PDA

View Full Version : Big fields

tommy tipster
20th June 2007, 12:04
Lads,could some of you please leave your opinions on field sizes.
When i back horses,i don't really like to back in big fields.
Is this just me?
Is it a good idea,when using a system or coming up with your own,to ignore races of big field sizes?
Any ideas on this would help!

sparkyminer
20th June 2007, 12:12
Big fields = Lucky pin.:)

Win2Win
20th June 2007, 12:34
You'll find that the stats for winners are pretty much the same for 30 runners, as 16.

Jonny2621
20th June 2007, 12:38
Its probably more pertinent to profiling individual jockeys and horses. There are many horses out there that only seem to be able to win with say 2-10 runners and have dreadful records in bigger fields or indeed vice versa. The same is true of certain jockeys who always seem to encounter 'trouble in-running' in larger fields :wink

Win2Win
20th June 2007, 13:26
or D Holland & M Hills.....trouble in runing in ANY field size :laugh

Jonny2621
20th June 2007, 15:22
or D Holland & M Hills.....trouble in runing in ANY field size :laugh

They'd have trouble in afield of one !

barneymather
2nd June 2013, 16:36
I've been having a look on the forum to get an idea of what is classed as a 'big field'. I realise it may not be a case of a race with more than a specific number of runners, but can anyone advise on a general/approximate figure above which would see a race deemed to have a big field? Might seem a daft question I know but I still thought I'd ask. :wink:

Win2Win
2nd June 2013, 18:47
I'd say the cut-off is 16 as that's when bookmakers start paying handicaps to 4 places.

vegyjones
2nd June 2013, 19:33
I'd say anything over 5 acres counts as a big field.

Boom boom. :biggrin:

barneymather
2nd June 2013, 22:26
Cheers for the info, W2W. :thumbs

As for vegyjones, he'd best not wear a red T-shirt should he be passing my field or else Bert the bull will use his jacksie for target practice. Either that or Sammy the sheep might take a charge at vegy and provide him with two achers of his own. :yikes:

vegyjones
2nd June 2013, 22:42
I like to see a community taking pride enough to consider the alliterative effects when naming the local farm animals. :biggrin:

barneymather
2nd June 2013, 23:41
Alliterative effects? What the bleeding hell's that when it's at home?

Anyone allowing allusions about alliteration ain't 'alf
awful.

Godspot
14th June 2013, 04:57
There was an article in the Weekender regards jockeys in big fields think it was 16+ & it showed that some had much better records than others - best I can remember (but I'll try n dig it up) was that Paul Townend in Ireland was best - Noel Fehily & Hobbs' pair Tom O'Brien & Dickie Johnson had a fair record over here - dont know the latest stats though??