PDA

View Full Version : January Transfer Window

jonahjones
1st January 2009, 20:43
Well folks, silly season is here again!

Which position/s do you think your team needs to strengthen?

Who do you think you might realistically bring in, if anyone?

Who would you like to bring in?

What rumours are doing the rounds?

Apparently, owing to their financial position, West Ham are prepared to listen to offers for all of their players. :yikes:

jonahjones
1st January 2009, 21:21
Four weeks ago, we were crying out for a replacement for Lee Carsley as the holding-midfielder. This is one of the few things I would criticise Moyes for as he had known for a long while that Carsley was going.

However, as things stand without a fully-fit first-team striker and with Phil Neville admirably filling Carsley's role, an on-loan striker is imperative.

I also think we need to bring in a wide player and a holding-midfielder to allow Neville to return to right-back.

We have been linked with a move for Zenit St. Petersburg's Pavel Pogrebnyak, Fiorentina's Giampaolo Pazzini, Vagner Love of CSKA Moscow, Ebanks-Blake from Wolves and even David Nugent.

I find this list quite amusing as all would command high transfer fees and we have absolutely no money! Realistically, a renewed move to take Inter Milan's Nigerian striker Victor Obinna on loan looks likely. A summer deal fell through because a work permit was refused but he has since played in more International matches.

I would like to see Pogrebnyak come in but, unless a loan deal can be agreed, then there is little or no chance. Arshavin would be nice whilst we're at it. :)

I would be surprised if we signed any more than two players unless someone was sold.

mathare
1st January 2009, 21:25
I would be surprised if we signed any more than two players unless someone was sold.If players were sold who is most likely to go do you think? And who would you like to see the back of?

jonahjones
1st January 2009, 21:34
Amongst the latest rumours, both Jermain Defoe and Hermann Hreidarsson want to quit Pompey, Liverpool are looking to ditch Andrea Dossena, moneybags Manchester City are looking to recruit Wayne Bridge and Kolo Toure, with Arsenal Chairman Peter Hill-Wood stating that they have turned down a transfer request from the latter.

Arsenal have been strongly linked with a £12million bid for our very own Mikel Arteta and City with Joleon Lescott. I sincerely hope that we are able to resist these approaches as, despite an indifferent start to the season by both, they have been playing exceptionally well recently and are vital members of the team.

Having turned down Real Madrid (:yikes::yikes::yikes:), Jermaine Pennant now appears to be interesting Hull City. :)

jonahjones
1st January 2009, 21:39
If players were sold who is most likely to go do you think? And who would you like to see the back of?

Sorry Mat, I hadn't seen this before I posted again. As stated above, I think it will be Arteta and/or Lescott if anyone.

We already have a paper-thin squad as it is!

I am not normally one to want to see the back of anyone, especially with such a small squad, however, I think I could cope with losing Tony Hibbert. I have never been his biggest fan and it is a position (right-back) that we are relatively strong in. Phil Neville is first-choice, Lars Jacobsen, though yet to play through injury, is the current Danish right-back and, if necessary, Phil Jagielka and Joseph Yobo can also play there.

jonahjones
1st January 2009, 22:05
moneybags Manchester City are looking to recruit Wayne Bridge

The Bridge from the Bridge story gathers momentum.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_4730761,00.html

John
1st January 2009, 23:24
Great thread already Jonah. I absolutely love the January transfer window because it's really interesting to hear what everyone's predictions are, what the papers say, how the managers respond to what the press say, etc. I know that typically happens for most of the season generally, but a whole month of transfers left, right and centre is so exciting.

What caught my attention was Harry Redknapp's alleged interests in Defoe, Crouch and Johnson... until I watched his reaction in a BBC video! Having said that though, Spurs have been after replacement strikers for a long time so perhaps he's slightly indenial; it wouldn't surprise me.

I don't think Everton can afford to lose Arteta, but if Wenger or somebody else is interested, I reckon he'll go. He's been an Everton player for quite some time now hasn't he? Great player too in my book. They'll definitely need a replacement attacking midfielder if he does go though - surely?

