PDA

View Full Version : my amazing penalty shootout record

peza2605
12th March 2008, 23:46
just watched the two uefa cup games involving everton and spurs. wanted them both to get through(yes even everton! dont dislike them though), but they both lost on penalties.

which ,made me think. ive seen quite a few penalty shootouts in my time and i can only remember 1 that ended up the way i wanted it too. that was england v spain in euro 96.

the list of dishonour includes

england v germany 1990,1996

england v argies 1998

england v portugal 2004,2006

united v southampton 1993?,

united v arsenal 2005

united v some russian side 1996?

roma v liverpool 1984

birmingham v liverpool 2001

ac milan v liverpool 2005

west ham v liverpool 2006

chelsea v liverpool 2007

even germany v france (i think ) 1982 world cup

a good lay system here me thinks.

peza2605
12th March 2008, 23:55
also i remember a portsmouth v liverpool fa cup semi final in the 80's/90's

scoobydoo
13th March 2008, 00:05
As soon as you start laying them pez...believe me the results will turn! :D

The Utd V Saints one was with Shearer so it was 91/92 I think...I remember Flowers running the length of OT! :ermmm

& I remember the Liverpool V Pompey one..it was 92 as wel...Matt will recall this match!l:ermmm

MattR
13th March 2008, 00:14
My worst moment ever at a football match.

We missed three, two wide I think and Kit Symons our centre back calmy put his away :splapme We hit the bar in the second half as well.

I never want to go through a penalty shootout in a situation like that again. Although if we're a goal down in extra time on April 5th I may reconsider that statement! :laugh

scoobydoo
13th March 2008, 00:24
Matt, was that the match Beresford slumped to his knees after taking a pen or am I imagining it?

MattR
13th March 2008, 00:35
Yep, him and Kuhl were our regular penalty takers and I don't think either missed all season and they both put them wide. We had played so well over both games as well, and had already come within 3 and a half minutes of getting to Wembley after Anderton scored in extra time in the first game only for Whelan to knock in a rebound from a John Barnes free kick.

We had the makings of a really good team that year with a few young players coming through like Anderton, Awford and Symons and we'd signed Whittingham as well, who went on to get over 40 goals the next season in a great partnership with Paul Walsh We made the play offs only to be robbed in that with an offside goal! Then the owner promptly let most of our best players go and years of battling to avoid relegation from Division 1 as it was then ensued! I've lost count of the last day survivals we had over the next 8 or 9 years! The most memorable being a trip up to Bradford where we won 3-1 with goals from Sammy Igoe, who I noticed on sunday is now at Bristol Rovers, and John Durnin. That was the season that Man City went down to Div 2, so you'll remember it well. So I expect you enjoyed our win as much as we did! I think they won 4-1 against Stoke, and at one stage we were drawing and would have gone down instead, but the win kept us up and sent them down.

scoobydoo
13th March 2008, 00:45
I remember you had a good team yes...and then they sold them all nearly didnt they! Whittingham went to Villa didnt he? It was one of the first matches I recall watching on Sky and I had to go to my brothers to watch the replay...I was nearly as gutted as you I can assure you!

I rermember the City v Stoke match yes but my memory is hazy about who went down etc....though remember they did! :) Its amazing how fast the years go when you look at it through football matches.It doesnt seem that long ago since '92...I was in my early 20's!! Its depressing really isnt it! :yikes:

peza2605
13th March 2008, 07:45
has anyone apart from the liverpool fans seen their team win a shootout??

Win2Win
13th March 2008, 10:50
:D

MattR
13th March 2008, 20:52

To be fair, nobody else has had that many opportunities! :laugh

Iron Chris
13th March 2008, 21:56
My worst day was seeing Scunthorpe United lose a Play-Off Final at Wembley on penalties against Blackpool...:cryer

We were also the first to lose an F.A Cup replay on penalties when we lost at Rotherham...:rolleyes:

Win2Win
14th March 2008, 10:13
I reckon, instead of the managers picking the team, the whole squad turns up and has a penalty shootout before kick-off. He can then pick the team from those that score :thumbs. That'll teach the ones who cockup to put some work in.