PDA

View Full Version : Venezuela V Peru

Merlin
29th June 2007, 12:16
DATE: 30th June 2007
TIME 18.15 Local Time:
TEAMS: Venezuela v Peru
VENUE: Estadio Polideportivo de Pueblo Nuevo, San Cristóbal Venezuela.

Venezuela

Competition hosts, Venezuela, more synonymous with beauty queens and the magnificent Orinoco than football, drew 2-2 with Bolivia on the opening day of the competition.

This was a good start for them, albeit disappointing that they allowed Bolivia to come from behind twice (oops, better rephrase that), it was disappointing that they allowed Bolivia to get back into the game, after taking the lead not once, but twice.

To quickly recap their opening game - its worth remembering that they went ahead, somewhat against the run of play , when coaches son, Paez made a lovely pass to Maldonado, who hit the net with a well executed angled shot.

Paez, himself slotted home the second. Sandwiched between the former, Bolivia were fortunate to get a deflected own goal, and Arce equalized 6 minutes from time when he turned in a cross at the near-post.

All-in-all, a satisfactory performance from the traditional South American whipping boys, which they will need to build upon if they are to beat the Inca today.

To put things in perspective, Venezuela has never qualified for a World Cup, and has a best placed, 5th in this competition.

La Vinotinto probable line-up (The Red Wine One)

1 Renny Vicente Vega
6 Alejandro Cichero
20 Héctor González
3 José Manuel Rey
17 Jorge Rojas
18 Juan Fernando Arango
5 Miguel Ángel Mea Vitali
11 Ricardo David Páez
8 Luis Vera
15 Fernando de Ornellas
9 Giancarlos Maldonado

Peru

In their opener, I personally didn’t think Peru would beat Uruguay , but they in fact outplayed them for a very, very convincing 3-0 victory. (Although for those of you who read the preview, you would have noted that I tipped the Peruvians as a tournament OUSTIDE BET ). And I am quietly confident that they will win again today.

Let’s recap on their opener.

Victory over the Uruguayans’ can be summed up in a word ¨stunning¨

"The victory was Peru's. It was deservedly won and not due to any mistakes on our part," Uruguayan manager Oscar Tabarez said. "It never crossed our minds that we'd receive a flood of goals by Peru."

To my mind, the above is a key quote, no excuses from Uruguay, no ifs and buts – a straight and honest remark regarding an unexpected but deserved outcome.

Moreover, they had a fourth goal annulled for being offside.

In short, the Peruvians are well organized, have a solid defense, and can quite obviously hit the net.

The Inca probable’s, (subs included):

Leao Butron, John Galliquio, Alberto Rodriguez, Santiago Acasiete, Miguel Villalta, Walter Vilchez ,Juan Carlos Marino, Pedro Garcia, Juan Carlos Bazalar, Jefferson Farfan Juan De la Haza, Paolo Guerrero and Claudio Pizarro (Andres Mendoza,.

Analysis

I really do think the bookies have the favorites the wrong way round here – it is certain that were Venezuela to play Peru outside of their territory they would be second in the betting list.

Let’s look at the head-to-head:
The protagonists have played each other 23 times (all games)

PERU has won 16 games
Venezuela has won 4
They have drawn 3

If you are a stats man you would already be salivating profusely at the 3.10 available on the Peruvians (Betfair).

But, I don’t want to be labeled as one of those dodgy statisticians who present the data to suit themselves. The above overall, does not show that when played in Venezuela, the results are as follows:

Peru won 3 games
Venezuela Won 4 games
They drew 1

The latter probably helped form the betting tissue, and consequently, The Red Wine Ones are favorite. However, to my mind its not an overwhelming piece of data, as the Inca have won 3 games there – so the 3.10 remains a value price.

Incidentally, in the 23 games , total goals scored are 45 for Peru and 24 Venezuela, my low grade maths qualification tells me that’s 69 goals scored, at a mean average of 3 per game…Is this another overs bet?

Prediction

Inca , Inca,
Will play no stinker
Two or three, I do presume
Venezuela will consume.

Home team fans will scream and shout
To try and bring the win about,
Peru will hit them with a show
As eggs are eggs, Orinoco flow.

A consolation goal may come
But at the end it is 2-1
Lets make the bookie pay the price