme

John
10th May 2007, 22:02
You're an atheist too then Campbell, bruv! :D

bigcumba
10th May 2007, 22:10
You're an atheist too then Campbell, bruv! :D

very much so John... I went to church till I was around 11 and to borrow a phrase 'saw the light' :)

John
10th May 2007, 22:17
I never will understand religion. What really baffles me is people who shape their life around religion. I have no problem with people having faith, having beliefs and following a religion, but to borrow another phrase "you only live once." I think people should live their lives how they want to live them, and if that means abiding by the rules set out by their religion - fine - their choice. I just think some are too engrossed in religion that they miss out on other opportunites in life. Some people e.g. children of religious parents aren't given the choice, and that annoys me.

Merlin
10th May 2007, 22:55
Talking about Dinosaurs...Papa ,is in Brazil this week….

He has already spoken about excommication for child murderers (pro-abortionists)…He is currently in a football stadium, bumping his gums about evangelists, and urging Brazilian youth not to join evangelical cults……I don’t think he can spell ¨cults¨ , he seems to have substituted the ¨n¨ ….

Wot about the catholic cults, Papa? (I cant spell either)…:laugh

MattR
11th May 2007, 00:15
We are told God created the first man and woman—Adam and Eve—on Day Six. Many facts about when their children and their children’s children were born are given in Genesis. These genealogies are recorded throughout the Old Testament, up until the time of Christ. They certainly were not chronologies lasting millions of years

And another thing, what kind of warped DNA would that produce! So we are all the descendants of incest then.

MattR
11th May 2007, 00:17
It always amazes me how these people can question a bone analysis but are quite happy to quote from a book without questioning it's content :splapme

GlosRFC
11th May 2007, 00:40
And another thing, what kind of warped DNA would that produce! So we are all the descendants of incest then.

Ummm, yes! Nothing to do with the Bible, of course...just simple maths. You have two parents, four grandparents, eight great-grandparents, 16 great-great-grandparents and so on. Go back just ten generations and you're the descendant of 1,024 people. Go back four more generations (say to the Elizabethan era) and you have 16,384 ancestors. When you reach twenty generations the number of ancestors is over a million. Another ten generations and your ancestors number more than a billion.

And that's not so long ago. Using the biblical definition of three score and ten years (which is pretty generous), thirty generations is only 2,100 years ago. Another 2,100 years back to the time when the Pharoah's were building pyramids and you're talking 64 generations - or more than one million trillion ancestors. Which unfortunately is thousands of times the number of people who have ever lived. So there must've been a lot of incest involved, at least early on. Statistically (and genetically) it's almost a certainty that you're related to 90% of the people you see around you every day.

That's why your genes are 99.9% the same as mine, as Presto's, Johns, Silax's, BigC's...even Vegy's.

Win2Win
11th May 2007, 03:13
The maths of relatives is correct, but as with horse racing in the real world, not correct as you'll find as early as your great granddad a lot of incest with cousins, etc.

If the garden of Eden is where they say it is, then first man was not white! So we evolved into white....but evolution does not exist so...erm...:doh

John
9th December 2007, 14:28
My Daily Atheist Quote today reads.....

"History does not record anywhere at any time a religion that has any rational basis. Religion is a crutch for people not strong enough to stand up to the unknown without help. But, like dandruff, most people do have a religion and spend time and money on it and seem to derive considerable pleasure from fiddling with it." - Robert A. Heinlein

:D

bigcumba
9th December 2007, 14:38
seem to derive considerable pleasure from fiddling with it.
:D

I always said religion was for winkers....

Win2Win
9th December 2007, 14:55
God once said to me: "I do not exist, why are you talking to yourself?"

TheOldhamWhisper
9th December 2007, 16:02
My Daily Atheist Quote today reads.....

Why can't athiests simply accept the fact that they are in a minority and by definition cannot influence the way religious people embrace their faith?

