PDA

View Full Version : European Referendum

Win2Win
5th March 2008, 14:50
If we don't get one, I'm voting Tory next time....had enough of Brown already :icon_tong (..and I've voted Labour the last twice :ooo)

...and the LibDems :splapme....what a bunch of plonkers with their stand on it :butthead:

scoobydoo
5th March 2008, 15:03
Yes I would like one...so we can get some truth from both sides instead of the :censored: in The Sun and Daily Mail etc

Jonny2621
5th March 2008, 15:46
If we don't get one, I'm voting Tory next time....had enough of Brown already :icon_tong (..and I've voted Labour the last twice :ooo)

...and the LibDems :splapme....what a bunch of plonkers with their stand on it :butthead:

Sorry Keith, you been sniffin summit ?????!!!

Hell is about to freeze over methinks..... :yikes:

Win2Win
5th March 2008, 16:08
I've heard Tory voters get a discount on Clapham Common :wink

buddhabee
5th March 2008, 19:21
A referendum on whether we stay in it or get out.

They've been banging on about reforming the Common Agricultural Policy since I was at school in the 70s.

Let's face it. It ain't gonna happen.

We've all been lied to.

And the accounts haven't been signed off for years.

scoobydoo
5th March 2008, 22:59
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7277644.stm

So there wont be one then...maybe voters will make the Govt regret this decision?

Jonny2621
5th March 2008, 23:03
Its the usual arrogance from our so-called Govt. Basically they fear they would lose a referendum so there is no way they will hold one.....

Bill
6th March 2008, 11:31
Yes, we should have had a referendum. I know we elected these bams to Westminster but if the majority of UK citizens don't want to be in the Union then these pea brains should listen to them. The same goes if the referendum would have voted yes. It is us who are being treated as the pea brains. Imagine if there had been a referendum on going to war with Iraq. You know what the result would have been. All the carnage and heartache would have been avoided. Enough said!!!

Win2Win
6th March 2008, 11:52
Actually, I'm pretty sure we would have backed the war in Iraq at the time.

scoobydoo
6th March 2008, 11:57
Why is it that only politicians, who know they will lose, call referendums anti-democratic?

Ken Clarke said it yesterday, Chris Patten has said it a few years ago...both pro-europeans btw. Thatcher is believed to have said it as well, a device that dictators use so the pro-european thing ends there then! :doh But what could be more democratic than a decision being put to all the people...yes or no. & if they are so anti-democratic...why were all 3 main parties proposing one in their manifestos for the 2005 election? So now you wouldnt know who to punish at the next election as they have all reneged on their commitment! :ermmm

scoobydoo
6th March 2008, 12:00
Actually, I'm pretty sure we would have backed the war in Iraq at the time.

I think it would have gone through as well...but then we didnt know the whole truth then did we?

mathare
6th March 2008, 14:09
If you want a referendum then why not push for proportional representation too?

As it is a small majority in a constituency is worth the same as a large majority (the seat) so does it really reflect how popular a candidate, his party and their policies are? Should politicians be elected without a majority vote? If there are 10 candidates and one gets 20% of the vote with the remaining 9 candidates having the other 80% spread equally among them then the candidate with 20% will win the seat even though 4 out of 5 voters wanted someone else.

Win2Win
6th March 2008, 14:33
:doh The government never promised us that!

scoobydoo
6th March 2008, 14:44
:doh The government never promised us that!

True...but the Lib Dems do...if they get elected that is!! :doh

Win2Win
6th March 2008, 14:51

If any of them are left by the time of the election :D

buddhabee
6th March 2008, 20:33
:23_116_6[

Wickersley
6th March 2008, 21:05
And how does the Lisbon treaty change our lives? can't be bothered with a referendum.