Will Owen go back to Liverpool? I doubt it. Newcastle need to keep hold of him too much in my opinion. Will Ronaldo go to Arsenal? :laugh

John
1st January 2009, 23:30
Forgot to add - the Bellamy offer from Spurs was already turned down wasn't it. Defoe wants to leave Portsmouth... can you see him returning to Spurs?

I'm really looking forward to watching Aston Villa make a move... they definitely need another striker with Carew out to support Agbonlahor, and they have a decent quality (British!) team to build with... and I quite like Aston Villa at the moment, got a bit of a soft spot for them. Not sure who O'Neill is interested in... their defence looks fine in my opinion - perhaps they could do with another Gareth Barry to hold the team together though... a holding central midfielder.

jonahjones
1st January 2009, 23:53
Great thread already Jonah. I absolutely love the January transfer window because it's really interesting to hear what everyone's predictions are, what the papers say, how the managers respond to what the press say, etc. I know that typically happens for most of the season generally, but a whole month of transfers left, right and centre is so exciting.

What caught my attention was Harry Redknapp's alleged interests in Defoe, Crouch and Johnson... until I watched his reaction in a BBC video! Having said that though, Spurs have been after replacement strikers for a long time so perhaps he's slightly indenial; it wouldn't surprise me.

I don't think Everton can afford to lose Arteta, but if Wenger or somebody else is interested, I reckon he'll go. He's been an Everton player for quite some time now hasn't he? Great player too in my book. They'll definitely need a replacement attacking midfielder if he does go though - surely?

Will Owen go back to Liverpool? I doubt it. Newcastle need to keep hold of him too much in my opinion. Will Ronaldo go to Arsenal? :laugh

Thanks John.

I always like to see/hear what everyone's predictions are and then re-visit them at the end of the window.

I agree with what you are saying about the window and the excitement. Whilst the speculation and rumours are present throughout the season, this is the time during which such things are acted upon and is the time when actions speak louder than words. The tabloids go into meltdown! :)

I am hearing that Arsenal appear to have agreed a fee of £18million with Zenit for Arshavin and so, hopefully, that will throw them off Arteta's scent.

He has been brilliant of late in his new central role.

Owen to Inter Milan was what the back of one tabloid was telling us today. I think Newcastle should try and cash-in on him now or risk losing him for nothing, an occurrence to which he is no stranger having left Liverpool the same way.

jonahjones
2nd January 2009, 00:02
Forgot to add - the Bellamy offer from Spurs was already turned down wasn't it. Defoe wants to leave Portsmouth... can you see him returning to Spurs?

I'm really looking forward to watching Aston Villa make a move... they definitely need another striker with Carew out to support Agbonlahor, and they have a decent quality (British!) team to build with... and I quite like Aston Villa at the moment, got a bit of a soft spot for them. Not sure who O'Neill is interested in... their defence looks fine in my opinion - perhaps they could do with another Gareth Barry to hold the team together though... a holding central midfielder.

I can see Defoe going back to Spurs. Harry has already managed him at two different clubs. Can't see them letting Crouch go if they sell Defoe. Glen Johnson to Liverpool has also been mooted which I think would be very harsh on Arbeloa.

I can also see Villa being interested in Defoe, not as a temporary replacement for Carew, but to add extra depth and quality to the squad. I think Villa have a very good midfield with Barry, Sidwell and Reo-Coker able to perform the holding role with Milner, Petrov and Young adding the flair.

jonahjones
2nd January 2009, 00:09
Will Ronaldo go to Arsenal? :laugh

I think he's quite happy in his native Brazil now John. :)

http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/clubfootball/news/newsid=980200.html

John
2nd January 2009, 00:23
:laugh You nearly had me fooled there Jonah, until I looked across at the photograph!

vegyjones
2nd January 2009, 00:31
We're hoping to sign

A Player

Hopefully with better movement speed and agility than a Tree

Unlike much of our current squad! :(

John
2nd January 2009, 00:36
Agree with what you're saying about Villa's midfield actually - I forgot about half of them! Petrov is out with injury though isn't he? I'd really love to see O'Neill sign a striker... whether it will be Owen or Defoe, or somebody else, we'll find out shortly enough, but I agree with you - they need some extra depth up front... maybe even someone who can also play as an attacking midfielder/striker in behind the front two. Or the front one, as it currently stands. The more versatile the better!

