PDA

View Full Version : boxing - Calzaghe vs Hopkins

presto
19th April 2008, 13:14
supprised theres no thread on this yet.
really want calzaghe to win this one, and reckon he will do it, but it will be a tough one probably by decision. betting wise i won't touch it, odd's on calzaghe seem too skinny and moving up a division against a tricky, tough opposition things are never simple.

Street cry
19th April 2008, 13:26
i agree calzaghe will win but he will have to be more disciplined than against kessler. He will have to "box" hopkins and rely on work rate over anything else. He does not want to get on the inside too often neither does he want to get in to tear ups because hopkins will hurt him if he gets the chance. A close points decision would not be ideal he has to win comfortably and must rely on boxing skills to do so. I do wonder personally if Calzaghe will be stronger at this weight having to boil down abit these days at supermiddleweight cant be great for him and he may have a bit more snap at this weight. If so they may gamble on taking hopkins out in the later rounds but have to offset that against the potential of calzaghe busting his hand . I would back calzaghe on points if i had to but its not abetting fight in my opinion. Audrey harrison on the undercard woooooo hooooooo reckons he is gonna win this and then have a "sexy" fight with david haye had to laugh at that.

eruptive plot
19th April 2008, 15:13
does anyone know what time the fight is due to start.if its gone 2 i'll just sky+ it

Street cry
19th April 2008, 15:16
3 oclock mate

Street cry
19th April 2008, 15:17
i'll be there with agallon of wife beater in side me come on joe !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

counterfeit
19th April 2008, 15:35
I've said for many years that because he is not on "normal" TV, he does not get the recognition he heserves with the general public.

Without doubt one of the greatest British boxers ever and probably a World great. Never ducked a challenge and has never, ever looked like getting beaten. He hardly ever has to take a punch which might be just as well as I don't think he has the greatest chin.

I think he will win tonight and it's a shame that this fight couldn't have happened 10 years ago when both were as good as anything in the world.

Street cry
19th April 2008, 16:00
i think he will win too cf but i do think his chin is solid enough but i agree with you that it is a shame he never got the fights, earlier us exposure would have raised his profile but pathetic purse offers from jones jr and the like were not worth risking his title over. I do think that calzaghe is as good now as he has been if he beats hopkins as expected he could vacate and then clean out the light heavyweight division but i doubt he would want to do that.

Win2Win
19th April 2008, 17:37
Just as long as Cal smashes him to a pulp I don't care who wins :rolleyes:

Street cry
20th April 2008, 04:05
Calzaghe robbed al ways up hopkins a disgrace to the sport

Street cry
20th April 2008, 04:11
fantastic thought he would be shafted by the yanks justice prevails excellent

orientalexpress
20th April 2008, 04:21
dispite the first low blow, calzaghe clearly showed his best. credit given to hopkins for "controlling" the fight. Well done