PDA

View Full Version : Burma Typhoon

susanwells
10th May 2008, 15:49
As always, the people who suffer are the people who go on suffering. But no chance of my giving anything until I am sure it isn`t going to the government or the military. I hate being like that and the disaster appeals are popping up all over the net - but so long as they refuse entry or commandeer the food and medical supplies, is there any point in giving ? It`s evil.

Win2Win
10th May 2008, 16:10
Best time for an uprising is now with a lot of the military having family wiped out.

Anyway, during the floods in the UK last year, I don't remember any Asian countires donating money or aid to us! :doh

TheOldhamWhisper
10th May 2008, 16:17
...Anyway, during the floods in the UK last year, I don't remember any Asian countires donating money or aid to us!

I don't remember 10s of thousands of UK residents dying and 100s of thousands being made homeless either.

But I'm with Susan on this one - until a fully structured UN aid program is in place, I am very reluctant to donate anything.

susanwells
10th May 2008, 21:17
I see that they are accepting some aid from India and Singapore...but yes, a co-ordinated UN response is the only way really. Otherwise the aid never ever gets to the people who need it. It looks as if medical aid is most needed. I generally give via medecins sans frontieres who usually manage to get anywhere quite early on and have an excellent record in low-costs and reaching the right people too. I commend them to anyone who wants to give. Friend of mine, a doctor, had her family and they grew up and she and decided to spend a year working for MSF.. mainly in Ethiopia.. she said it was not only incredibly worthwhile and really reached the people but she was very impressed at how little waste there was. So I always go for them now. :hearty