PDA

View Full Version : broadband

Street cry
28th November 2007, 00:24
I move hous eon saturday and need broadband where i am moving to , i use to live there and had broadband. The company i have broadband with here say it will take 20 workingvdays to exchange it, is there anyone who does broadband quicker than anyone else i am gonna be u the creek if i can't get sorted cheers sc

samantha1303
28th November 2007, 00:31
What about if you tell them that isn't good enough and you will use another company ? It may speed the process up.

Street cry
28th November 2007, 00:36
no the bes they can do is 10 days if i change the phone number

samantha1303
28th November 2007, 00:39
Could you not use a library or internet cafe for the 10 days?
It's better than 20.

Street cry
28th November 2007, 00:46
well the problem is programmes sam i have bet ie , bet angel and rsb on my laptops and without those programmes there is no point me being on line if i could use my laptop somewhere i would be ok but don't think that's viable

samantha1303
28th November 2007, 00:47
Wireless?? I'm not that technical but I'm sure Glos could advise.
Failing that take 10 days paid leave from win2win.:wink

Street cry
28th November 2007, 00:49
i was thinking that sam but when i last tried to use this on wireless in hotel it didn't work

GlosRFC
28th November 2007, 00:49
Why on earth is Vegy reading this thread?

Oh, I'm with Samantha on this one...tell them it's not good enough. If they can change the phone, they can supply you with broadband just as quickly. Otherwise remind them that there are a host of alternative broadband AND telephone providers that can do it quicker and are more than happy to take your standing charge to do so.

Street cry
28th November 2007, 00:53
i am not bothered if its expensive glos i just want it quick and they are not bothered if i go elsewhere they say ten days is the best they can do

samantha1303
28th November 2007, 00:55
Mine keeps telling me there are wireless networks detected or something, so I'm sure if I knew what I was doing I could access the internet from next door or wherever.
I think in public places there needs to be a sign saying wireless, but be carefull, I watched that show which shows you all the scams people get upto, 2 men and a girl, ( can't remember the name ) and someone goes into the place wireless is offered and connects his laptop, you go in and think you are using the cafe's wireless connection, but all your banking details are going straight to this rogue guys comp.Sorry vague I know but thats it in non technical terms.

samantha1303
28th November 2007, 00:57
Who are you with by the way, and why don't you want to change?
I'm with virgin they came within 3 days, but I guess it depends how busy they are and when there is an engineer in your area.

Street cry
28th November 2007, 01:00
yep saw it sam "the real hustle" i think its called i may go in to york everyday and see what happens ha ha

GlosRFC
If they're saying they're not bothered, then they don't deserve to have your money. I'd tell them that and then call some of the alternative suppliers to see how quickly they can install if for you.

Street cry
i am with toucan i dont care who i go with as long as its quick

samantha1303
28th November 2007, 01:04
Virgin are good, infact I would say excellent, if you are wanting phone and tv as well it's peanuts.
£30 for all 3 when I got it, that the xl tv package , line rental, and broadband.
Can you get virgin where you are?

samantha1303
28th November 2007, 01:07
Take a look here -
http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/bundles/index.html

Street cry
28th November 2007, 01:09
yes i can get virgin i will ring round tomorrow and see who's quickest need to ring bt though and see how long it will take them to switch number to other house

scoobydoo
28th November 2007, 01:12
My step-dad rang Monday for Virgin media...4 for £40 or something and they are coming week Wednesday which is pretty good really eh. I have virgin cable and I have found it much better than adsl. See if they have cable where your moving sc? <Oh you do!>

Street cry
28th November 2007, 01:16
i dont have cable but i can get broadband which is all i am bothered about but it has to be quick

samantha1303
28th November 2007, 01:17
I'm more than happy with virgin.
A couple of times a week I use the internet through bt, and I'm dragging my hair out, it is so rubbish compared to virgin.

scoobydoo
28th November 2007, 01:18
Oh right...of course since Virgin bought NTL you can sometimes have either their adsl or cable.

GlosRFC
28th November 2007, 01:19
I'd be more than happy with a virgin too....

....but they're rather thin on the ground around here!!

samantha1303
28th November 2007, 01:20
i dont have cable but i can get broadband which is all i am bothered about but it has to be quick

If you get a bundle with them it is cheaper, plus you get the xl package on the tv again if you sign before 30th Nov .
Football, horse racing, music channels etc.

scoobydoo
28th November 2007, 01:21
I'm more than happy with virgin.
A couple of times a week I use the internet through bt, and I'm dragging my hair out, it is so rubbish compared to virgin.

I got BT last year and it was a nightmare...but that was to do with my phone line I was told. In the end they paid me compensation and I got out of my contract. At first they said I would get about 6Mb but I was getting about 200kb if I was lucky! Been great with NTL or Virgin as it is now. Are you cable Sam or adsl?

samantha1303
28th November 2007, 01:24
I'm cable.
I have the phone, tv and broadband..
I was with ntl, on broadband and phone, then it changed to virgin and I got the tv as well.

scoobydoo
28th November 2007, 01:25
Mine keeps telling me there are wireless networks detected or something, so I'm sure if I knew what I was doing I could access the internet from next door or wherever.

