PDA

View Full Version : Monty's Scottish Picks

monty
5th September 2007, 08:44
Scottish Challenge Cup:
Kick off 19.45 ….Jockanese time….:Kilt:

Clyde v’s Dunfermline Home: 21/10 Draw: 13/5 Away: 10/11

Ross-C v’s St Johnstone Home: 12/5 Draw: 13/5 Away: 4/5

These are the average prices that are going around for the two Scottish games at the moment, as you can see the Away teams are both coming as favourites.
Most of you will already know how I feel about this Challenge Cup, ;fire what did I call it the last time the Mickey Mouse Cup? :laugh
The Challenge Cup is probably the most unpredictable Cup in Scotland, as you are never sure how serious some of the clubs are taking it in the early rounds, but as we’ve had a couple of rounds now? I would imagine the clubs that are left will be taking it on the serious side.
As there is a lack of games on Wednesday night, I would imagine these two games will create a bit of betting interest? So tonight I’ll be betting 1pt singles on both games to end in a Draw; if one match comes in I’ll be in profit.

Good Luck Guys....:thumbs

Merlin
5th September 2007, 11:37
Ooh...a Monty thread:yikes:...nice one ...M....

monty
5th September 2007, 11:51
Thought I had better do one, as I seemed to be using a lot of space up on yours...... :smileybigtmouth:

monty
5th September 2007, 21:47
Full-Time Scores:

Scottish Challenge Cup:

Clyde 1 Dunfermline 4

Ross-C 0 St Johnstone 2

No Cup upsets and No problems for the favourites tonight. Oh! and No profit either...:ermmm

Merlin
5th September 2007, 21:57
Touche....M...

monty
27th September 2007, 11:33
Scottish 3rd Division

2nd Place Stranraer v’s 9th placed Elgin-C

Home: 1/2 (1.50) Draw: 10/3 (4.33) Away: 10/3 (4.33)

I said a few weeks back about the distance some Scottish clubs will have to travel when playing away at Stranraer. Well this Saturday Elgin-City from the far North of Scotland will have to travel 274miles the South West of Scotland. The last 1hr and a half hours is the worst stretch of road, as it twists and winds all round the Scottish Coast. I hate having to go down there and I've only got a 50 mile drive, honestly guys it's horrendous..... :23_111_9[[
by the time you get there you feel ill :(
And they will have to cope with delays in the roadworks that's going on in the Central belt part of Scotland, these delays caused a lot of problems last week, and I would think they will do the same again on Saturday.

To: Stranraer, Dumfries and Galloway

Distance: 274.0 miles (441km).............:yikes:

Time: 5 hr 26 min

I know Elgin-C has had a couple of good wins recently, but there still 2nd bottom of the league? I definitely think the distance this club has to travel on Saturday will have an affect on the players. The clubs in the Scottish lower division are mostly part-time, so a most of these players will be working Monday-Friday before having to travel early Saturday morning.

I definitely think its worth taking a chance on the Home Win this Saturday.

Take: Stranraer @ 1.50

Any thoughts Guys, do you think?

MattR
27th September 2007, 11:54
Sounds good logic to me Monty. Are Stanraer poor away due to the same thinking?

monty
27th September 2007, 11:58
I've noticed some strange results with some of the clubs in Scotland when they have to play away at Stranraer, and Yes it does work both ways when they play at opposite ends of the country. But mainly when clubs go down to Stranraer as the last strech of the road makes you sick.

Merlin
27th September 2007, 12:59
When is this game , M?

vegyjones
27th September 2007, 13:14
I can't fault the logic, or the geography, or the reasoning,

but that was one hell of a whooping Elgin dished out last weekend!

monty
27th September 2007, 13:25
When is this game , M?

Oops.... Sorry mate! I should have said it's on Saturday 3PM

monty
27th September 2007, 13:33
I can't fault the logic, or the geography, or the reasoning,

but that was one hell of a whooping Elgin dished out last weekend!

That's true but they were playing against East Stirling who had their captain and a few other players missing, then had their main defender sent off, all Elgins goals came after the sending off. And Stranraer had a good win also last week winning 4-1 away at Stenhousemuir.

vegyjones
27th September 2007, 13:36
Any reason for East Stirlings upturn in form this season Monty!
You can usually rely on them to prop up the league :)

monty
27th September 2007, 13:46
Any reason for East Stirlings upturn in form this season Monty!
You can usually rely on them to prop up the league :)

Not sure why they managed to play so well at the start but I'm sure they will be back where the belong at the end of the season...:laugh

Skittle
27th September 2007, 13:49
In a word, money. A backer has put a few quid into the club.

Merlin
27th September 2007, 15:06
In a word, money. A backer has put a few quid into the club.

Not sure its so much about money.......Its more than likely the fact that if they finish bottom of the division this year…they will lose their league status, automatically….They will play on as associate members….

There is talk of the club selling their ground and moving to Grangemouth or sharing with Falkirk….

monty
27th September 2007, 17:07
There is talk of the club selling their ground and moving to Grangemouth or sharing with Falkirk….

I've also heard that someone wanted to move them to Grangemouth and they said they would build a new Stadium. I think this would be a good move for the club, remember Meadowbank Thistle? they were going nowhere then they changed their name and moved to Livingston.