PDA

View Full Version : UFC 73 - stacked

presto
7th July 2007, 01:15
A great looking card, and as the title suggest's this does look a 'stacked' card, with 2 title fights and the debut of Antonio Rodrigo Noguiera.

Anderson Silva (18-4) vs. Nathan Marquardt (25-6-2)
For the middleweight title. The champ Anderson Silva makes his first title defence after travis luter failed to make weight in silvas last fight ruled it a non title fight.
Many UFC fans may not know much about Nate Marquardt (4-0) in the UFC, however he is on a 6 fight winning run, he has spent most of his carear as a top 'Pancrase' fighter so has proven pedegree. A decent all round game with exceptional submission skills (black belt BJJ), with 14 wins via submission. However he isn't one of the greatest fighters to watch, especially if you have seen his first 2 UFC fights - that is unless dana white hasn't burnt any remaining copies and tried to wipe them out of existance, - they truly were 'borefeasts'.

Silva also has a black belt in BJJ and indeed used his skills to gain a (triangle choke) submission last time out against travis luter, however did show takedown weakness when luter took him to the ground. Something that Marquardt will be trying to do, as he has far the better ground skills. In the standup though Anderson Silva easily has the edge, is there any need to remind anyone of his vicious mu-thai demolision jobs of leburn or former champ franklin? - i don't think so. Silva has also fought a more varied and better set of opponents than Marquardt.

Another important point that i should mention is that before the travis lutter fight Silva underwent knee surgery, most certainly hindering his training for that fight, so we can probably expect to see a better Silva this time out.

As for the fight, a tough call to be honnest, Marquardt could pick up many of the rounds with a domminant ground performance - which he is well capable of, putting a dampener on Silvas skills. I certainly wouldn't want that to be the case however as we would be in for a very long, very boring 5 rounds. I think as long as Anderson Silva can keep on his feet then he can cretainly out strike Marquardt or even get a KO, and with that Silva gets the edge for me.

Sean Sherk (31-2-1) vs. Hermes Franca (18-5)
For the lightweight championship belt, two exciting fighters here in a very exciting 'new' division, in what i am hoping to be an exciting fight.
The title holder Sherk with just 2 losses in his 8 years against Georges St. Pierre and Matt Hughes has nothing to be dissapointed with as both fighters are exceptional tallents. He picked up the fight in a gruling and bloody 5 rounds over Kenny 'razor elbows' florian (probably just me who calls him that). Sherk is a very powerfull werstler and pretty good striker with great cardio.
Franka is also a fighter i like to watch, he has good BJJ and powerfull, if a little wild punches, though a concern to me is his cardio, especially as this is a 5 round fight.

As for how i see the fight going, a little one sided towards the 'muscle shark' Sean Sherk here, as i see the fighting stlyes set up in his favour, the wild punches of Franka arn't a good stratergy against Sherk who has an ultra tight defence and can take you down if you give him the slightest opening. Power wise Sherk also has the advantage, he was a powerhouse at 170lbs so down in the 155lbs division should be a monster, especially considering Franka has been fighting in the lower 145lbs division. Cardio is also an area where Sherk has a huge advantage, as Franka tend's to struggle wheras Sherk can fight all day. So deffinately fancy Sherk to win this fight.

Tito Ortiz (15-5) vs. Rashad Evans (10-0)
Quite possibly fight of the night here, this looks to be a close well matched fight with 2 competitors at opposit ends of there carears, with both fighters having a a lot riding on this fight concerning there rankings in the talent packed 205lbs LHW division, a win for rashat will see him go up in the rankings, confirming him as a realistic title contender, and Tito needs the win to keep himself in the mix at the top, a loss for tito could be disastorous.

There are a lot of similarities between the 2 fighters here, both are big men at the weight, Evans was the heavyweight winner of TUF2, and it is well known that tito cuts quite a bit to make 205lbs. Both fighters also have great wrestling skills and takedown defense, though i give Tito the edge on the ground (with his legendary GnP skills), and Evans the edge in the standup, though Tito is willing to throw punches, Evans has the edge here.

Tito has the more experience by far and has been in the octagon with the top fighters in the UFC LHW division, though he has taken losses here. his recent fights havn't been all that comfortable either, a loss to chuck liddell, a decision (contervercial may i add) against Forrest Griffen and a couple of wins over Ken Shamrock, who let's face it was past it and the only justification for the fights was the chance for zuffa to cash in on the bitter rivalary.
Evans on the other hand hasn't got the experience of Tito nor the names on his record, though he does have the advantage of youth and the fact that he is on a metioric rise in the UFC wheras Tito many agree has peaked and is on his way down.