Defoe back to Spurs sounds even more and more likely every time I think about it, since you pointed out Harry's managed him twice already.

I heard Ashavin was linked with a move to Liverpool! But if he's agreed terms with Arsenal then I guess Rafa'll be looking for an alternative. And like you say, signing Glen Johnson could upset Arbeloa. He's a decent player is Arbeloa, works bloody hard... nearly as hardworking as Kuyt (who everyone seems to hate...) but I won't get into that! I wonder if he's looking at Johnson as more of a replacement for Dossedna than for Arbeloa? A slight switch in position in mind for Johnson by Rafa... just maybe?

On the Owen front, if Newcastle are wise enough to let him go now (I forgot his contract was nearly up when I posted initially :wink), I heard he didn't want to move to Inter because he didn't want to play abroad again? Based on things not working out for him at Real Madrid, I think that was. So it'll be interesting to see what happens... floodgates are open at Villa Park, Mr Owen, if you're listening!

On a bit of a quieter front, Chelsea say they need a striker. I don't really think they do with Drogba now fitting up again to either replace/pair Anelka. I really hope Scolari doesn't drop Anelka though... he can't possibly if, after a few pairings with Drogba, they start banging in goals again.

Could you let me know which sites you're reading Jonah, for keeping up to date with the transfer talks? At the moment I'm reading Sky Sports and the BBC, but I know there's better out there. Thanks mate. :thumbs

piggy
2nd January 2009, 18:18
bridge joins man city for £12m and it looks like chelsea are lining up yuri zhirkov from cska moscow as e replacement the 25 yo russian has played at left back so could cover for cole but is better known as an attacking winger with great ball skills.

John
2nd January 2009, 19:00
12 million for Bridge? Unbelievable.

scoobydoo
2nd January 2009, 19:40

A 'bridge' too far I think. Oh christ I am catching something from Jonah :ooo :D

£15 million for Defoe...:laugh its a joke. A very good time to be an above average striker eh.

jonahjones
2nd January 2009, 21:21
Petrov is out with injury though isn't he?

He's actually figured in twenty five games in all competitions this season John. You may have you Petrovs confused - Martin Petrov from Manchester City is currently injured.

but I agree with you - they need some extra depth up front...

The alternative is to play Marlon Harewood. :yikes:

maybe even someone who can also play as an attacking midfielder/striker in behind the front two. Or the front one, as it currently stands. The more versatile the better!

I'm sure they'd love Timmy Cahill. :)

On the Owen front, if Newcastle are wise enough to let him go now (I forgot his contract was nearly up when I posted initially ), I heard he didn't want to move to Inter because he didn't want to play abroad again?

I would suggest you are right John. I believe he favours a move to a club as close to the North West of England as possible, if not in the North West.

Could you let me know which sites you're reading Jonah, for keeping up to date with the transfer talks? At the moment I'm reading Sky Sports and the BBC, but I know there's better out there. Thanks mate.

I use the same as you John and also a site called newsnow.co.uk which collects snippets from all around the world.

I am lucky because, for all things Everton, I have a contact who provides me with accurate information before it is released to the masses and I also have a friend who is a News Editor for Sky Sports News. :)

Win2Win
2nd January 2009, 21:23
A 'bridge' too far I think. Oh christ I am catching something from Jonah :ooo :D

£15 million for Defoe...:laugh its a joke. A very good time to be an above average striker eh.
Better value than "One A Month" Keane :rolleyes:

jonahjones
2nd January 2009, 21:25
Oh christ I am catching something from Jonah :ooo :D

They'll be painting a red cross on your front-door any second. :)

jonahjones
2nd January 2009, 21:29
Better value than "One A Month" Keane :rolleyes:

I think Rafa dropped him on Sunday because he blames him for his recent hospitalisation.

