PDA

View Full Version : As the RSS has been cut back...

mathare
22nd January 2008, 23:29
...I guess it is left to me to inform you that Heath Ledger (Brokeback Mountain etc.) has been found dead in a New York apartment. Suspected overdose apparently.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7203797.stm

scoobydoo
22nd January 2008, 23:56
:yikes: Bit of a shocker eh...wonder if this fame business is worth it. Only last year they said Owen Wilson attempted suicide allegedly.....very sad indeed.

Win2Win
23rd January 2008, 05:18
He could never handle discovering he was straight in the real world :ermmm

Prescription drugs so they say.....Same as that Florida bimbo a year ago.

BRING BACK RSS :Helooo

Onlyforfun
23rd January 2008, 10:22
What annoys me is that the news are all saying "famous for Brokeback Mountain", when it is clear that A Knights Tale was his greatest work.

Fadetoblack
23rd January 2008, 10:26
:laugh This is true.

I was genuinely shocked though, what a waste.

One thing, a lot is being mentioned about people becoming addicted to prescription drugs. Can someone explain this to me cause I'm at a complete loss...

Win2Win
23rd January 2008, 14:54
:laugh This is true.

I was genuinely shocked though, what a waste.

One thing, a lot is being mentioned about people becoming addicted to prescription drugs. Can someone explain this to me cause I'm at a complete loss...

I take a number of prescription drugs that you can become addicted to. I'm very strong willed, so can just stop, if I do go turkey it just blends in with the rest of the pain, so I don't notice......or I'm just dumb :D

Pychotic drugs are easy to get hooked on, sleeping pills, strong pain killers, etc.

GlosRFC
23rd January 2008, 16:51
At a loss about what? The fact that they're addicted to drugs, or that the drugs are prescribed?

Any drug, by definition, is a substance introduced into the body that modifies one or more of the bodily functions. In the case of a simple drug, such as paracetamol, it can be one which blocks the pain receptors - or it can be a narcotic drug which structurally alters the brain and therefore affects one's mood. All of these effects can be addictive. Someone suffering from severe pain is just as likely to become addicted to the 'relief' offered by aspirin, as someone addicted to 'highs' of heroin, drink, or nicotine.

Prescription drugs are stronger than non-prescription drugs. So strong, that many are more addictive than illicit street drugs. That's why they're prescribed by a certified physician who understands the effect they're likely to have and who can recommend a dose that's appropriate to the patient's requirements. This is intended to provide a safeguard to prevent the patient from becoming addicted.

But there's nothing to prevent a patient from obtaining prescribed drugs; either illegally or by simply registering with a different doctor. In some cases they're prescribed by the original doctor because they believe it's in the patient's best interests. For example, a patient may inform their doctor that xyz drug helps ease the pain but only for a few hours...so the doctor unwittingly prescribes a larger dosage of xyz drug.