As for the fight, i am looking forward to it, and beleive it will be all resting on takedowns, if Rashad can keep the fight standing, then he wins the standup, if Tito can get the fight to the ground then Tito gets the GnP. and as both fighters have excelent wrestling skills this fight promises to deliver.
Its a very even fight and indeed a very close call, but i beleive that Rashad Evans will get the victory.

Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (29-4-1) vs. Heath Herring (27-12)
Making his UFC debut Antonio Rodrigo “Minotauro” Nogueira is one of the world’s top heavyweights and an expert in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. Many UFC fans might not know too much about 'big nog' but let me assure you he is elite, and has fought at the very top level in the sport, his 4 losses were no discrase either, split-decission losses to henderson and barnett, he also has wins against said fighters and 2 losses against Fedor Emelianenko, who lets face it, is probably the greatest fighter ever.

Herring hasn't has the best start in the UFC, a boring decision loss to Jake O’Brien at fight night 8, and a decision win against Brad Imes at UFC 69. Herring like 'Nog' is best known for his fights in the 'pride' organisation, also at the top level.

As for how the fight will go, i feel that the UFC wanted 'Nog' to get a winning start in the octagon to be honnest, he has the edge in all areas, in the stand up he has the better strikes, both punches and kicks, and on the ground has probably the best BJJ in the heavyweight division. Most importantly they have already fought twice before, 'Nog' getting both victories. i can't really argue a case for Herring to win this fight, sure it's Nog's UFC debut, first time in the cage etc..... but he has enough experience for that to have no effect on him. 2007 may be the year of the underdog, but i can't see past a Antonio Rodrigo “Minotauro” Nogueira win here.

Kenny Florian (5-3) vs. Alvin Robinson (8-1)
I am not too farmilliar with Alvin Robinson, however a bit of research reveals he ain't that bad, a primaraly submission fighter with all 8 wins via submission, he dosn't mess around either - with 7 of the 8 victories being in the 1st round.
'razor elbows' (kenflo just sounds ******* stupid) Kenny Florian is also well versed in BJJ and also has some pretty good mu-thai, so i will give him the edge in the standup (even though i know little about Robinson).

As for the fight, it looks (on paper) like 'razor elbows' may want to keep the fight standing. Wheras Robinson will most likely want to get the fight to the ground. To be honnest i can see Florian being ok with that as an elbows in the GnP form Florian have been devistating in the past.
I wouldn't like to predict the fight due to lack of knowledge of one of the fighters, but if i had a gun to my head - Kenny Florian would get the nod.

presto
9th July 2007, 00:30
Anderson Silva defeats Nathan Marquardt via technical knockout in round one.
Silva looked very good again in this one.

Kenny Florian defeats Alvin Robinson via submission (strikes)
florian looked good in the GnP.

Tito Ortiz and Rashad Evans fight to a DRAW!
very fortunate for evans this, 1st round was close for tito, 2nd round also close Tito then he had a point deducted hor holding the fence (after a warning), and nearly choked rashad who was saved by the bell, 3rd another close round, tito looked on top but rashad stole it late on with a takedown for a unanimous 28-28 on all cards, not a good fight.

Sean Sherk defeats Hermes Franca via unanimous decision
franka caught sherk with a vicious knee followed up with a choke at the start of the 1st and 2nd, other than that a dominant wrestling display from sherk.

Antonio Rodrigo “Minotauro” Nogueira defeats Heath Herring via unanimous decision
nog looked on top in the first before herring landed a head kick that rocked nog badly (herring stole the round), in the 2nd herring also failed to capitalise on the hurt nog who recovered to win the 2nd and 3rd against a tired herring.

Stephan Bonnar defeats Mike Nickels via submission (rear naked choke) in round one
Jorge Gurgel defeats Diego Saraiva via unanimous decision
Chris Lytle defeats Jason Gilliam via submission (triangle choke) in round one
Frank Edgar defeats Mark Bocek via technical knockout (strikes) in round one

and 8/8 on the predictions for me :)

Win2Win
9th July 2007, 08:45
You seem to enjoy watching semi-naked sweaty men rubbing against each other........maybe we should send you a copy of Playboy to try and bring back the good old days! :)