PDA

View Full Version : Dwayne Chambers

Win2Win
18th July 2008, 11:29
No idea the result of the court hearing as I type this, but he was banned for taking steroids. These physically change your body for LIFE, your body does not regress into a pre-steroid state when you stop taking them, and so a lifetime ban is justified.

mathare
18th July 2008, 11:35
I don't think he should run.

He was banned and has served his sentence, that much is true. But during the time he was doping his actions screwed over others, including those of his relay team-mates who have since returned the medals they won. And for that reason I don't think he should compete in the Olympics.

Street cry
18th July 2008, 11:51
No way should he run he is depriving someone who has played by the rules and dedicated their life to the sport from their rightful place. It is a disgrace as Keith says it is not like an instantanoeus improvement from the steroids that just goes away when you stop. He will have probably been taking decaduraboline or substanol which allows extreme muscle recovery and growth that does stay with you. He needs making an example of but i bet he gets to the olympics

MattR
18th July 2008, 11:52
Definitely not.

Just seen on Sporting Life that his appeal has failed :) Finally something of value has been backed by a court hearing in this country

silax
18th July 2008, 11:54
well his balls should have shrivelled up by now i'd strip him naked as an example of what happens

scoobydoo
18th July 2008, 11:59
No I dont think he should run either...he's a disgrace and he has no shame as well...he's got more front that Brighton Beach. I would rather have a British runner who was clean and didnt make it through the heats than him, though how well he'll do now he's not on the drugs is anyones guess?

scoobydoo
18th July 2008, 12:01
He lost the case anyway.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympics/athletics/7503792.stm

presto
18th July 2008, 12:22
i don't think he should be allowed to compete as that is what the rules state - he took the risk of cheating, now must face the consequences. and give a clean runner a chance.

JontyW
18th July 2008, 13:44
He has lost his case and may appeal but under no circumstances should he be allowed to run. He is a cheat - pure and simple.He is just annoyed he got found out.

yerotsluap
18th July 2008, 17:32
He should not be allowed to run but why does this by-law only cover the Olympics. Surely it should cove the World championships and European championships as well, then it may act as a deterrent to drug cheats

Win2Win
18th July 2008, 18:20
Because it is only the UK Olympic Committee's by-law.

bigcumba
18th July 2008, 18:49
well his balls should have shrivelled up by now i'd strip him naked as an example of what happens

:laugh you'd strip anyone naked just for the laugh Silax!

silax
18th July 2008, 23:16
of course, but this guy is willing to desrupt the whole team GB camp (lets face it no clean athelete wants him there) to line his own pockets. he is quite fine taken a clean atheletes place and not give a toss. he proberbly dosen't give a toss about the other athelets who had to return there olypic medals because of him just ban him for life and make him work in a factory running erands. well done to the judges for getting something right. no right minded person can want this guy representing there country

silax
18th July 2008, 23:19
and the 2 people who voted for him to compete please stand up and be shamed thought not

bigcumba
18th July 2008, 23:41
and the 2 people who voted for him to compete please stand up and be shamed thought not

Chambers and his dealer..... certainly wasn't me, I'm all for a life ban.

I know someone who runs at county level, and she reckons that the top flight athletics is rife with this sort of thing - and that if the powers that be were truly serious about ridding the sport of everyone who used performance enhancing substances there would be about 3 folk left to compete at the Olympics....

John
19th July 2008, 00:53
These physically change your body for LIFE, your body does not regress into a pre-steroid state when you stop taking them, and so a lifetime ban is justified.

Murder victims' bodies are changed for life too, but their associated criminals often don't get life imprisonment, and barely scratch the surface of serving a viable sentence. Odd how these little anomolies seem to creep up on us...

Anyway, subtle rant over.

In answer to the poll - NO - he should not run in the Olympics.

Win2Win
19th July 2008, 08:53
I wasn't aware people murdered to get an Olympic place! Is it a new sport? :doh

silax
19th July 2008, 11:28
the influence of alcohol strikes again :geek

barrelmaniac
19th July 2008, 21:23
I wasn't aware people murdered to get an Olympic place! Is it a new sport? :doh

maybe they murder because of roid rage.

Anyway i voted that he should not be allowed to run.

Where are those 2 people that voted yes? - I want them tarred and feathered.

