John
4th December 2008, 13:00
Looks like he has according to the BBC.

Win2Win
4th December 2008, 13:01
Strange, as with the Prem this year, 2 wins and you're in 5-6th! :doh

mathare
4th December 2008, 13:35
Still unconfirmed according to the Beeb and PA. I guess we'll find out by the 1pm press conference he was due to give

mathare
4th December 2008, 13:51
Now it has been confirmed.

I didn't realise his contract was up in the summer anyway. Wonder who will replace him. I'm sure Niall Quinn wants someone who will spend less than £70m on complete pap like Keane did

MattR
4th December 2008, 14:03
I was looking at the team on match of the day on saturday and thinking where did that 70 million go??? Also, who told him the beard looked good :D

mathare
4th December 2008, 14:10
I was looking at the team on match of the day on saturday and thinking where did that 70 million go???Craig Gordon was £9m. Kenwyne Jones was a fair bit too (£6m). They paid £5m for Chopra who is back at Cardiff on loan.

Also, who told him the beard looked good :DI think it's more of a case of no-one daring to tell him it looks stupid

Win2Win
4th December 2008, 14:18
At least he didn't waste £20Mill on Robbie Keane :splapme

MattR
4th December 2008, 14:42
You're not having Crouch back :wink

mathare
4th December 2008, 14:43
Sam Allardyce is the favourite for the job :laugh

Just want Sunderland fans want, a failed Newcastle manager :rolleyes:

MattR
4th December 2008, 14:45
Yet again the only job where you can continually work in it after failing. :doh

counterfeit
4th December 2008, 15:13
You're not having Crouch back :wink

No -- he's off to Spurs with Defoe and David James.

At least you'll still have David Nugent:splapme

MattR
4th December 2008, 15:18
I don't think he'll go actually. The way James has been playing lately I won't mind that much, been getting back to his calamity days this season!

Win2Win
4th December 2008, 15:33
You can swap Gomez for James :yikes:

MattR
4th December 2008, 15:38
The one I think will be snapped up is Glen Johnson. He's been playing superbly of late and has been our best player just about every game this past month, including setting up a good portion of our goals.

mathare
4th December 2008, 16:58
Latest betting: S Allardyce 11/8, A Curbishley 4/1, P Brown 7/1, S McClaren 7/1, A Boothroyd 9/1, D O'Leary 9/1, T Venables 10/1, G Strachan 10/1, G Houllier 11/1, P Reid 12/1, N Quinn 16/1.

I can't see them taking on Allardyce because of his recent Toon connection. I don't see why Phil Brown would go there even if he is a lifelong fan (apparently). Would McClaren leave Holland so soon? I can't see it. Is Aidy Boothroyd good enough? Then you get into the interesting candidates, in my opinion. O'Leary is a possible. Venables - never! Strachan - why? Houllier - another potential. Peter Reid? Peter Reid?!? And I can't see Quinn taking it on again as he struggled last time he tried it.

I really can't see it being one of the frontrunners from that lot

counterfeit
4th December 2008, 17:26
The man taking temp charge used to be big Sam's No.2 at Bolton!!!

MattR
4th December 2008, 17:32
Latest betting: S Allardyce 11/8, A Curbishley 4/1, P Brown 7/1, S McClaren 7/1, A Boothroyd 9/1, D O'Leary 9/1, T Venables 10/1, G Strachan 10/1, G Houllier 11/1, P Reid 12/1, N Quinn 16/1.

I can't see them taking on Allardyce because of his recent Toon connection. I don't see why Phil Brown would go there even if he is a lifelong fan (apparently). Would McClaren leave Holland so soon? I can't see it. Is Aidy Boothroyd good enough? Then you get into the interesting candidates, in my opinion. O'Leary is a possible. Venables - never! Strachan - why? Houllier - another potential. Peter Reid? Peter Reid?!? And I can't see Quinn taking it on again as he struggled last time he tried it.

I really can't see it being one of the frontrunners from that lot

Agree with all that Matt. Maybe O'Leary's a possibility if he is a mate of Quinn's from their Arsenal days, don't know if he is or not though? Aidy Hoofroyd? :laugh God help them.

mathare
4th December 2008, 17:55
Agree with all that Matt. Maybe O'Leary's a possibility if he is a mate of Quinn's from their Arsenal days, don't know if he is or not though?They were at Arsenal at the same time, that's a good point. Although Quinn was only a lad when O'Leary was there it seems. Not sure if they played much together for Ireland though.

I had overlooked the fact that Big Sam is an ex-Sunderland player too. But then it was only for about 6 months so I don't think he's exactly a legend at the club like Niall Quinn

Win2Win
4th December 2008, 19:09
I make a fortune by laying the first named Favs in these markets.

youngtag
4th December 2008, 20:04
You can get 100/1 on Quinn on Paddy Power, but that price is probably too small in itself. Agree about the front-runners, O'Leary a possible but he has a reputation of being a bit of a smug git so not sure if he rubbed Quinn up the wrong way at some point. I would also question the amount of power Quinn wields. I know some Yank just bought a load of shares, Quinn may be just a bit of a front man with people behind the scenes making the final decision.

I'd have a tentative stab at Chris Coleman @ 50/1 but if there was a price for "none of the above" I would back that!!

John
4th December 2008, 21:50
Ivano Bonetti.

I make a fortune by laying the first named Favs in these markets.

Are you trying to tell us to too? :D

Win2Win
4th December 2008, 22:12
Ivano Bonetti.

Are you trying to tell us to too? :D
:wink Put it this way, true odds are 10/1+

MattR
4th December 2008, 22:20
way James has been playing lately I won't mind that much, been getting back to his calamity days this season!

And right on cue :rolleyes:

counterfeit
5th December 2008, 08:38
:wink Put it this way, true odds are 10/1+

How do you work out a book on this sort of stuff.

On a personal level I think Big Sam would be an ideal fit. They remind me of Bolton 10 years ago - up then down, very hard working but average players. It just needs the two Kevins (Nolan and Davies) to turn them into a top 8 side.

Win2Win
5th December 2008, 10:45
You don't need to work out a book, the fact that less than 10% of the first named Fav actually get the job is enough information, especially as the Fav is usually less than 2/1. :thumbs

Most folk trade out when it appears the first named will not get the job, I never do.

The only problem with the market is it can lock up money for a while, and remember, Sod's Law states, "The first one you lay gets the job" :splapme

vegyjones
5th December 2008, 18:04
Although Quinny was at Arsenal for 7 years, he only spent about 4 seasons there in the first team, but that is enough time to become well aquainted.

They also spent roughly 7 years playing together regularly for Ireland, so there is a good chance they will be very pally.

You may have talked me into a sneaky bet on O'Leary Mat :)

vegyjones
5th December 2008, 18:09
Sky Bet have Avram Grant from 50's into 4-1 :ooo

barrelmaniac
5th December 2008, 18:11
going back to keanes beard- Dont you think it makes him look like Jerry Adams????