I'm pretty sure that I heard an interview in which he cited "keaney stones" as the cause. :D

Win2Win
2nd January 2009, 21:32
I'm pretty sure that I heard an interview in which he cited "keaney stones" as the cause. :D
::swear :rolleyes:

jonahjones
2nd January 2009, 21:34
::swear :rolleyes:

I think it must have been the Spanish accent Keith. :)

John
3rd January 2009, 02:13
Hi Jonah,

Thanks for your reply to the above... I'm currently experiencing a bit of drunkenness alongside screwing up my Mac, so I'm trying to repair that, and will reply to your good self over the weekend provided I can get the damn thing fixed.

Yours drunkenly,

John

Win2Win
3rd January 2009, 10:24
.....screwing up my Mac....
I use my wife for that type of thing....get yourself a girl John! :wink

jonahjones
3rd January 2009, 11:30
Middlesbrough's Gary O'Neill is set to request a transfer as he is anxious to join former club Portsmouth, a club that a lot of others appear anxious to leave!

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11680_4737965,00.html

mathare
3rd January 2009, 13:18
No-one's mentioned the two Serbs that Man Utd have signed. One goes into the first-team squad while the other remains on loan at Partizan Belgrade (I think). And with that deal done (for around £16m apparently) Fergie has declared the transfer window shut for Man Utd.

And we've signed a new left-back on loan ahead of this afternoon's clash with Barnet. A very well-thought of West Hammer called Joe Widdowson :)

scoobydoo
3rd January 2009, 15:03
No-one's mentioned the two Serbs that Man Utd have signed. One goes into the first-team squad while the other remains on loan at Partizan Belgrade (I think). And with that deal done (for around £16m apparently) Fergie has declared the transfer window shut for Man Utd.

And we've signed a new left-back on loan ahead of this afternoon's clash with Barnet. A very well-thought of West Hammer called Joe Widdowson :)

Yeah, dont know anything about these 2 at all?

Lincoln have signed Geoff Horsfield on a deal until the end of the season.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/l/lincoln_city/7807833.stm

jonahjones
4th January 2009, 12:05
Middlesbrough describe the latest bid from Spurs for Stewart Downing, believed to be around £6million, as "derisory."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_4743345,00.html

Charles N'Zogbia can't get out of Toon quick enough. He has revealed he would welcome a move to Arsenal - wouldn't we all!

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11678_4743398,00.html

Meanwhile, Newcastle haven't Given up hope of 'keeping Shay. :)

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11678_4733764,00.html

John
4th January 2009, 16:35
Middlesbrough describe the latest bid from Spurs for Stewart Downing, believed to be around £6million, as "derisory."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_4743345,00.html

Middlesbrough are massively overreacting in my opinion, with a comment like "The offer is a joke, who on earth do Spurs think they are?"

Stewart Downing isn't a bad player, £6m may be slightly on the cheap side, but he's no Wayne Bridge.

yerotsluap
4th January 2009, 18:38
Downing is apparently going to hand in a transfer request first thing tomorrow morning.

vegyjones
4th January 2009, 22:48
Stewart Downing isn't a bad player, £6m may be slightly on the cheap side, but he's no Wayne Bridge.

A John MacEnroe might say

YOU CAN'T BE SERIOUS :laugh :laugh :laugh

John
5th January 2009, 13:12

£90,000 a week?

My head is in pain.

:splapme

scoobydoo
5th January 2009, 13:38
£90,000 a week?

My head is in pain.

:splapme

:laugh Its unreal isnt it. I wonder what the players of 20 years ago are thinking now, probably feel pretty sick and as if they have missed the boat somewhat!

vegyjones
5th January 2009, 13:40
It makes you wonder, thinking about players who narrowly missed out on these mega wages and fees, and what they might be worth in today's market.

A Gazza in his prime... ouch!

scoobydoo
5th January 2009, 13:44
It makes you wonder, thinking about players who narrowly missed out on these mega wages and fees, and what they might be worth in today's market.

A Gazza in his prime... ouch!

Absolutely. There is no doubt average players are making a small fortune now. I mean, look at Defoe. If its true that all these teams are after him for fees of around £15 to £20 million...I just dont rate him very highly but then again you can only be as good as to what is around you eh?

