PDA

View Full Version : 8-1

Win2Win
11th May 2008, 21:16
Was this a :icon_tong message from Sven & the players to the owner's......they couldn't have been that crap unless they wanted to be.

mathare
11th May 2008, 21:27
With the sending off I wonder if they are still top of the fair play charts...

MattR
11th May 2008, 23:21
If they aren't then Fulham are in Europe :ooo

scoobydoo
11th May 2008, 23:56
If they aren't then Fulham are in Europe :ooo

Just heard that...& it would be well deserved! :D

peza2605
12th May 2008, 12:09
any news on the european thing?. 8-1 :ermmm it would be just like city to blow a uefa cup spot by having a player sent off in the last game.

8-1:laugh:laugh:laugh:laugh:laugh:laugh:laugh:laugh

city keep me amused.

mathare
12th May 2008, 12:21
Decision due next week apparently.

It involves more than just player disciplinary records. Player attitudes towards referees and positive play are also factored in. The FA need to tot up these things for the last two games of the season and get UEFA to audit the data before they can announce who has got the UEFA Cup spot

MattR
12th May 2008, 13:03
This seems to be the current position, it says up to and including 5th may, so perhaps there is just one week to add now.

You've got to be kidding that Man Utd have one of the best respect to referee scores! :laugh

Fair Play Table | Official Site of the Premier League - Barclays Premier League News, Fixtures and Results | Matchday (http://www.premierleague.com/page/FairPlayTable/0,,12306,00.html)

scoobydoo
12th May 2008, 13:05
This seems to be the current position, it says up to and including 5th may, so perhaps there is just one week to add now.

You've got to be kidding that Man Utd have one of the best respect to referee scores! :laugh

Fair Play Table | Official Site of the Premier League - Barclays Premier League News, Fixtures and Results | Matchday (http://www.premierleague.com/page/FairPlayTable/0,,12306,00.html)

The league never lies Matt!! :D

MattR
12th May 2008, 13:07
:laugh

mathare
12th May 2008, 13:10
Each team has played 36 games so there are still two games per team to be added.

scoobydoo
12th May 2008, 13:12
:laugh

Be careful...I might put some money on Pompey for Saturday....& if I do...I assure you...you are doomed! :D Did you go yesterday? I see Harry was really angry by some of the fans booing at the end...saw his interview on MOTD last night.

mathare
12th May 2008, 13:17
In their last two games Man City picked up 4 points (1 red, 1 yellow) while Fulham picked up 2. All other things being equal Fulham have gained 2 points on Man City which puts both sides level on points! It all comes down to the other factors then. Exciting stuff

scoobydoo
12th May 2008, 13:24
This UEFA place for a fair league does my head in really...youve had Villa and Everton working their :butthead: off to try and get in...and then they give a place for this. IMHO its not right. Give it to Villa I say...they are much more deserving. I mean to give a place to Fulham...it would be laughable wouldnt it????:doh

MattR
13th May 2008, 11:13
I agree Scooby. It seems a bit of a strange way to get into Europe. Fair enough a country gets rewarded for winning the European fair play league, but surely then it would make sense to give it to the highest finishing team who haven't qualified for Europe.

There were a few boos on Sunday yes. I thought we played quite well actually just tried to walk it the net was the main problem and I worry where the goals are going to come from next week.

As to Redknapp I think a lot of people are getting fed up with his reaction to any kind of criticism. Anything said against the form or the run of defeats and it's "This used to happen all the time four or five years back", "We're Portsmouth, not Man Utd", "Look where we were when I took over". Fair enough, but you have spent over 50 million on players and the bars raised now, we don't have the crap team we had 5 or 6 years ago now, we have a team full of internationals.

He's certainly one to blow his own trumpet that's for sure. In the paper monday he was commenting on what a great escape Hodgson had managed for Fulham. Then he went on to say but it wasn't as good as mine. He's got some good players, we had useless players here and I still got us to stay up. He managed to gloss over the fact he was given money to buy 9 new players in the January when he came back!

So basically, yes he's done a great job here and everybody is greatful for that but getting a bit fed up with him blowing his own trumpet about it and reacting to any criticism by telling us how crap we were before he came.

The fact is 5th place was up for grabs and we've lost 4 games in a row and dropped 8 points from our last nine at home in games which included Newcastle and Fulham. Finishing 8pts behind Everton shows how close it might have been.

It's been a great season and to reach the cup final is the icing on the cake. I don't think anyone expects us to be in the top 4 or anything ridiculous. I think it's just a case of people getting fed up with him trotting out the same things all the time.

There were some interesting comments from Sol Campbell in the local paper yesterday saying how they had to get away from being satisfied with 8th place and how there were a lot of players in the team who'd been successful and the minimum they should be aiming at is a European place. Which seemed to me to be a bit of a dig at Redknapps comments.

That's the problem with a bit of success I suppose, it raises the bar and expectations with it!

mathare
13th May 2008, 11:24
If Harry hadn't got Pompey to the FA Cup final I dare say things would be very different with the fans

MattR
13th May 2008, 11:26
If Harry hadn't got Pompey to the FA Cup final I dare say things would be very different with the fans

I suppose the thing we'll never know is whether the league form would have been better without the FA Cup looming in the background.

scoobydoo
13th May 2008, 11:40
I agree with you....We've had this quite a few times with Redknapp havent we Matt? He doesnt like it in any way if the fans criticise the team...and he does use that one about what the team was like a few years ago quite a bit doesnt he. Some fans were uneasy earlier in the season about your home record I think werent they?

I have watched his reactions to interviews over the years and I saw him last season I think,maybe before that, where he had a right go at the chap for asking about their bad run you were on...he then went onto to say about where they still were in the league etc etc. It is exactly as you say though...people get success and want more of it. I would dread to think what would happen if you lost the Cup Final...I think he could walk away from football....this match is about Redknapps legacy in the game really isnt it? I dont think though you can take much notice of those last 4 games of your season...the Cup Final is everything to Pompey now and I think I heard him say a month ago that he would take 8th in the league and win the cup...if he does it I tell you all the fans who were booing will forgive him in a shot!:)

MattR
13th May 2008, 12:48
Yeah. He does seem to try to come across as some miracle worker but seems to forget he's spent a lot of money so although he's done well, he probably should have done with what he's had to play with. He also has an annoying pigheadedness (and I guess all managers do to some extent) to continually play a player who he bought when they are not playing well and there are better players not getting a game. Papa Boupa Diop being the prime example at the moment. He continually gives the ball away with sloppy passes and he wasn't getting in Fulham's team which says a lot. Sean Davis or Pedro Mendes offer a lot more.

He sold Gary O'Neill to Middlesboro. While not an exceptional player by any means and a good deal price wise, we didn't have a right sided midfield replacement and have shuffled players and formations about all season to fill the spot. He also got a lot of peoples backs up by selling Matt Taylor who was a big fan favourite.

On the plus side he's picked up some real gems like Kranjcar, Distin and Diarra, and some inspired signings like James and Johnson and of course signing Defoe was a great move. We really do need to qualify for Europe though, otherwise our best players are going to move on.

Oh how I long for the days of battling relegation in the Championship :laugh