PDA

View Full Version : Grand Canyon

Win2Win
20th January 2008, 14:46
Awesome....not as impressive as the Horseshoe Pass in Lllangolen :rolleyes:

I'd probably enjoyed it more if the brochures had mentioned SNOW.......Yes SNOW.....In the place where it can reach 140!!!

At the edge of the Canyon it was a lovely -10 :helper

The path alongside was covered in thick ice, and no fence :yikes: A few 1000ft drop about 1 yard away :cuck

I know they say it's an experience but I think they took it a bit far with the instant death potential.

Then trying to find food in the Canyon Village :ermmm No signs anywhere, but plenty of buildings. Took us 20 mins to find, and that was with directions & GPS. Organisational capabilities of a brick.

Then the restaurant had all these strange names for the food, big descrptions....all it ended up was sandwich & chips whatever you ordered :rolleyes:

bigcumba
20th January 2008, 15:01
I'd probably enjoyed it more if the brochures had mentioned SNOW.......Yes SNOW.....In the place where it can reach 140!!!

At the edge of the Canyon it was a lovely -10 :helper

A lot of folk are unaware that the canon rim is actually about 6000 feet above sea level, so in winter it does get rather cold. Were you near that new walkway, and did you brave it? I was going to suggest they wouldn't let me on it bt as I'm probably about the same weight as your average US citizen I'd be OK.

Win2Win
20th January 2008, 16:35
4,500ft actually.....well it was where I wuz at!!

The new walkway was miles away, and you have to pay to get on the reservation before you pay to get on the walkway.

I'd have thought wth it being such an attraction, they'd have made an effort to clear the ice & snow, as it fell two weeks ago!!

Some idiots booked donkey rides into the Canyon :splapme ....must have been English Southerners :D

bigcumba
20th January 2008, 17:16
I'd have thought wth it being such an attraction, they'd have made an effort to clear the ice & snow, as it fell two weeks ago!!

Probably an English company running the gritting and road clearing...:laugh

I think I'd prefer to see it in winter, not as busy, and the snow adds to the scenery.

I forgot that walkway was on Indian land... just give them a bottle of cheap whisky... well it used to work for John Wayne :yikes:

mathare
20th January 2008, 17:25
When we went it was September and it was a beautiful day. We did a (very) early morning helicopter flight out there from Las Vegas and landed on the canyon floor for a spot of breakfast. Awesome sights and being able to wander around a bit of the canyon was nice. Much better that the coach tours you see advertised.

Win2Win
21st January 2008, 02:23
We drove along the East Rim Road, which tourists do not go along. Some nice views, especially at Sunset.

orientalexpress
21st January 2008, 12:18
any pics that you can post ?

mathare
21st January 2008, 12:28
any pics that you can post ?I've got hundreds of my trip to the GC and to Vegas. I'll try and get them all online at some time

orientalexpress
21st January 2008, 13:03
I've got hundreds of my trip to the GC and to Vegas. I'll try and get them all online at some time

wicked :thumbs

Win2Win
22nd January 2008, 04:35
Here's some of the many I took.