My quote of the day reads:

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for,
the evidence of things not seen."

piggy
9th December 2007, 16:36
i remembered this thread when i was reading about these u.s. christian loony's demanding a boycott of the film the golden compass [northern lights] and picketing cinemas trying to persaude people not to go in :ermmm it's FICTION you bunch of :censored: i enjoy reading phillip pulmans books and yes there is an anti church undertone through the dark materials trilogy but he's writing about a mythical world where our "souls" are tethered to you in the form of an animal for ::swear sake

Win2Win
9th December 2007, 18:05
Why can't athiests simply accept the fact that they are in a minority

Prove it!

mathare
9th December 2007, 20:02
My quote of the day reads:

"I find your lack of faith disturbing." - Darth Vader :wink

Win2Win
9th December 2007, 20:33
"Faith is not something you believe in, it is just something you have"

John
9th December 2007, 23:05
Why can't athiests simply accept the fact that they are in a minority and by definition cannot influence the way religious people embrace their faith?

Speaking as an atheist (if I'm allowed to :)) I have no intention or desire to influence people who have religious beliefs. People can have faith in whatever they like, believe in whichever God(s) and religions they wish... I don't have a problem with that... what annoys me is those that do have religious faiths and beliefs trying to convert me over.

Minority vote always wins, I thought... :D

Merlin
9th December 2007, 23:17
Well, the best definition of faith for me, is

¨trust¨

Which implies you believe in something or someone in the absence of sufficient reason…

Win2Win
9th December 2007, 23:34
I TRUST Vegy, but have no FAITH in him :D

Merlin
10th December 2007, 13:12
Have You Seen Pigs Fly?

Have you seen pigs fly
astride the estoile night,
across the elysian sky?

Say! And don’t deny,
the truth of swine in flight,
have you seen pigs fly?

Between just you and I,
will they fly tonight
across the rapturous sky?

Shrug it with a chichi sigh
you’ll never behold the sight.
Have you seen pigs fly?

as you walk on-by
and glimpse blackness in the light
across the celestial sky?

A miracle on heavenly high
is fallacious; but a wicked lie,
have you seen pigs fly
across the perjurious sky?

counterfeit
10th December 2007, 18:06
Interesting article and I have to say, very well written but...

talk about mental. I don't believe in a God of any description but I accept people's belief's as every person is entitled to their own opinion. In fact, my mother and my wife are both believers, though follow no particular faith.

It's a pity we haven't got a cuckoo smiley (he says knowing one will appear in no time).

buddhabee
10th December 2007, 20:09
my mother and my wife are both believers

So you are 'Saved' through them, according to the Bible.

Myra Hindley was a believer so she's in Heaven.

piggy
10th December 2007, 20:43
if i was to pick a religion to follow i think i would go for one with reincarnation as i think that's better than a heaven, anyway heaven must be :censored: crowded by now, on a more serious note i would fight for anybody's right to believe in whatever religion they want, at the moment i don't feel the need to believe in an ultimate being but i would love to believe that there is something after death . historically organised religion has been an evil in this world and most religions try to control the lower classes by promising them something better in death wether that be a heaven or reincarnation as something better if you behave. karl marx said "Religion is the opium of the people" give people their weekly dose of religion so they forget how :censored: their lives really are.
more people have died in the name of a religion than anything else, wars , persecution, holocaust the list goes on and on.
and by writing this i'm sure i'm going straight to hell :yikes:

Win2Win
10th December 2007, 21:08
Quantum mechanics show that we have infinite universes. As energy can't be destroyed, it will at some point make us again, and is already doing so in alternate universes.....so no need for a God!!

You may watch your £100 bet lose by a head, but in the other universe, it just won, so be happy :thumbs

bigcumba
10th December 2007, 23:15
if i was to pick a religion to follow i think i would go for one with reincarnation as i think that's better than a heaven,

You sure about that... I mean some poor bugger came back as Vegy!

Win2Win
11th December 2007, 10:00
You sure about that... I mean some poor bugger came back as Vegy!

Dr Shipman's dad? :doh