PDA

View Full Version : Double Glazing

mathare
14th February 2008, 15:33
Anyone know much about the cost of new double glazing?

I have had a quote recently but want to know if it any good or not. It's for two sets of patio doors, two front doors and around 9 windows. The quote has come out at roughly 12 grand.

That sound reasonable, does anyone know?

It's a time-limited quote and is about to expire so I could do with knowing how good a deal I am being offered ASAP

Win2Win
14th February 2008, 16:36
7 Windows (including 2 bays) last year cost my parents around £3000

£12,000 sounds like robbery :yikes:

TheOldhamWhisper
14th February 2008, 16:39
...It's a time-limited quote and is about to expire so I could do with knowing how good a deal I am being offered ASAP

If they think they will get the business, they will be more than willing to extend the deadline.

I'd suggest getting at least 3 quotes for comparison before even thinking of parting with 12k!

Win2Win
14th February 2008, 16:44
Business will be gagging for customers with the current downturn, so you should be able to haggle any price. Don't go for the bigger companies, see if you can find a local one.

mathare
14th February 2008, 16:49
This is a local firm, and the quote incudes a subsidy for letting them put up an advertising board for a couple of weeks

Win2Win
14th February 2008, 17:16
You can work out an approx price on this site http://www.doubleglazingontheweb.co.uk/windows_1.php

sparkyminer
14th February 2008, 17:35
Get 3 or 4 quotes from local reputable firms. Then play them off against each other. They will all come down to the same price, within a couple of quid of each other, because they all have similar raw material, labour and manufacturing costs. The only variable is the greedy salesman. Try to get a firm who don't have loads of salesmen. Visit their showroom, make sure they're not trading from a retail park car park.:)
Don't be afraid to ask for discounts and be quite forceful over it. They will do the same to you. When the price is as low as it's going to go. Go for the one who can fit it earliest.:)

Jonny2621
15th February 2008, 22:46
I had a top to bottom double glazing job on the house 4/5 years ago. The first quite nearly left me breathless so I kicked the saleman out. I got the time limited quote and as the deadline approached they cut the price three times. So i went for brinkmanship and let the deadline pass. Two days later I got the sales director on the phone. I ended up paying just under 40% of the first quote :thumbs.

Still think I could have got more off but I was in ahurry to get the windows in!

Fraid to say double glazing salesmen earn their reputation, cowboys par excellence...

mathare
16th February 2008, 10:50
I told the fella we were interested but wouldn't be pressed into anything and wanted to speak to a few more firms first. He was quite decent about it all really

Win2Win
16th February 2008, 13:27
I would have just said, "Call that an offer? Come back when you've learnt how to sell things".......

pilky201
16th February 2008, 13:40
Obviousley working for the biggest glass manufacturer in the world and know good companies to deal with, I suggest getting a quote from Safe Style UK . They are one of the market leaders and are very well priced and at the moment buy one get one free (BOGOF). They are a nationwide company and you get a 10 year guarantee :thumbs

mathare
16th February 2008, 13:41
Cheers Pilky :thumbs

I forgot when I posted this that you might pop in at some point. I'm pleased you did.

pilky201
16th February 2008, 13:45
The only downside with alot of these glazing companies they want you to have there products on the Knock and at 29.9 apr over 5 years is crazy.

Brenda
16th February 2008, 14:29
Always get at least 3 comparisons for anything.
Best,
B

sparkyminer
16th February 2008, 14:41
Sorry Pilky but Safestyle UK were a lot more expensive than everyone else when they quoted me.

Win2Win
16th February 2008, 16:30
Cheapest is not always best, in most cases it is worse.

pilky201
16th February 2008, 21:38
The thing is Sparky i'm not claiming they are the cheapest but for quality and support, they are up there with the best. I also think what Keith has said is true cheapest is not always good, you only get what you pay for. Sometimes its worth paying a little more for quality. IMO everyone likes to see there money go further, but don't cut corners.