PDA

View Full Version : The End of Season Explained!

vegyjones
26th April 2008, 19:16
Premiership

The Title

Arsenal can still theoretically win the title but need Chelsea and Manchester United to drop points in both of their final two games - unnlikely.

Manchester United only need to match Chelsea's results to win the title, barring some absurd winning scorelines for the Blues. Anything less and Chelsea take the Title

Champions League Positions

Looks sorted. Chelsea, Man United, Arsenal and Liverpool. Evertonb could still theoretically dispose Liverpool, but need to win their final 3 and Liverpool to lose both their remaining games and for the goal difference to close significantly in the process.

Uefa Cup

Between Everton, A Villa, and Pompey. Manchester City missed out today barring some highly unlikely results. Villa play Everton tomorrow and would go level on points if they win.

Relegation

Derby are down.
Then it's any 2 from Wigan, Middlesbrough, Bolton, Reading, Birmingham and Fulham. Birmingham play Fulham next week which could relegate Fulham, but none of the other sides involved play any of the other 5 involved in ther last 2 weeks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Championship

Automatic Promotion

4 points would see West Brom crowned Champions. Should West Brtom lose tomorrow, then the title will be between Hull, West Bromwich, and Stoke.
Hull need to win and hope either West Brom lost both remianing fixtures or Stoke lost their single remianing fixture. A pointr would be good enough for both Stoke and West Brom bar Hull winning by 13 goals. Stoke need to pick up as many points as West Brom do from their remianing games to be crowned Champoions providing both don't lose all of them and Hull win in which case Hull would be Champoions. West Brom bettering Stoke's result by a single point over their two games would see them crowned Champions.

Play-Offs

Bristol City and the loser of the automatic promotion places fight are guaranteed spots.
It's any other two from Watford, Crystal Palace, Wolves, Ipswich and Sheffield United.

Relegation

Colchester United and Scunthorpe will be playing in League One next season.
It's between Blackpool, Coventry, Leicester City, Southampton or Sheffield Wendnesday. Should Southampton only pick up 1 point from their 2 remianing games, they will be relegated. If they lose either of their two games, Blackpool and Coventry would be assured safety.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

League One

Automatic Promotion

The promotion picture is clouded by the pending decision on whether Leeds are entitled to their deducted points reinstated.Should they be unsuccessful, this is how it will play out...

Swansea are up as Champions
If Doncaster win they will go up with Swansea. If Doncaster lose, Nottingham Forest would only need a draw providing Carlisle do not win. Carlisle need to win and hope both Doncaster and Forest drop points to finish 2nd.

Play-Offs

The two losers from the above fight will join Southend Unied and Leeds who are assured of a play off place.

Relegation

Luton and Port Vale have long since been relegated.
Two from Crewe, Bournemouth, Gillingham and Cheltenham will be joining them. Crewe only need to draw to be safe. Cheltenham must match or better the results of Gillingham and Bournemouth.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

League Two

Automatic Promotion

Hereford won today to guarantee a place in League Two along with Peterborough and Champions MK Dons.

PLay-Offs

Rochdale, Stockport, Darlington and Wycombe will battle it out for promotion via the play-offs.

Relagetion

Wrexham have already been relegated to the Conference.
Dagenham won today to make themselves safe ruining what would have been a mouth watering clash against Mansfield next week in a winner stays up game. Mansfield must now win and hope Chester lose their remianing two games to stay up.

scoobydoo
26th April 2008, 20:27
That Fulham result may cost Sven his job in the long run I reckon...if he had any doubts about him...that might have done it!

vegyjones
26th April 2008, 20:30
That draw at Wigan could be massive for Reading and Steve Coppell bearing in mind they play Derby on the final day of the season!

scoobydoo
26th April 2008, 20:39
That draw at Wigan could be massive for Reading and Steve Coppell bearing in mind they play Derby on the final day of the season!

I was hoping Wigan won so they could put their feet up...they way its going they could need something from Utd on the last day! Then again I cant see Brum getting 2 wins...Fulham will beat them next week I reckon given both teams form.

sparkyminer
26th April 2008, 21:53
Mansfield must now win and hope Chester lose their remianing two games to stay up.
We're doomed I'm afraid mate.:(

yerotsluap
26th April 2008, 21:57
I was hoping Wigan won so they could put their feet up...they way its going they could need something from Utd on the last day! Then again I cant see Brum getting 2 wins...Fulham will beat them next week I reckon given both teams form.

If Brum still need points they will win last game at home to Blackburn, we have nothing left to play for

Win2Win
26th April 2008, 22:11
We're doomed I'm afraid mate.:(
Bit like Alastair Darling :thumbs

MattR
27th April 2008, 17:46
Should Southampton only pick up 1 point from their 2 remianing games, they will be relegated. -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Come on you Baggies! :D

vegyjones
27th April 2008, 19:41
If Brum still need points they will win last game at home to Blackburn, we have nothing left to play for

Fulham are in a better position, they've got Portsmouth, whose inds are elsewhere!!

MattR
27th April 2008, 19:58
Yes that could be a good game for them. If they can beat Birmingham they'll have a great chance of staying up. Unless 5th place is still in reach which is very unlikely now then I'm sure we'll field mostly reserves, with just Defoe from the normal 11 starting as he's cup tied.