John
5th January 2009, 13:53
Agreed! Makes me wonder what Robinho and Stephen Ireland are on. I would say Robinho probably £120k and Ireland not far behind. Then there's that new striker they signed, is it Jo? I can't see anyone playing for City now to ever be as good as George Kinkladze... and if he played there now he'd be making a mint.

Gazza in his prime would be making an absolute fortune, as would players like Peter Beardsley. Think what Shearer and Eric Cantona would be on... it's scary to think about.

Pompey were a decent side last season, they looked a challenge to face. This season some of the magic seems to have gone, if you can call it magic! They've lost spark, especially at home. I agree Rick, Defoe is pretty average, and I don't rate him all that highly either. I never used to rate Crouch much but he seems to have come on a bit. If Defoe returns to Spurs, I can't exactly see him setting the world alight... but then would anybody joining Spurs do that at the moment?

scoobydoo
5th January 2009, 15:05
Pompey were a decent side last season, they looked a challenge to face. This season some of the magic seems to have gone, if you can call it magic! They've lost spark, especially at home. I agree Rick, Defoe is pretty average, and I don't rate him all that highly either. I never used to rate Crouch much but he seems to have come on a bit. If Defoe returns to Spurs, I can't exactly see him setting the world alight... but then would anybody joining Spurs do that at the moment?

The thing I dont get is Defoe wasnt good enough for Spurs a year ago...but now he is? :doh Well that means either Defoe is a better player now or Spurs are much worse. I think we know the answer to that one eh.:D

I said when Adams got Pompey job that I feared for him, others on here disagreed with me. (How very dare they?:D) I still would be surprised if he is still there come the summer. Oh :censored: the summer...roll on the summer. :ermmm

John
5th January 2009, 16:58
I said when Adams got Pompey job that I feared for him, others on here disagreed with me. (How very dare they?:D) I still would be surprised if he is still there come the summer. Oh :censored: the summer...roll on the summer. :ermmm

How come you think that mate - because Pompey have turned rubbish...? He isn't the best of managers in my opinion. Get him back defending for Arsenal - he was world class at that.

vegyjones
5th January 2009, 17:30
His previous reign said it all. he doesn't have what it takes to be a number one. and even if he does, he won't find a team in the top 4 divisions willing to give him time to develop.

scoobydoo
5th January 2009, 18:04
How come you think that mate - because Pompey have turned rubbish...? He isn't the best of managers in my opinion. Get him back defending for Arsenal - he was world class at that.

His previous reign said it all. he doesn't have what it takes to be a number one. and even if he does, he won't find a team in the top 4 divisions willing to give him time to develop.

I didnt think he was up to it before he got Pompey job and even less so now. I hope he does well cos he seems a nice chap but it just isnt going to work imho. I guess every manager gets the boot in the end, you just have to wait long enough to see it.

Adams was a quality defender although I do recall his early days when he got the donkey chants. I remember that 1988 match in Euros vs Holland when he didnt look so good, mind you it was Van Basten in his pomp and he was very young so little harsh!:) I just hope he turns it around, cant stand seeing a miserable Matt on here!! :D

scoobydoo
6th January 2009, 16:21
Apparently, this is in the Mirror today. If they want, Ill just burn some of their money for them if they dont want it.:laugh

Man City have also offered midfielder Scott Parker £100,000 a week to quit West Ham and join them. (Mirror)

vegyjones
6th January 2009, 16:40
Scott Parker... not had his best form since his McDonald days...

Definitely wouldn't make my 11 best players in the world if I had unlimited funds! :doh

mathare
6th January 2009, 16:41
not had his best form since his McDonald days...Same as Lee Bowyer then :peeky

jonahjones
6th January 2009, 23:55
Unsurprisingly, it looks like Defoe is going back to the Lane.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11675_4757019,00.html

According to Zenit St. Petersburg, Arsenal are in advanced talks to bring Arshavin to The Emirates.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_4756237,00.html

The rumour-mill today sees Yaya Toure linked with a move from Barca to Man City, El-Hadji Diouf to either Blackburn or Wigan, Matthew Upson to Villa, Samuel Eto'o to Man City or Inter Milan, Denilson to Bolton, Matthew Etherington to Stoke and............

