PDA

View Full Version : Hatton vs Mayweather

orientalexpress
5th December 2007, 00:31
Aint nothing gonna make me miss this fight !

vegyjones
5th December 2007, 00:53
£15 is gonna make me miss it :D

I'll be lstening on 5 live though!

orientalexpress
5th December 2007, 02:07
£15 is gonna make me miss it :D

I'll be lstening on 5 live though!

u can watch it free ;)

presto
5th December 2007, 02:48
i bet you will both be asleep by the time it comes on :rolleyes:

orientalexpress
5th December 2007, 02:57
No way, we got amir khan, jeff lacy, too many fights to be sleeping :D One thing i wont be looking forward to is going to work at 12pm

mathare
6th December 2007, 11:51
Anyone know when the Hatton fight is on regular Sky Sports?

orientalexpress
6th December 2007, 13:45
about 4am

presto
6th December 2007, 14:21
Anyone know when the Hatton fight is on regular Sky Sports?

only on PPV i think - though they may show it a week or so later on normal sky sports (though they don't really advertise)

sportingprofit
6th December 2007, 14:47
Will probably be on you tube by Monday.

orientalexpress
6th December 2007, 16:28
you can watch it free via streaming services ;)

mathare
6th December 2007, 16:43
you can watch it free via streaming services ;)Not while I am asleep I can't

I'd like to watch it sometime on Sunday if I could though, and not at 4 in the morning!

vegyjones
6th December 2007, 16:50
Not while I am asleep I can't :laugh

I'd like to watch it sometime on Sunday if I could though, and not at 4 in the morning!

Try phoning Vegas and get them to put it back a few hours. You must have made a few contacts out there by now :D

mathare
6th December 2007, 16:54
Try phoning Vegas and get them to put it back a few hours. You must have made a few contacts out there by now :DActually I did get quite friendly with Jeff, a craps pit boss at the MGM Grand. I'll see what he can do for me

Win2Win
6th December 2007, 17:34
Friendly you say ::hump

MattR
6th December 2007, 19:03
I wouldn't advise getting friendly with anyone in a crap pit. :D

vegyjones
6th December 2007, 20:42
I wouldn't advise getting friendly with anyone in a crap pit. :D

I thought we were all mates with Sparky :D

sparkyminer
7th December 2007, 19:28
Aint nothing gonna make me miss this fight !

That's a double negative.:)

Win2Win
7th December 2007, 20:26
I keep thinking his name is Maryweather!!! Seems a bit of a tart :D

orientalexpress
7th December 2007, 20:48
That's a double negative.:)

i use to be good at maths :ooo

Merlin
8th December 2007, 05:21
I wrote a little preview for this yesterday and lost the furkin thing - This preview is not the same as the original - just thoughts more than anything...

HATTAN

I saw Hattan box many times as an amatuer, and as he was moving towards adulthood, I like many others thought , this boy is going places - I think it's fair to say , the boy has arrived - and if he manages to beat Mayflower, I think he would be a candidate for the best British Welterweight ever.

This would be no mean achievement , to rank amongst some very good boxers such as , Ted "Kid" Lewis, John Stracey , Lloyd Honeyghan and some others who were very good , but didn't quite win a world title, like, Cliff Curvis and Colin Jones.

Can Hattan do it? Well - this is the six million dollar question - and we will soon find out - personally I think he has a good chance - my main reservation is that as an athlete he is not a natural 10 stoner - and although he has a good dig on him, moving up to an unatural weight will negate some of the power in his hammer - or to put it another way, it will lose some of it's effectiveness. Not least because Mayflower is in very , very good shape.

MAYFLOWER

This guy was at the front of the queue when arrogance was dished out, and let's be honest he wears it well - it wasnt' that long ago when his last fight was gonna be to tan the **** of Oscar The Boxer, which he duly done - did he retire? Did he furk - He couldn't resist having another pop - and like so many before him , he may live to regret it.

