PDA

View Full Version : Post Office queues in pubs!

TheOldhamWhisper
7th April 2009, 18:49
No it isn't a late April Fool's gag - it's Oldham's answer to the Binge Drinking culture!

The powers that be have decided that any pub/club offering cheap drinks, 2-4-1 drinks, etc. will be required to have a Post Office style queueing system and must employ extra door staff to ensure that order is kept.

This is in a town where there are pubs/clubs which run 'All you can drink' deals! Most of the trouble actually starts when drinkers are refused alcohol in establishments that are trying to stick to the law which prohibits selling alcohol to someone who is obviously drunk. :ermmm

And this is where my council tax money goes??? ;fire

Win2Win
7th April 2009, 19:27
I only drink coffee, so problem sorted. :)

TheOldhamWhisper
7th April 2009, 19:32
I only drink coffee, so problem sorted. :)

They'll happily pour some lukewarm water onto a Nescafe Cappuccino sachet for you and charge you £1.50 for it :omg:

samantha1303
8th April 2009, 09:42
Where on earth do they get these ideas from?

John
11th April 2009, 16:31
So "Cashier number 7, please" becomes "Bartender number 19, please" ?

The powers that be... please can you elaborate? :)

lowe1
11th April 2009, 16:39
well it is oldham after all

one of the worst places in uk IMO

and dont get me started on their football fans ::swear

TheOldhamWhisper
11th April 2009, 16:51
The powers that be... please can you elaborate? :)

It's the council's Trading Standards department.

A typical Saturday night for most 'revellers' involves binge drinking at home before heading into town where they would normally buy as many drinks at one time as they could carry (or as many as the pubs' promotions allow - usually 2 for 1). The 'queueing' system is just inviting problems as people try to jump the queues by any means possible; more potential problems with people being refused service (for whatever reason) after standing in line for however long.

(...and Lowe1 - It's not that bad in daylight hours!! :thumbs)

lowe1
11th April 2009, 16:57
hahaha sorry nothing personal OW i've only been on saturdays for the football and have always said im not going next season but that never happens

John
11th April 2009, 17:20
Totally bizarre if you ask me then... and extremely bad - what happened to trying to get people to cut down on drinking? Surely as a result of this, there will be more drink associated violence, drink driving and general "booze intoxicated aggression"?

I have never understood the whole 'drink as much as you can' / 'binge drinking' malarky... and I don't think I ever will! If I have one drink, I don't always want to have another one straight away afterwards - whether that be in a pub/bar, at home, at a barbeque... anywhere, really. My body doesn't say to me "you've finished your drink, go and have another" - if anything I want to have a bit of a pause, I can't just have drinks after drinks in quick succession (although sometimes with tea I can get a bit like that - particularly at work in winter). But regardless of what I'm drinking - water, orange juice, tea, hot chocolate, alcohol... I only actually want a limited amount... one drink is usually enough over an hour/an hour and a half.

Anyway, I'm gonna get going now - hope you have a good Easter, Oldham, and try not to worry about this too much! :)

bigcumba
11th April 2009, 17:38
I found the perfect solution to the 'drink till you fall over' mentality.... dress up as a Weeble. :D
(that'll probably only be relevant to anyone over the age of around 35!)

mathare
11th April 2009, 17:46
I found the perfect solution to the 'drink till you fall over' mentality.... dress up as a Weeble. :D
(that'll probably only be relevant to anyone over the age of around 35!):laugh

(I'm 32...)

Street cry
11th April 2009, 18:03
you might wobble big c but you'll never fall down :thumbs