PDA

View Full Version : Dutching against the favourite

einherjar
22nd May 2007, 14:54
I had an idea about turning the 'lay the favourite' system into something different and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this.

Instead of laying the favourite, back all the other runners, as long as the book % without the favourite is lower than 90%.

The stakes would have to be weighted, and depending on the size of the bank the high priced outsiders would have to have the minimum bet of £2 with the lower priced horses staked to return a smallish profit (between 5-10%).

The reason I ask is that I've been paper trading on laying the favourites and I've noticed that the outsiders often win the races I lay. So I was thinking that as long as the strike rate is good enough this method would return a lot more profit but for a higher risk.

Any thoughts? Is this a silly idea?

Just to clarify I'm not picking the favourites based on a system according to price, but more on looking at the form, trainer and jockeys history along with some other factors.

presto
22nd May 2007, 15:03
if you 'dutch' back every other runner (apart from the fav) - thats exactly the same as laying the fav. however you run the risk of bet's not being match as you are placing several bet's as opposed to 1.