PDA

View Full Version : UFC 79 - nemesis

presto
29th December 2007, 21:42
The final event of an eventfull 2007 sees a pretty decent card and a long overdue mega-fight in the 205lbs division between chuck and wandy, not to mention another promising clash between hughes and gsp i the 170lbs division.

MAIN CARD

George St Pierre (-240) vs. Matt Hughes (+190)
This fight was origionally going to be between Matt Hughes and Matt Serra for the welterweight title, a grudge match between former champ Hughes and new champ Serra, which has had a massive buildup with both fighters being opposition coaches in TUF 5 reality sereis.
Serra however pulled out with an injury in the buildup, but the dissapointment was short lived as GSP stepped up and asked to take his place in the octagon against hughes in what many beleive to be a better matchup than the origional.
This fight will be the rubber match between the two fighters who each have a win (and a loss) in this particular matchup. Hughes submitted GSP via armbar back at UFC 50 'the war of 04'. With GSP getting a TKO against Hughes more recently in UFC 65 'Bad Intentions'.
Both fighters are top notch all rounders, Hughe's strengths are in his wrestling, GnP and pure strength. GSP is a terrific all rounder, quick on his feet with excellent standup (mu-thai), decent groundwork, understated wrestling abilities and great takedown defence.
The gameplan is simple for both fighters. Hughes will look to take GSP to the ground as soon as possible and work the GnP. Wheras GSP will look to keep the fight standing where he is the superior fighter. Normally Hughes has few problems in taking his opposition to the ground however with GSP he will have problems as he has excelent takedown defence.
As for the fight i can't see much other than a GSP victory, i feel that he has a definative advantage on his feet, picking off hughes when he comes in for a takedown with kicks and punches, and being nimble enough to avoid the takedowns not to mention his sprawl. And i doupt that hughes can take the fight any other way than via GnP. It's very rare to see Hughes as such long odd's against but i do feel that GSP is the worth favourite, however stranger things have happened (just look at GSP's last fight when the whole MMA community was shocked to see 10/1 shot serra make short work of him).

VERDICT - GEORGE St PIERRE

Chuck Liddell (-105) vs. Wanderlei Silva (-125)
The wait is finally over, the fight that all MMA fans have been looking forward to for years is about to happen, the iceman and the axe murder are about to go toe to toe. However something dosn't feel right about this fight. A couple of years ago when the hype first started wand was top of the food chain in the pride 205 division just as chuck was with the UFC, 2 fearsome gladiators of the light heavyweight division, but 2007 hasn't been good years for either fighter who both have consecutive losses on there records. However dispite this, i still expect it to be a great fight.
Not many people think that this fight will go the distance, and neither do i. This fight will start with both fighters on there feet and the only time it will go to the ground will be with one fighter out cold. Both fighters are are all out strikers. Wandy is a relentless aggressor with punches and deadly knees, chuck a counter puncher with powerfull and unorthodox looping hooks.
Its a very close fight to call, and with 2 heavy punchers going toe to toe the whole fight could be decided on a single punch. However chuck has been in decline over his recent fights and i expect wandy to take the fight to him - not something often reccomended against a counter puncher.

VERDICT - WANDERLEI SILVA

Lyoto Machida (-130) vs Rameau Sokoudjou (eve)
Two decent 205 ers in this fight, neither fighter is that well known to UFC fans, Machida has been downright dull in his 3 previous wins in the UFC, prefering to execute a point winning gameplan as opposed for croud pleasing action.
I feel that Machida will follow the same gameplan in this fight aswell on his way to a points decision.

VERDICT - LYOTO MACHIDA

Rich Clementi (+190) vs. Melvin Guillard (-240)
Another good looking lightweight matchup here with the powerfull wrestler and decent striker Guillard and very competent Clementi, with both fighters having plenty of experience.
Gameplan wise, guillard will want to keep the fight standing, maybe following up with a dose of GnP, wheras clementi may want to take the fight to the ground.

VERDICT _ RICH CLEMENTI

Soa Palelei (-155) vs. Eddie Sanchez (+125)
Two heavyweights in a fight that won't go the distance, the value deffinately lies with Sanches here.

VERDICT - EDDIE SANCHES

UNDERCARD

Luis Cane Vs. James Irvin
Manny Gamburyan Vs. Nate Mohr
Dean Lister Vs. Jordan Radev
Roan Carneiro Vs. Tony DeSouza
Doug Evans Vs. Mark Bocek