PDA

View Full Version : Recipes for Heart patients who are diabetic

shaunx
25th January 2008, 06:52
Hey folks, my mom is diabetic and a heart patient. If anyone has recipes that are good for such a person, please share. Thanks.

susanwells
26th January 2008, 00:40
Main thing is that she balances her carbohydrate (diabetes) and doesn`t have too much of the bad (saturated and hydrogenated ) fats (heart.) Plenty of lean meat, fish but not deep fried, veg of any kind, fruit, ditto, wholemeal bread, pasta, cereals.Eggs are good. Not much cheese - very fatty. Semi-skimmed milk. If she eats a well balanced diet of these things she won`t go far wrong and when she has a treat make sure it`s a good treat.. i.e. biscuits like wholemeal McVitie`s digestives and some dark chocolate, fruit crumble with wholewheat and nutty topping. It`s the junk that`s bad - rubbish non-food snacks. If she is Type 1 Diabetic she`ll be used to balancing her carbs / insulin anyway. If Type 2 she won`t be on insulin but watching that she doesn`t have too much sugar and doesn`t get too overweight. Salads are good though not everyone likes them. Nuts though they`re high in calories so not too many. Bananas, apples and oranges, fruit smoothies, red fruits like rasps, cherries,red grapes. Alcohol.. a glass of red wine is good, as is a tot of whisky if she likes it. Keeps the arteries open. Not too much though.
There are plenty of cookery books of healthy-eating recipes or google something like 'wholefood recipes' and see what comes up. But if she grills or bakes or steams things, only the occasional roast or fried (though you can fry in rapeseed oil which is very good for you..)
Hope this is useful. :hearty
Hope this helps.

TheOldhamWhisper
26th January 2008, 12:10
Thanks for posting Susan but if his previous posts are anything to go by, I would be surprised if this guy (if it is a guy!) even has a mom! He is (among other things) interested in Snowboarding - even though he resides in India - and has apparently joined a club for runners in Essex!!

His main reason for posting is to try and get links to a forum into his posts which earned him a banning from around a dozen or so internet forums.