THE VERDICT

This is the hard bit - on the one hand we have the Stockport lad, who is as hard as furkin nails, determined and hungry for this title - and on the other hand we have an extremely fit athlete , proven champion and a guy who won't give up easily...

Mayflower is quite rightly favourite , but favourites do get beat - and have been beaten by British boxers in the past. One example is Lloyd Honeyghan beating Don Curry, and Colin Jones drawing (first fight) with Milton McCrory. And in my opinion this fight has similarites to both of the aforementioned - in fact I would say that Hatton is a mixed-cross of Honeyghan and Jones - he is not as quick as Honeyghan , but quicker than Jones - and Jones had one hell of a dig too...

Hatton himself will be drawing parallels with the past - and would have figured out the best way to approach this - and he will know , that he has to do 2 things, the first is to hurt Mayflower as early as possible, then hurt him again in readiness for the stoppage or knockout - coz he knows, I know, and you know, Hattan aint gonna win this on points - in fact,if they are both still around, the latter couple of rounds will be very dangerous for Hattan - Partly because Mayflowers's super fitness will come into big play.

Let's summarize then: Its a portfolio fun play of bets for me - but I do think Hatton can win - but to do this he is gonna have to hurt, hurt, hurt Mayflower early - and knock him down - or at least achieve a standing count.

I do have some fears for Hatton, I have already mentioned one of them, the other is that he will try and get in close to Mayflower, and runs the risk of a disqualification if he over does it - particularly if he starts to use his head to balance and push - which he is sometimes prone to do...

MY BETS

Hatton by KO, TKO or Disqualification @ 5.50 = 5 Points
DRAW @ 23.00 = 1/2 Point
Corner throws the towel in @ 51.00 (both boxers)1/2 Point each
Hatton Disqualification @ 34.00 = 1/2 Point
fight to end in Rounds 5 through 8 @ 5.50 = 3 Points

10 POINT BET - GOOD LUCK HATTON...

Win2Win
8th December 2007, 10:16
I just want to see him punch that Yankee smile :)

Hope Hattan wins though, as I can wind the boring Yanks up when I'm there next month...

TheOldhamWhisper
8th December 2007, 10:53
What they fighting about? I bet it's over a woman. She's not worth it lads - have another beer...

:D

mathare
8th December 2007, 10:57
What they fighting about? I bet it's over a woman. She's not worth it lads - have another beer...

:DNah, it's over money. But it's more than that - the loser has to use their money to follow Vegy's tips :laugh

piggy
8th December 2007, 17:07
iv'e had my £1 pocket money on hatton to win in 3rd round @50-1 :D

presto
8th December 2007, 19:35
I have so been looking forward to this fight for a long time, and with the hype machine running all week with numerous previews the excitement is growing. This fight promises to be a fight that will go down in history. Its not often you get a fight with 2 undefeated fighters with a combined record of 81-0-0, with the top ranked lb 4 lb fighter in Mayweather and 4th ranked lb 4 lber Ricky Hatton (according to boxrec). This fight will either confirm thet title for Mayweather or put Hatton at the top of the pecking order.

Not only will this fight be memorable in terms of each fighters legacy but it's also a total clash in styles and personality to add to the excitement.
Mayweather is one of the most flashy, arrogant person you will ever come across - though to be fair to him he has quite a lot to brag about. His fighting style is also very flashy, infact he almost dances in the ring (much better than with the stars), controling his opponent like a snake charmer does with a cobra, with smooth moves and a bobbing head. His defence is not so much being able to take a punch, but having the ability of just not being hit (the nickname 'pretty-boy' apparently came from his fellow boxers in the gym as a comment on the fact that he never took any damage). He does however have weeknesses though, as he has problems with his 'brittle' hands and has also recently had problems with his shoulder. His punches arn't the most powerfull either.