.......following his apparent refusal to sign for Real Madrid, Jermaine Pennant to AC Milan - nurse!!! :yikes:

jonahjones
8th January 2009, 01:42
Amongst the rumours doing the rounds today, Tony Adams is reportedly interested in Joey Barton and also Julien Faubert of West Ham, Bolton are set to sign Calum Davenport from West Ham, Kris Boyd and Lee Bowyer will sign for Birmingham from Rangers and West Ham respectively, Arsenal's Emmanuel Eboue is apparently attracting interest from Inter Milan, Stoke are said to be interested in bringing in Henri Camara from Wigan or Marlon Harewood from Villa and Wigan's Luke Ashworth is apparently poised to join Leyton Orient.

West Ham could end January with only three players. :)

vegyjones
8th January 2009, 10:55
Charlie Daniels has officially signed for Orient after being released on a free by Tottenham! The big move of the window, I'm sure you'll all agree.

MattR
11th January 2009, 23:05
I don't know, you go away for three weeks or so and Pompey get a grand total of no points, scoring 2 and conceding 10 and get a 0-0 home cup draw with Bristol City. Go from 8th in the table to 14th and three points of the relegation places. Diarra and Defoe gone and the likes of Edu and Gary O'Neill linked. Great. I'm off again. :laugh

scoobydoo
12th January 2009, 00:08
I don't know, you go away for three weeks or so and Pompey get a grand total of no points, scoring 2 and conceding 10 and get a 0-0 home cup draw with Bristol City. Go from 8th in the table to 14th and three points of the relegation places. Diarra and Defoe gone and the likes of Edu and Gary O'Neill linked. Great. I'm off again. :laugh

welcome back Matt. :) Dont worry, you have Spurs next week...must be something there for you surely? :laugh

lowe1
12th January 2009, 07:53
for all you leeds fans

http://leedsunited.ytmnd.com/

(sorry sam :D )

jonahjones
13th January 2009, 08:31
James Beattie makes a potentially brief return to the Premier League with Stoke.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_4785776,00.html?20090112222106

Whilst the early Tuesday morning rumour mill has City representatives apparently flying to Milan to convince Kaka that it is a good idea to leave the San Siro for Eastlands.

jonahjones
23rd January 2009, 22:17
Emile Heskey leaves Wigan to join Aston Villa.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_4838336,00.html

scoobydoo
26th January 2009, 13:28
Pele off to Pompey...bet that has cheered you up Matt? :)

MattR
26th January 2009, 15:33
Yeah! Shame it's a 21yr old I've never heard of though :laugh Been at Inter Milan and Porto so must have something although clearly hasn't made a breakthrough at either.

jonahjones
2nd February 2009, 13:44
Robbie Keane set for medical at Spurs according to Sky Sports.

mathare
2nd February 2009, 13:54
Angelos Basinas signs for Pompey. Decent signing that

MattR
2nd February 2009, 14:41
Yeah he's a good player. 33 though, but better than what we have in central midfield now that's for sure.

jonahjones
2nd February 2009, 15:48
Everton capture Brazilian international Jo from Manchester City on loan until the end of the season.

http://evertonfc.com/news/archive/blues-sign-jo.html

vegyjones
2nd February 2009, 15:51
Orient have extended Dean Morgan's loan until the end of the season...

scoobydoo
2nd February 2009, 18:35
1731: Transfer snap: Robbie Keane has rejoined Tottenham from Liverpool. That is official.

John
2nd February 2009, 18:47
1731: Transfer snap: Robbie Keane has rejoined Tottenham from Liverpool. That is official.

Good on ya Harry! Good buy, just what Spurs need to be honest. I'm surprised Everton haven't been interested though... although Liverpool probably wouldn't sell him to a rival club.

MattR
2nd February 2009, 19:22
Who, if I remember correctly, couldn't play with Jermaine Defoe previously. So presumably Keane and Pavyluchenko will start and when Defoe gets fit again?? Good to see Harry relieving another chairman of his money! :laugh

scoobydoo
2nd February 2009, 19:36
Who, if I remember correctly, couldn't play with Jermaine Defoe previously. So presumably Keane and Pavyluchenko will start and when Defoe gets fit again??

