PDA

View Full Version : Airport Security....etc...

Win2Win
26th January 2008, 12:27
Leaving the UK from Manchester they do not ask you to take off your shoes, which they do in the US. I also did not see one armed guard anywhere near the security area, plenty in the US.

Immigration, must have been between 30-40 windows open in the US, with never more than 8 in a queue. Getting back at Manchester, 2 officers, and 1 queue with 3 plane loads in it :yikes:

.....oh, and 2 open for non UK residents :rolleyes: .....one a token of a muslim weaing the black sheet :ermmm ....What happened to the Uniform? ;fire

Customs. USA you need to fill in a form, and a good number get stopped. They even have there own xray machines for checking for drugs, food (not allowed fresh fruit, meat....), etc.

In Manchester, customs was closed!!! :splapme

What a farce.

On top of that, the majority of Yanks, think we are stupid with security in the UK, I agree with that, and that the UK is basically the Western Safe House for terrorists. Yep....got that about right as well. :ermmm

samantha1303
26th January 2008, 13:06
Leaving the UK from Manchester they do not ask you to take off your shoes, which they do in the US. I also did not see one armed guard anywhere near the security area, plenty in the US.

Immigration, must have been between 30-40 windows open in the US, with never more than 8 in a queue. Getting back at Manchester, 2 officers, and 1 queue with 3 plane loads in it :yikes:

.....oh, and 2 open for non UK residents :rolleyes: .....one a token of a muslim weaing the black sheet :ermmm ....What happened to the Uniform? ;fire

Customs. USA you need to fill in a form, and a good number get stopped. They even have there own xray machines for checking for drugs, food (not allowed fresh fruit, meat....), etc.

In Manchester, customs was closed!!! :splapme

What a farce.

On top of that, the majority of Yanks, think we are stupid with security in the UK, I agree with that, and that the UK is basically the Western Safe House for terrorists. Yep....got that about right as well. :ermmm

Thats why I no longer fly from Manchester unless there is absoloutely no other option.
I used to like Manc airport but now its a joke.After landing you have to walk forever to passport control then queue up for half a day.
I use the smaller airports now , a short walk from the plane and queue for a few minutes. Ok they don't have as many flights landing but Manc should open more desks.

I'm surpirised you didn't have to take your shoes off, at Liverpool you have to take off your jacket, shoes and belt, then try to get through the bleeper clutching your jeans so they don't fall down :laugh

Win2Win
26th January 2008, 13:16
I take my belt off, empty all my pockets, jewellry etc, and put it all in the front pocket of my laptop bag. Makes it all quicker.

Apart from at Manchester :splapme

The security guy at the xray machine said my laptop bag was too big, as it had the printer, and all cables in it, plus one pocket full of the stuff I would take out for the flight. So after spending minutes explaining it was my 7th trip with the same bag from Manchester airport, and that US Airways had verified it was fine with them, he picked it up and tried to get it in the measuring box. It didn't fit by about 2mm :ermmm

He then said I had to check it in, no way, worth over £3000. So I crippled myself kneeling to reorgabise everything in our other bag, and our pockets. Then picked the bag up, and it fit in his magic box.

Then the ::swear :censored: said OK, you need to take the laptop & printer out for xray. ;fire ;fire ;fire ....which made it half the original size.

wb
26th January 2008, 13:30
Last week I went to the Spurs/Sunderland game.

I threw my few things in a bag I normally use when driving (my motorbike). I forgot to check the front pocket for metal objects. I got through on both sides without any problem.
Later, when I was home, I opened the front pocket only to discover that I had a puncture repair kit which contains very sharp spike like instruments, a stanley blade and a few screwdrivers!

Win2Win
26th January 2008, 14:17
....a stanley blade and a few screwdrivers!

You've just admitted smuggling these objects onto a plane :yikes: