PDA

View Full Version : Ufc 83

presto
19th April 2008, 01:40
Matt Serra (+300) vs. Georges St. Pierre (-450)
The first fight between these two fighters was after matt serra emerged victorious from the TUF reality show to earn himself a shot at the champ GSP. Nobody (including myself) gave Serra a chance of winning the fight against GSP who looked like the new king of the welterweight division after dominating matt hughes. What would happen in this most predictable of matchups well..... err..... didn't exactly pan out as predicted, with Serra KOing GSP in the first round for one of the biggest upsets in the history of the UFC.
Since the first fight Matt Serra has been out through injury, whilst GSP has looked impressive over both Matt Hughes and Josh Koscheck. As for a prediction for this fight i have to say GSP all the way, he is such a complete fighter, striking, cardio, takedown defence, wrestling, submission - and the rest he is the complete package. Serra is mainly known for his BJJ though he showed last time out he isn't afraid to go toe to toe and has some power in his hands, though cardio could let him down - especially in a long 5 rounder. I just can't see lightning striking twice though. GSP certainly learnt a mental lesson in the pairs last fight on complacency, so no doupt he will want to be impressive in his own backyard for this fight and thats exactly what i predict, a GSP KO win.

VERDICT - GSP

Rich Franklin (-350) vs. Travis Lutter (+275)
Another former champ will take on a TUF winner in this fight. Matchup wise both fighters will want the fight to go different ways. Franklin is by far the better striker and will want to keep the fight standing where he has a huge advantage over lutter who will want to take the fight to the ground.
Style wise i feel that Franklin holds a huge advantage as not only is he the superior fighter he also has great takedown defence, which i feel lutter will find very hard to overcome. As for a prediction i feel that Franklin will get a KO victory.

VERDICT - franklin

Michael Bisping (-330) vs. Charles McCarthy (+260)
Bisping is making his debut in the middleweight division after a controvercial win over matt hammil and a close loss to rashad evans. The switch to the middleweight division could be a good move for Bisping as he was never a big fighter at 205lbs and if he is comfortable moving down to the 185lbs division he will be a much bigger threat. i also think Bisping has a better chance at a belt in this division and will also add fresh talent to the middleweights as the 205lbs division is already packed with talent.
I feel that McCarthy is overmatched by Bisping in nearly every aspect of the fight, especially in the standup where Bisping holds a huge advantage. I feel that bisping should secure a KO in his middleweight debut.

VERDICT - BISPING

Kalib Starnes (+260) vs. Nate Quarry (-330)
This looks like it could be a good close fight, Quarry has a bit of an advantage in the standup wheras i give starnes the advantage on the mat.
OK i tried to give a write up to this one, but the thing that strikes me most about the matchup is the odd's - starnes @ +260 and Quarry @ -330. come on now this is a pretty even fight, so what the hell are the odds makers thinking? As i said before i really think this will be a close fight, and even before i saw the odd's i thaught that. so as a value call Starnes lookes a cracking bet.

VERDICT - STARNES

Mark Bocek vs. Mac Danzig
Danzig looked impressive during TUF and in this matchup he is the better fighter, well rounded with good striking and submissions. Bocek on the other hand is primaraly a wrestler. This matchup looks terrible for Bocek, in the standup Danzig is by far the better striker and even if Danzig is taken to the ground he is comfortable there with the better submission skills. So wherever the fight may go i see Danzig having the edge and feel he will finish the fight without needing the judges.

VERDICT - Danzig

presto
21st April 2008, 21:32
W4 L1

not sure if anyone watched the fight's but Kalib Starnes fight against Nate Quarry was a :censored: discrace to the sport, and no wonder the price was so off the mark (IMO). As it was clear that he didn't come to fight - the fight wasn't fixed (no fix would be that odbvious) but apparently (according to a dubious source) Kalib did it as a protest against the UFC over medical bills.

he basically ran away all 3 rounds (15 mins), one judge was so disgusted with him that he scored the fight an unheard of 24-30, and was subsequently cut from the UFC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LifrupArheM