Mattw07
21st July 2008, 23:07
i will admit i was one of the people who voted yes, would have said earlier but i wasnt in much of a sober state over the weekend :)

reason: i work as volunteer a few times a month we do alsorts of stuff but sometimes we go help ex drug addicts or homeless people with addictions, and we try and help them clean up there acts, i believe everyone deserves a second chance.

will add i no nothing about the chambers story apart from what ive read on this thread, havent really taken much notice of it on the news.

Matt.

Win2Win
22nd July 2008, 09:08
i believe everyone deserves a second chance.

:doh Hitler, Radovan Karadzic.......

MattR
22nd July 2008, 10:39
:doh Hitler, Radovan Karadzic, Vegy.......

I think the third one's a little harsh :D

bigcumba
22nd July 2008, 11:28
I think the third one's a little harsh :D

Not if you use a little vaseline :yikes:

vegyjones
22nd July 2008, 11:51
He got a two year ban, and rightly served it.

If his error of judgement hadn't affeted other people, I don't think he would have been made the sapegoat that he has!

Win2Win
22nd July 2008, 12:25
He's not a scapegoat, he knew the rules before taking drugs to change his psychical body for life, screwed other medal winner who were drug free, and may never get that chance again, and has not apologised.

vegyjones
22nd July 2008, 12:53
BUt he did apologise to the people in the relay team!

He made a mistake, and served the punishment that was the given sentence at the time. To be punished subsequently for the same offence is somewhat against the tradition of law in this country!

Win2Win
22nd July 2008, 13:06
He made a mistake, and served the punishment that was the given sentence at the time. To be punished subsequently for the same offence is somewhat against the tradition of law in this country!

A 'mistake' is something you do by accident, maybe once or twice.

At the end of the 2 year ban his body did not return to pre-steroid state! :splapme So it will continue to give him an advantage over others who are clean even now.

scoobydoo
22nd July 2008, 13:38
I agree people do things that in hindsight, they realise was a mistake. No problem there at all...though they mostly think it was a mistake because they get caught...however.... he shouldnt run for GB again imho...and definitely not at the Olympics. They could maybe send him round the schools and clubs and say this is what happens to you if you take drugs and cheat...British Althletics could give him a salary for doing it. He knew full well what he was doing...and he wouldve got far more sympathy if he had accepted the punishment instead of taking court action I believe.

Vegy, why is he being punished twice? As far as Im aware, he can run in anything now for GB apart from the Olympics and he knew that before he cheated didnt he...all the athletes know this when they first step on a track? They will not pick you IF you fail a drugs test...seems very fair to me.

John
22nd July 2008, 20:59
By the way:

Don't include the option of "NO" in the poll if you're going to slate everyone who chooses that option. Re-assess the question, perhaps.

davidsteel
25th July 2008, 13:14
Interesting thread i personally think the guys a chancer he's tried every other sport and failed so back to his roots..however, i do think he's being made a scapegoat remember the girl who missed 3 doping tests technically should she be going to the games and i do blieve there is some one onthe team who in the past has be tested positive..

The issue lays with when he was banned he didn't go throught the programme the Athletics board implement on banned atheltes because he quit for american football haha what a joke that turned out, so , for all we know he could have been still knocking back the gear and remember American Footballs notorious for that..because he was never monitored.

I do believe the power events sprinting etc is rife with drugs and will always be..

silax
25th July 2008, 13:57
maybe we should make the drugs legal and put everyone on a level playing field

davidsteel
25th July 2008, 16:28

Its certainly crossed my mind, although , i do think then there would be more deaths due to people taking it to far, upto them i hear you say but from a purist point of view its not really sport then , races would be won and lost depending on how good the drugs they took were.

Win2Win
25th July 2008, 17:25

But it wouldn't be. As they'd all be using different drugs, and individuals react differently to different drugs.

They've tried that with horses in the US, now they are starting to back down to zero tolerance again.

silax
25th July 2008, 18:37
well it works in motor racing best car generally wins. If Lewis was driving one of the lesser teams he wouldn't be where he is would he.
someone once said he was the tiger woods of motor racing which somebody else said there could be no comparrison unless all the drivers drove the same cars.

silax
25th July 2008, 18:37
best drugs win the 100meter sprint

davidsteel
25th July 2008, 20:32
best drugs win the 100meter sprint

generally true but it shouldn't be like that ....should be based on ability