PDA

View Full Version : The Saturday Evening Quiz

vegyjones
11th November 2007, 01:35
Welcome to the Saturday evening quiz. Feel free to join in.

Which is the tallest mountain in the world from base to summit?
Why did Christopher Columbus find it difficult to attract sailors on his trip in which he discovered the Americas?
How much of the brain (as a perdentage) do humans use?
Which variety of animal doies the Koala belong to?
How many man-made objects can be seen from space?
Which piece of fruit did Eve eat in the Bible?
What did Thomas Edison invent?

TheOldhamWhisper
11th November 2007, 11:00
Mauna Kea.
Most people thought the Earth was flat.
We use all of our brain - but we have only worked out what a small percentage actually does!
Marsupial.
Depends on your definition of Space but you only have to look at Satellite photos on Google Earth...I haven't really got time to count them at the moment!
Eve ate fruit from 'the tree that is in the middle of the garden' - the bible is not specific on what fruit was involved.
Edison held over 1000 patents including ones for the phonograph and the light bulb.

presto
11th November 2007, 11:23
i think we only use around 10% of our brain (at any one time).

vegyjones
11th November 2007, 16:49
Mauna Kea. Well done Oldham. :) 10 points

We use all of our brain - but we have only worked out what a small percentage actually does! Again... a good answer! 10 points

Marsupial. Yep.. it's not actually a Bear! :D Add 10

Depends on your definition of Space but you only have to look at Satellite photos on Google Earth...I haven't really got time to count them at the moment! You're too good for me. A common misconception is that the Great Wall of China is one of a few man made objects visible from space... however there are many depending on which definition of how far "up" space is. By most definistions, you can actually see dams, fields, and many more objects! 10 points

Eve ate fruit from 'the tree that is in the middle of the garden' - the bible is not specific on what fruit was involved. Excellent Oldham. Indeed, most p[eople think this is an apple, but the bible never actually states which fruit, although an appple was often referred to as the fruit from the tree in the middle ages! 10 points

Edison held over 1000 patents including ones for the phonograph and the light bulb. I'm gonna have to give you that one also I feel. Yes, Edison had patents for these items, although his most famous patent for the lightbulb was actually invented by someone else but he adapted it into what we now know! 10 points

Most people thought the Earth was flat. Aha.. it's minus 15 for that one :D A common misconception here. At the time of Columbus it was actually known that the world was spherical. The contention arose from feelings that he had miscalculated the distance to India. And indeed they were correct. And if not for finding the Americas, Columbus and his crew would almost certainly have perished before they reached India. :D

vegyjones
11th November 2007, 16:52
i think we only use around 10% of our brain (at any one time). And -15 for Presto... Again, this is a common infcatual thought. Oldham was correct in that although most of the brain functions, we are still not sure of which functions most of the brain is actually doing!

But thanks for playing guys! :D

presto
11th November 2007, 17:16
do you watch QI by any chance vegy?

vegyjones
11th November 2007, 18:27
what's that? :doh

John
11th November 2007, 18:32
Queer Intellectuals

John
14th November 2007, 01:35