We'll soon find out eh..:) Looking at paper headlines today and some say Adams has 3 games to save himself...you reckon it's rubbish Matt?

mathare
2nd February 2009, 20:24
What's the total profit/loss Spurs made on selling and then buying back Chimbonda, Defoe and Keane? I think they made around £5m on Keane, lost £7.5m or so on Defoe but what about Chimbonda? Anyone know?

And why all the Greeks at Pompey all of a sudden?

scoobydoo
2nd February 2009, 20:35
What's the total profit/loss Spurs made on selling and then buying back Chimbonda, Defoe and Keane? I think they made around £5m on Keane, lost £7.5m or so on Defoe but what about Chimbonda? Anyone know?

I've been looking around and saw something that said he was sold by Spurs for £4.5m and bought back for £3m but I wouldn't bank on that as the fee when sold to Mackems was undisclosed. These undisclosed fees are :censored:...why do they do them nowadays?

mathare
2nd February 2009, 20:37
These undisclosed fees are :censored:...why do they do them nowadays?To avoid telling fans who struggle to get together their ticket money each week that they have just splurged several millions on a player the club didn't really need :wink

scoobydoo
2nd February 2009, 20:39
To avoid telling fans who struggle to get together their ticket money each week that they have just splurged several millions on a player the club didn't really need :wink

Mmmm that's fair.

This is where it was from but I'm not sure he'd swear he knows the fees for sure!

Chimbonda Re-Signs With Tottenham
January 26, 2009 | Written by : Jim Haines
Right back Pascal Chimbonda has re-signed for Tottenham Hotspur from Sunderland.

The 29 year old, who left Spurs in the summer on a £4.5million deal, returns for a fee believed to be around £3million.

Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp commented:

“The deal should have been done in the morning but it’s over-run the deadline for him to play against Stoke. It was done 15 minutes too late which was disappointing. Otherwise he would have been available.

“He plays with energy and gets forward as an attacking full-back. He was excellent for Sunderland on Saturday at centre-back so he can play right across the back four.”

http://www.premiershiptoday.co.uk/2009/01/26/chimbonda-re-signs-with-tottenham/

MattR
2nd February 2009, 21:13
We'll soon find out eh..:) Looking at paper headlines today and some say Adams has 3 games to save himself...you reckon it's rubbish Matt?

Well Peter Storrie is saying not, but a vote of confidence and all that!

If it is the case I'm surprised they would allow him to sign more players now. Then again the papers said there was going to be a board meeting after saturday's game and that was apparently not true either.

I only saw the Fulham game on match of the day but the villa game last week certainly didn't suggest the players weren't playing for him.

I wouldn't think much money changed hands at all the way players are paid for in installments these days. I seriously doubt we'd finished paying Spurs for Defoe or Liverpool paying Spurs for Keane.

Not sure why all the Greeks, l hope they aren't bearing gifts! They can't be any worse than the other two we had. Chalkias The Clown, the 6ft 6 comedy goalkeeper who couldn't deal with crosses and Skopelitis who would have struggled to get in a sunday league team and now playing for Anorthosis in Cyprus.

As you said earlier Mat, Basinas is a quality player, just hope he still has the legs for the premier at 33. Also saw an email on the sporting life transfer centre from a Bochum supporter who really rated Gekas. We shall see!!

John
2nd February 2009, 21:21
...Skopelitis who would have struggled to get in a sunday league team and now playing for Anorthosis in Cyprus.

I'm vaccinated against that thanks Matt, so I should be alright. :) Plus I don't live in Cyprus! :D

mathare
2nd February 2009, 21:22
I seriously doubt we'd finished paying Spurs for Defoe or Liverpool paying Spurs for Keane. Not sure about Defoe but Liverpool certainly hadn't paid off the fee for Keane according to Sporting Life.

As you said earlier Mat, Basinas is a quality player, just hope he still has the legs for the premier at 33. Also saw an email on the sporting life transfer centre from a Bochum supporter who really rated Gekas. We shall see!!How old was Prosinecki when you had him? Defensive midfielders need less in the tank (as it were) than other positions so you could get a couple of years out of Basinas and he could do a job. It's not the best signing in the world but certainly bolsters a midfield torn apart by the loss of Diarra etc.

