PDA

View Full Version : Ada's Treasure Hunt - In Play

TheGoodGuy
6th June 2007, 21:19
Right.....here we go......

If you want to win a £10 Amazon eVoucher, you'll have to be the first to complete the game.

However, as this is really a trial game, from which I would appreciate some feedback, please try & complete the 5 rounds, regardless of whether you are first to finish.......I'm sure you won't find it very difficult.

PLEASE NOTE
If you are asked for numerical answers.....just enter the number only. Do NOT include currency symbols, distance abbreviations etc.
If you are asked to provide dates, enter in DD/MM/YYYY format.

OK, decipher the following & you're away.....Good Luck.....

Gb ortva, tb gb "Nqn'f Sevqnl Avtug Zvaq Punyyratr" guernq (cntr sbhe bs gur "Cho Gevivn" sbehz).
Fpebyy gb cbfg ahzore sbhe naq frnepu sbe gur uvqqra pbqr arrqrq gb ragre Ebhaq Bar.

markwales
6th June 2007, 21:25
Oh well.... I'm utterly useless at these code deciphering things. So won't even get to round one :laugh

Good luck all :laugh

Iron Chris
6th June 2007, 21:26
Oh well.... I'm utterly useless at these code deciphering things. So won't even get to round one :laugh

Good luck all :laugh

Not just me then...:doh :laugh

markwales
6th June 2007, 21:29
Ohhh I'm on to it :D:D

Fadetoblack
6th June 2007, 21:45
Has anyone started yet?

Fadetoblack
6th June 2007, 21:57
Ok....now we're talking

Iron Chris
6th June 2007, 22:01
Thought I was through to round 3 but it didn't like my code & I closed the sheet down...:splapme :laugh

Iron Chris
6th June 2007, 22:16
I am cooking now!!

markwales
6th June 2007, 22:16
Email sent :yikes:

Fadetoblack
6th June 2007, 22:43
How did you do it so fast MArk?

Iron Chris
6th June 2007, 22:48
Email sent...:)

Fadetoblack
6th June 2007, 22:49
Mail sent :(

Iron Chris
6th June 2007, 23:00
Excellent idea for a game Ada...:thumbs

I was blank for a few minutes but once you get that first answer you are away. I would definately play in something similar again...:)

Fadetoblack
6th June 2007, 23:02
AS would I...very good. Although, the speed that Mark did it in would slightly put me off bothering next time!!!!!

TheGoodGuy
6th June 2007, 23:28
I'll let you know the results in due course, but in the mean time, if any of you (who haven't already) would care to give your opinions of the game, good or bad, with regard to, for example:
deciphering the original coded statement to get going;
using codes based on answers to enter each round;
question difficulty,
general structure & improvements that could be made etc......please feel free to do so.....

Ada. :)

Fadetoblack
6th June 2007, 23:32
Well it's educational for one. Took me AGES to get going though....I was seriously impressed with how Mark managed to do it so fast. Mixing up the original code would be a good idea....i.e have 20 questions and the first letter of each one makes another question..that answer is the password then....

It was all good along the way...another idea would be to give clues about a particular product or place...then we have to find that site on our own...and then we can follow a clue like the second link on the links page...

But seriously..these are only suggestions...that was great fun! Fair play to ya Ada!

vegyjones
7th June 2007, 00:02
PM sent :D

markwales
7th June 2007, 06:22
Off to work in a sec, but will provide feedback this evening.

All in all, a great idea, good fun, and as Fade said, you learn something!

GlosRFC
7th June 2007, 08:28
Hmmm...sorry, I missed the start

scaaty
7th June 2007, 10:16
I missed this too, sorry Ada, I had every intention of being here last night but a friend turned up unexpectedly - he'd come all the way from Thailand so I didn't feel I could spend the evening engrossed in the computer ! He's staying for a few days so I probably won't be around much till after the weekend. I've got as far as cracking the code this morning and I'll carry on with it asap - sounds like it's been a success! :thumbs

bigmazey
7th June 2007, 12:08
Ada,

This is a great idea. I started to do it and thought the code thing at the beginning was a little bit tedious(constructive criticism). This may put some people of at the beginning and they may not start.

For something you have obviously put some work into I think you need to let people of the starting blocks quicker and then make it more difficult as it progresses.

Unfortunately I didn't have time to complete it last night but will return to it at a later date.

As I said great idea and this would be my only suggestion.

scaaty
7th June 2007, 14:33
Just finished and sent pm, not sure how long it took because I did it in bits and pieces, I'd guess around an hour in total. I didn't find the code bit tedious at all but I like that kind of puzzle and I take Mazey's point that perhaps people could be put off if it takes too long at the start. Only one very small quibble - one of the round two answers had a decimal point in second place so I tried using that as the character for the password, which didn't work, I had to use the number after the point, which was really the character in third place not second - or that's how I saw it ! Anyway, great idea, great fun to do and no problems at all with OpenOffice - look forward to more soon ! :)

mathare
7th June 2007, 14:35
I don't even know where to start with deciphering that code

scaaty
7th June 2007, 14:45

I started with the two letter words and went from there !

mathare
7th June 2007, 14:58
When I first looked at it I started with "Nqn'f" and began to work from there but soon got stuck. I initially thought 'f' must be 't' but the two n's then threw me so I gave up. I realise now that 'f' is probably 's' :splapme

Iron Chris
7th June 2007, 16:52

After not having a clue myself, I found a website that did it for me...:yikes: :D

Fadetoblack
7th June 2007, 16:54
Ah....I wonder if Mark was thinking the same!!! Very clever guys!

vegyjones
7th June 2007, 17:25
Fade, where's your "no :censored: cheating" signature!!! :mad:

Fadetoblack
7th June 2007, 17:45
:laugh

I'm sure they're suitable ashamed of themselves Veg

markwales
7th June 2007, 18:11
I didn't find (or look for) a website that cracked the code for me!! I did the same as Scaty, started with the 2 letter words, and looked to try and find the vowels out by looking at recurring letters in the code :doh

Fadetoblack
7th June 2007, 18:18
Well then :clp

Iron Chris
7th June 2007, 20:42
Another idea for the game to give players a chance.

You could start the game one evening and run it for say a week and everyone has until the next evening to email the correct password to get into the next round, thus giving people longer to have a go at it. Each round could maybe get harder or have more questions to start eliminating players until the final evening when it then becomes a race...:)

Ashamed, me....:wink

TheGoodGuy
8th June 2007, 18:28
FYI.

You all know who finished first, but just to confirm......

The winner of the Treasure Hunt is MARKWALES who finished quite a way ahead of the others & provided the correct information asked for in Round 5.

The rest of you who took part also provided the correct answers but not quite so quickly.

So........Markwales,......Later this evening (Friday) I will Email a £10 Amazon eVoucher to the address you used to submit your answers in the game, UNLESS you say otherwise.

Thanks to you all for playing & for your feedback.

Ada. :thumbs

markwales
8th June 2007, 18:37
Many thanks Ada :D

I'll post feedback later.... but all in all I thought it was a great idea, albeit wasn't keen on the opening code cracking, but I envisage any more of these will be a lot more difficult, which is the way it should be in my opinion.