Hatton on the other hand is a down to earth guy and very likable, theres not many world class fighters who spend there 'downtime' between fights in the local pub drinking pints and eating pies as one of the lads. He has an estimated 25,000 fans from the UK that are crossing the pond to see this fight which is unheard of in boxing and just shows his fans dedication, especially as only around 10,000 tickets will be made available to Hatton fans. If this fight was held in Manchester there would be no doupt that the 'city of manchester' stadium would be a near sell out of 60,000+ Hatton fans with a handfull of Mayweather fans, though Las Vegas, Mayweathers home of residence is already awash with sky blue. Unlike Maywether fancy cars and 'bling' arn't hattons style. His fighting style is very direct, always comming forward, always throwing punches. He has great cardio and offensive weapons, though like his opponent - he does have his weeknesses. He has a habbit of cutting easy.

Other factors:
reach - Mayweather has a significant reach advantage, this could be very important in the way that he fights - keeping Hatton at a distance.
weight - Hatton (despite severe cutting for the fight) is moving up in weight to Mayweathers natural fighting weight. He came in 2lbs under the limit and looks in great fighting shape, though this may diminish his power as he is moving up from his ideal weight.
the ring - Mayweather has insisted in using a bigger size of ring, this will give him extra room for manuvure.

The fight:
As both fighters have very different styles the gameplan is simple for both fighters.
Mayweather - will aim to keep Hatton at range picking off pot shots on the outside and when hatton moves in, moving out of trouble when Hatton gets close.
Hatton - will be looking to get in close to Mayweather and working from the inside, he will look for non stop pressure going to the body with his devistating punches looking to hurt Mayweather early to slow him down.
So the big question as to who will win the fight is who will execute the gameplan better. I doupt Mayweather can stop hatton so he needs to keep him at range, something he is very good at. And hatton needs to get inside or otherwise Mayweather will simply out point him, that will be the deciding factor. Mayweather simply hasn't faced anyone who will pressure him as much as Hatton can. It will be intreguing to see just who wins the battle.

Betting: (odd's from betfair)
Mayweather - 1.63
Hatton - 2.86
Draw - 26

When i first saw the odd's i was amased at how much of an underdog Hatton was, (i origionally grabbed a chunk @ 3.05) but the price has recently shortened with the wave of money for Hatton. Even so 2.86 still looks very good value. I can see why Mayweather is the favourite however the odd's look way too short to even consider. The draw is something that i never really consider when betting on boxing. I suppose adding a small 'saver' on the draw could be a sensible idea, or even a lay of Mayweather.

method of victory:
Mayweather by KO, TKO or DQ - 5.2
Mayweather by Decison/Tech Dec - 2.36

Hatton by KO, TKO or DQ - 4.8
Hatton by Decison/Tech Dec - 6.6

If anybody is betting on Mayweather then a sugguestion would be to bet on 'Mayweather by Decison/Tech Dec - 2.36' i highly doupt that Mayweather can stop Hatton.

VERDICT - hatton @ 2.86

piggy
8th December 2007, 20:28
nice runthrough presto must agree with a lot of what you said my only critism of mayweather would be that he can be a slow starter and with hatton storming out of the blocks he might be able to him early hence my 3rd round bet, i think the longer the fight goes the less hattons chances as mayweather will outpoint him.

samantha1303
8th December 2007, 20:31
I'm sick of hearing Hatton big himself up .
He's a fighter, the other lad is a boxer so Hatton's gonna lose.

scoobydoo
8th December 2007, 21:15
Lennox Lewis says he has to do him in the first 4 rounds or he wont win. The thing is...no one knows really what is going to happen...boxing is so unpredicatable....Hatton could put him on his **** but just as likely Mayweather will box his head off! Is it worth £15 then do you think?????:)

Win2Win
8th December 2007, 21:23
That is the most Presto has ever wrote in a post since he joined in 1906. I'll be so upset now if the guy doesn't win.... :ermmm

Merlin
8th December 2007, 21:50
Here is a FREE link to 4 HBO countdown videos of the Mayweather v Hatton build up...

http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshh9HLm479ETZb3HISP

orientalexpress
9th December 2007, 06:59
its a sad day :(

Win2Win
9th December 2007, 10:36
The stick insect is beaten to the ground by the big black man with muscle. It looked a bit like Oprah in the ring with Paula Radcliffe!!!!

davidsteel
9th December 2007, 14:55
I'm sick of hearing Hatton big himself up .
He's a fighter, the other lad is a boxer so Hatton's gonna lose.