If they have no security on their network you should be able to connect yes...cheap Internet!:D I bet its pretty high percentage those that dont have any?

samantha1303
28th November 2007, 01:27
I don't think I do?
I don't know?
Perhaps next door are connecting through me?

scoobydoo
28th November 2007, 01:30
You have wireless network? Didnt you set up the security when you first connected router?

samantha1303
28th November 2007, 01:33
Not that I know of, I've never used wireless.
At the moment it says wireless network connection not connected.
It then gives 2 options,
MSHOME, and BT Homehub- 6cff

samantha1303
28th November 2007, 01:34
Another one just popped up - gillgameswireless

scoobydoo
28th November 2007, 01:38
Its either next door or can be further than that....you could if you wanted to...try and connect to them ...just to see if they work obviously :) although until you try and connect you wont know if they have any encryption on their networks. I had the BT Hub!! :splapme

Street cry
28th November 2007, 01:39
does anyone know how i would connect to wi fi in a hotspot area do i need additional hardware ????

scoobydoo
28th November 2007, 01:47
I dont believe you need anything else apart from your wireless laptop. Check this out..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotspot_(Wi-Fi)

presto
28th November 2007, 01:53
i changed from 'zen' to 'O2' broadband a couple of weeks back, and O2 did all the work - the contacted zen who said that they would terminate the contract at 12:00 and got an e-mail from O2 who said that they would start the contract then, by 12:30 everything was up and running. - the speed also increased from 2.0mb to 3.3mb (upto 8mb - but i live 3 miles from the exchange). so 3.3mb was a good speed for me.

samantha1303
28th November 2007, 01:53
Its either next door or can be further than that....you could if you wanted to...try and connect to them ...just to see if they work obviously :) although until you try and connect you wont know if they have any encryption on their networks. I had the BT Hub!! :splapme

I daren't, they might then get into mine and steal all my millions :wink

scoobydoo
28th November 2007, 02:00
I daren't, they might then get into mine and steal all my millions :wink

If they have no security on their network...I would doubt it! :D

samantha1303
28th November 2007, 02:04
It could be a ploy, they are czech guys next door, about ten of them living there :geek

scoobydoo
28th November 2007, 02:05
i changed from 'zen' to 'O2' broadband a couple of weeks back, and O2 did all the work - the contacted zen who said that they would terminate the contract at 12:00 and got an e-mail from O2 who said that they would start the contract then, by 12:30 everything was up and running. - the speed also increased from 2.0mb to 3.3mb (upto 8mb - but i live 3 miles from the exchange). so 3.3mb was a good speed for me.

I think I must have been about 500 miles from the exchange....it was soooo bad at times! The thing with adsl is if you have a dodgy phone line which BT tell me I do....you just cant get a decent service. Although they do tend to bend the truth on what youll actually get when first signing up....well BT did anyway! :ermmm They even downgraded it where you can check with your postcode after I had complained...

samantha1303
28th November 2007, 02:06
I think I must have been about 500 miles from the exchange....it was soooo bad at times! The thing with adsl is if you have a dodgy phone line which BT tell me I do....you just cant get a decent service. Although they do tend to bend the truth on what youll actually get when first signing up....well BT did anyway! :ermmm They even downgraded it where you can check with your postcode after I had complained...

Aren't all bt phonelines dodgy ?:laugh
Your reply will cost you £1.50 from a bt phoneline, other networks may vary

scoobydoo
28th November 2007, 02:12
Yes that is true! Even Virgin have put their technical broandband help-line up since Branson bought them....robbing :censored:! :)

Mavrick
28th November 2007, 03:32
If you get super desperate you can always get a 3G wireless datacard connection through Vodafone. It only takes 24 hours, but the speed is slow compared to broadband. Something like 300 Kbs and it's about £30 a month and you'll probably have to sign a year contract. Probably a good excuse to have a break for 10 days.

I think they give you a free datacard now with a new contract, if not you can have mine for nothing as I'm not going to use it again, but it would probably take 2-3 days to get to you.

Get a bottle of vodka, a few beers and spend a few days infront of ATR and RUK shouting abuse at the TV. You'll come back refreshed.

Win2Win
28th November 2007, 09:39
You can get free wifi in most McDonalds, if you don't mind drinking coffee all day :)

Failing that http://www.myhotspots.co.uk/

If you tell BT you are self employed and need business broadband, they can 'usually' do it in a week.

Street cry
28th November 2007, 10:29
you have just given me my dream keith sitting in mcdonalds all day .
My mum never use to let us go as she said it was bad for us and unfair because the support ira and something else to do with beef killing the rainforests dont really remember.
I will do that but what about my battery it dont last too long ?????????

Win2Win
28th November 2007, 11:05
They have sockets in the wall for the vacuum cleaner :wink

Street cry
28th November 2007, 11:18
good call boss