PDA

View Full Version : Benazir Bhutto Assassinated

Win2Win
27th December 2007, 18:00
Well she was warned. Makes the fact the bossman called military rule look the correct call....but the rest of the world turned against him for it :splapme

What do they say about political comebacks??? :doh

TheOldhamWhisper
27th December 2007, 19:13
Well she was warned. Makes the fact the bossman called military rule look the correct call....but the rest of the world turned against him for it

A little simplistic to say the least.

Benazir Bhutto was outspoken in her oppostion to Islam terrorist factions and was considered to be an ally of the West. Her assassination marks the end of any hope of democracy in Pakistan and many other Middle Eastern countries.

Luckily, Pakistan's nuclear capability is firmly under the control of the military...

Oh, hang on. Doesn't General Musharaff control the Military?? :yikes:

Win2Win
27th December 2007, 20:06
I have to keep it simple in case Vegy reads it :)

How come if someone threatens to kill me, and then blows my brains out, it's murder.......yet if your a politician, it's an assassination? Posh buggers :wink

GlosRFC
27th December 2007, 23:10
The clue's in the word...politicians are the biggest asses in the nation

Win2Win
27th December 2007, 23:29
The clue's in the word...politicians are the biggest asses in the nation

:D :thumbs

tophatter
27th December 2007, 23:43
We need a stable Pakistan - what a terrible day.

scoobydoo
28th December 2007, 01:22
Agree with you th that is been a bad day but we should have seen this coming after October when she went back.:ermmm She was either very brave or very silly...and as has been said today...I dont think she realised how much the coutry has changed from when she was last there. Poor woman anyway...

Bill
28th December 2007, 13:06
It was on the cards this would happen. Does anyone agree with me that terrorism in Pakistan has increased greatly since their President Musharraf got into bed with Bush and Blair. The so called "war on terror" seems to be a massive disaster.

Win2Win
28th December 2007, 17:05
Terrorism was bad anyway, as between them & Afghanistan were the training camps, etc. All they've done is put more focus on Pakistan, but they have been killing each other in the border areas for decades.

The 'war on terror' has disrupted Al Queda, but it is all over shadowed by the cock-up in Iraq, and it has strengthened the ideology around the world, hence bombings in Spain, UK, etc

Win2Win
28th December 2007, 18:47
Seems like she wasn't shot after all :doh

Smashed her head on the roof lock, when the bomb went off, and fractured her skull :splapme

presto
28th December 2007, 21:02
It was on the cards this would happen. Does anyone agree with me that terrorism in Pakistan has increased greatly since their President Musharraf got into bed with Bush and Blair. The so called "war on terror" seems to be a massive disaster.

i have to dissagree with this to some extent, lets face it Pakistan is an islamic state, and there has been a massive rise in islamic extremeism especially in recent years, so with a country as big as pakistan it's suprising that there hasn't been more cases.

also the border area with afganistan has always been lawless and uncontrolled, even since alexander the great.

i was watching 'fox news' the other night and they were saying that they expected much more from the $10 billion milatary aid since 11/9 - lets face it £5bill isn't anyware near enough cash to sort out a problem that big.

Musharraf has been a huge help to the western world with his role in pakistan. something that the propaganda machine has often failed to mention as soon as a possible new leader who is even more in the pocket of the yanks comes along. If a more pro islamic less western friendly leadership contender came along then i am sure the media would be singing the praise of musharraf.

Win2Win
29th December 2007, 10:04
One word that hasn't popped up with Musharraf is 'corruption'. Remeber, Bhutto was corrupt herself, and even some of her old hard line supporters didn't want to see her come back.

As for along the Afghan border, Mushy pulled his troops out about a year ago, and left it to the tribal elders to control. Some of the media said he'd lost the plot, but I would imagine it was done so that when the Yanks crossed the border, Pakistani troops would not be in a situation that ended up in a shooting match with the trigger happy Yanks (Shooting a near extinct tiger :ermmm).

scoobydoo
29th December 2007, 12:17
Does anyone know if it was ever proved that Bhutto was corrupt...that she was putting govt money into her own accounts? If it was...why did she get a good reception going back?:doh

Win2Win
29th December 2007, 12:30
When are politicians ever proven corrupt? They make up rules/laws as they go. Look at the $Billions that have vanished in the European political arena.

TheOldhamWhisper
29th December 2007, 12:33
The accusations of corruption were mainly aimed at her Husband (and other members of her family) and most were 'reported' by people running the opposition party (in the days where democracy was still a viable option).

As with many other cases of alleged corruption, it is a matter of who reports the news and how it is interpreted by the outsider. No doubt there are people in the world who see the 'cash for honours' scandal as nothing more than common corruption which undermines the very heart of democracy.

Of course, we British make sure everything is all above board in making sure that 'donations' to the various parties are declared and accounted for but it still doesn't stop the allegations flying - and if you throw enough of it, some of it will eventually stick.