Unfortuately, you got it spot on Sam.

paul183195
9th December 2007, 17:27
black man with muscle.

did you now that "black men"are more naturally more muscular( i have read by 30% ) than white people. thank god i"m green in colour & only appear on the Simpson's :D

TheOldhamWhisper
9th December 2007, 17:55
...i"m green in colour...

a pigment of your own imagination? :D

Fadetoblack
9th December 2007, 18:00
The English fans behaved disgracefully last night. They really don't like other country's national anthems.

Win2Win
9th December 2007, 18:02
The English fans behaved disgracefully last night. They really don't like other country's national anthems.

Not surprise...RULE BRITANNIA :D

We are the leaders of the COMMENWEALTH :rolleyes:

MattR
9th December 2007, 20:45
a pigment of your own imagination? :D

:laugh

mathare
9th December 2007, 20:57
The English fans behaved disgracefully last night. They really don't like other country's national anthems.I didn't see it but can you be sure they were English fans rather than just Hatton fans?

Fadetoblack
9th December 2007, 21:04
Just like they were England fans at the Croatia match, not English people? Fair enough, Hatton fans, if that's what you'd prefer.

Ian Darke himself was disgusted. There really is no need for it.

mathare
9th December 2007, 21:16
Just like they were England fans at the Croatia match, not English people? Fair enough, Hatton fans, if that's what you'd prefer.I'll give you the Croatia match but my point was more that for the Hatton fight it could have been British fans rather than English fans. Yes, the lad is English but I think a lot of Britain was supporting him. At the Croatia game the fans were England fans so you have to assume they were English. But for the Hatton fight I'm not sure it is fair to single out the English from the Scots and Welsh without evidence that the Celts were well behaved and it was the English letting the Brits down.

Merlin
10th December 2007, 00:45
Here's 10 minutes of the Hattan fight on you tube...watch it quickly....it probably won't be there for long...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1pnrEXwb2Q

Fadetoblack
10th December 2007, 03:34
I'll give you the Croatia match but my point was more that for the Hatton fight it could have been British fans rather than English fans. Yes, the lad is English but I think a lot of Britain was supporting him. At the Croatia game the fans were England fans so you have to assume they were English. But for the Hatton fight I'm not sure it is fair to single out the English from the Scots and Welsh without evidence that the Celts were well behaved and it was the English letting the Brits down.

Aye, I agree with ya. We can say English, but we know we're only referring to a minority.

scoobydoo
10th December 2007, 03:45
Nice one Merl...:thumbs

mathare
10th December 2007, 10:17
Aye, I agree with ya. We can say English, but we know we're only referring to a minority.I still ain't seen it but I will agree with you that there is a lot of disrespect towards the national anthems that aren't our own. I think this started in football and that sort of football mentality is recently spreading into other sports. Would a Bruno weigh-in been punctutated with chants of "Who are ya?" and so on?

vegyjones
10th December 2007, 11:54
Would a Bruno weigh-in been punctutated with chants of "Who are ya?"

Brooks? Possibly

presto
14th December 2007, 21:57
on sky sports 1 tonight 10:30

scoobydoo
14th December 2007, 23:34
on sky sports 1 tonight 10:30

Thanks presto..Or for those of you without Sky...on BBC2 at 1pm on Sunday.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/7142888.stm

Or if youre like me at 1 on Sunday...instead of watching Liverpool V Utd youll have Xmas visitors round....I cant believe I am going to miss 2 biggest games of the year! :headbange :party Nightmare...