PDA

View Full Version : Local Hero (probably contains spoilers)

John
16th November 2008, 00:25
Funny in places, and I like the old schoolness of it... but apart from that:

The biggest pile of rubbish I've ever seen - especially the ending. :ermmm

Does he get the girl? Did the old guy buy a new beach?

I was expecting an extra half hour added on to the end.

bigcumba
16th November 2008, 08:30
Going to totally disagree with you on that John.... Local Hero is a beautifully made little movie with wonderful performances from the main cast (esp Lancaster), and the supporting players - Fulton Mackay, Peter Capaldi, Rikki Fulton etc all superb. It's a gentle quirky comedy typical of the writer / director Bill Forsyth (Gregory's Girl / That Sinking Feeling / Comfort and Joy), and a great soundtrack by Mark Knopfler. And of course it's filmed against that stunning Highlands scenery. It's been a favourite of mine since I first saw it 20 odd years ago.... perhaps you need to have a Scottish mindset to appreciate it best?

John
16th November 2008, 13:11
Perhaps you do C, although it did remind me of many a visit to the Yorkshire Dales - used to go every year with my family - about 10 of us - haven't been for years and I really would like to go back there... maybe next year. So I appreciated the film for its scenery and like you say the comedy is quirky and funny.

But, what essentially makes a film good or bad is the storyline, and just when it was starting to evolve in this way, I couldn't understand why it suddenly ended. We're left with so many unknowns when the film ends and that put a bit of negativity on it for me.

My comment 'absolute rubbish' was too strong though, so apologies. :)