PDA

View Full Version : Argentina V Usa (copa America)

Merlin
27th June 2007, 15:11
DATE: 28th June 2007
TIME 20.45 Local Time:
TEAMS: Argentina v USA
VENUE: Estadio José Pachencho Romero, Maracaibo Venezuela.

Argentina

Without a shadow of a doubt , Argentina have , on paper, the strongest team in the tourney – Opposition coaches are at this very moment, planning, preparing and hoping for divine intervention, and if they fail to win this group I will start believing in miracles.

They equal Uruguay (who got battered by the Inca yesterday) with 14 American Cup victories, and it is no surprise to see them favourites for 2007.

Coach, Alfio Basile, is enjoying his second stint as Tango coach. Part 1 was a 3 year period in the early 90s when he led the Argentines to two victories in this competition, notwithstanding motivating them to a magnificent run of 31 games without defeat.

His coaching style is an uncompromising attacking approach, which is confirmed by his team selection. No question, we can expect Argentina to be perpetually penetrating opposition defences, and this maybe their Achilles heel.

Here are the Tango Boys, aka; Albicelestes ("Light blue and whites").

Goalkeepers: Roberto Abbondanzieri (Getafe, España), Juan Pablo Carrizo (River Plate) y Agustín Orión (San Lorenzo).

Defenders: Roberto Ayala (Valencia, España), Javier Zanetti (Inter, Italia), Nicolás Burdisso (Inter, Italia), Hugo Ibarra (Boca Juniors), Daniel Díaz (Boca Juniors), Gabriel Milito (Zaragoza, España), Gabriel Heinze (Manchester United, Inglaterra).

Midfielders: Luis González (FC Oporto, Portugal), Javier Mascherano (Liverpool, Inglaterra), Esteban Cambiasso (Inter, Italia), Fernando Gago (Real Madrid, España), Pablo Aimar (Zaragoza, España), Juan Sebastián Verón (Estudiantes de La Plata) y Juan Román Riquelme (Boca Juniors).

Attackers: Lionel Messi (FC Barcelona, España), Hernán Crespo (Inter, Italia), Diego Milito (Zaragoza, España), Carlos Tevez (West Ham, Inglaterra) y Rodrigo Palacio (Boca Juniors).

USA

To my mind, the Americans are a certain future threat to European and South American international soccer dominance. However, that’s all in the future, and today they will not be playing the Madonna (Nor Maradona) version of ¨ Don’t Cry For Me Argentina¨.

Mind you, they arrive here on the back of a superb win in the Gold Cup, where they defeated Mexico 2-1 in the final.

The Americans have participated in this tournament twice, both times by invitation.

The first time, they didn’t get out of the group. But the second time was very memorable, they topped the group , moreover, in the process slaughtered todays opponents 3-0 , they then went on to knock Mexico out on spot-kicks before bowing out in the semis.

Gee….after writing that last paragraph I am thinking they may have a chance today …..Oops, reality check …..maybe not…and why you may ask.

I shall tell you…

The first thing to bear in mind is that it is very, very rare, notwithstanding will be extremely difficult to boot, for the team to come here and be very serious challengers (although I do think they will get out of the group stage) in this CUP, on the back of their recent winning exploits in the Gold Cup – that was, as it were, mission accomplished.

The second point is there are some important players missing, most notably; Landon Donovan, DaMarcus Beasley,Clint Dempsey, Carlos Bocanegra and Oguchi Onyewu.

And one final point, unfortunately, due to political reasons, the U.S. will experience some hostile receptions in Venezuela. This is due to the host nation's president Hugo Chavez who is a vitriolic and outspoken critic of U.S. president George Bush.

Hope this doesn’t reflect too much on this great sporting occasion – anyway, I am sure the American lads will cope well.

Here are the Stars and Stripes:

Goalkeepers: Brad Guzan (Chivas USA), Kasey Keller (Unattached).

Defenders: Jonathan Bornstein (Chivas USA), Bobby Boswell (D.C. United), Dan Califf (Aalborg BK), Jimmy Conrad (Kansas City Wizards), Jay DeMerit (Watford FC), Drew Moor (FC Dallas), Heath Pearce (FC Nordsjælland), Marvell Wynne (Toronto FC).

Midfielders: Kyle Beckerman (Colorado Rapids), Ricardo Clark (Houston Dynamo), Benny Feilhaber (Hamburger SV), Eddie Gaven (Columbus Crew), Sacha Kljestan (Chivas USA), Justin Mapp (Chicago Fire), Lee Nguyen (PSV Eindhoven), Ben Olsen (D.C.United).

Strikers: Charlie Davies (Hammarby IF), Herculez Gomez (Colorado Rapids), Eddie Johnson (Kansas City Wizards), Taylor Twellman (New England Revolution).

Analysis

The Americans recent form is second to none – winning the Gold Cup and are In fact unbeaten in 9 matches this year.

On the other hand, The Albicelestes have played six games since the World Cup. They lost 3-0 to Brazil (smiling as I type) and 2-1 to the Spanish. They recovered from that by beating France, and have since drawn with Chile and Switzerland notwithstanding beating the Algerians.

But, we cant beat about the bush (sorry George) and for various reasons this is a class issue, and Argentina will surely on the day, reign supreme.

Prediction
Albicelestes, attacking, attacking
The back of the net wont be lacking
Its one-step, two-step, Tango ahoy
Beating the American , goaly boy.

Buenos Aires jumps with glee
As Crespo says that’s 3 for me
No hand of God in this fine match
As goalie fails and fails to catch.

The stars and stripes will fight with pride
Their due frustration hard to hide
Will stand and stare, and look with awe
As argies score again , once more.

Convincing win for blue and whites
Beating easy, stars and stripes
A score to nil will beat the bookie
2 nil, 3 nil, take a looky.

Bet
Take Over 2.50 with Bet 365 @ 1.85
6 POINTS

Take Hernan Crespo to score anytime 2 2.38 with Bet 365
2 POINTS

Merlin
28th June 2007, 22:29
Taking Colombia @ 2.40 for 3 POINTS....THIS IS THE EARLY GAME V PARAGUAY...

Good Luck if you play...