Win2Win
2nd February 2009, 21:38
Defoe is on the same transfer deal as Keane.....probably a way of paying less tax.

MattR
3rd February 2009, 00:57
Not sure about Defoe but Liverpool certainly hadn't paid off the fee for Keane according to Sporting Life.

How old was Prosinecki when you had him? Defensive midfielders need less in the tank (as it were) than other positions so you could get a couple of years out of Basinas and he could do a job. It's not the best signing in the world but certainly bolsters a midfield torn apart by the loss of Diarra etc.

Prosinecki was 32 if I recall correctly. He is still the best player I have ever seen live. He could pick passes out that you couldn't even see were on from the crowd. I'd have paid to watch him kick a ball about in the garden. Hard to imagine a young Crouch was in that side too! Prosinecki made just about all his goals that season. And to think he was coming to the end of his career then.

Just brought back some great memories with this!

YouTube - Robert Prosinecki in Portsmouth (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=uODzQxiJaLY&feature=related)

And when he was in his prime.....

YouTube - Robert Prosinecki (Keep, Dribble) (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=RPYYPYcYxvU)

The bit at about 3:18-3.22 is classic

I wonder how much he'd be valued at if he was 20 now??

John
3rd February 2009, 01:28
Robert Prosinecki. Wasn't that the guy who played for Man U? Or am I thinking of someone else? No that was Karel Poborsky wasn't it. But did he play for Man U anyway?

Oh I'm confused.

John
3rd February 2009, 01:28
Robert Prosinecki. Wasn't that the guy who played for Man U? Or am I thinking of someone else? No that was Karel Poborsky wasn't it. But did he play for Man U anyway?

Oh I'm confused.

MattR
3rd February 2009, 02:15
He played for Red Star Belgrade, Dinamo Zagreb, Real Madrid, Barcelona and bizarrely Portsmouth (as he knew the then chairman!) He played for us in what is now the Championship and quite frankly took the :pss he was that good.:D

wikipedia ( ok to link?? please remove if not)
Robert Prosinecki - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Prosine%C4%8Dki)

John
3rd February 2009, 11:26
Aha! Cheers for the info... it's easy to get your Prosineckis and Poborskys confused... :D

Yeah - fine to link to Wikipedia.

mathare
3rd February 2009, 12:00
I saw Prosinecki play against us at Fratton Park. He was amazing! He strolled around the pitch as he didn't need to run. As Matt says he picked out some incredible passes. And at that time Pompey's corner routine was Prosinecki pinging it in, right on to Crouch's head at the far post. There was little most defences could do against it. We got thumped - 4-0 or 4-1 or something if I remember rightly. It was a beautiful day down there too.

mathare
3rd February 2009, 12:02
We got thumped - 4-0 or 4-1 or something if I remember rightly.Turns out it was 4-2 with Burchill and Crouch getting two each. It was a bank holiday Monday too which makes the good weather all the more amazing!

jonahjones
3rd February 2009, 13:53
The one that got away?

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_4890974,00.html

jonahjones
3rd February 2009, 13:54
And another:-

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11881_4890618,00.html

mathare
3rd February 2009, 14:08
What happened to players signing pre-contract agreements? Has that been stopped now?

Y'know, the sort of deals whereby a player out of contract in the summer could agree to join another club at the end of his current deal and then play like poo as his mind was elsewhere

John
3rd February 2009, 18:52
Yeah I remember that well Mat, they played outstandingly and we didn't...... :(

MattR
3rd February 2009, 19:47
Turns out it was 4-2 with Burchill and Crouch getting two each. It was a bank holiday Monday too which makes the good weather all the more amazing!

Ah I remember that game Mat. I was there too. Burchill and Crouch hit it off straight away only for Burchill to do his cruciate ligament about 5 games into the season and that was him done for the season and pretty much his career really as he went down the leagues and back to Scotland.

To think we had players like Kevin Harper, Jamie Vincent, Courtney Pitt and Jason Crowe in that side. What must Prosinecki have thought about playing with that lot? :laugh