PDA

View Full Version : Change in law required...

TheOldhamWhisper
12th January 2010, 11:15
Most bus services are now running normally in Greater Manchester with one noteable exception - the one that I use! I still have to walk a mile to and from the bus stop (normally this should be 50 yards!).

And the reason for this closure? Deep snow? Treacherous black ice? No - inconsiderate ::swear motorists who, because they can't be bothered to get a shovel out and clear their driveways and outside their garages, think that it is fine to double-park along a main bus route!

The ones who have at least made the effort to clear their driveways of snow are no better - guess where they have put the snow...yes, they've piled it up on the pavement! So pedestrians already struggling to walk on the untreated footpaths have to negotiate 3 foot piles of snow every 10 yards or so.

Driving without due consideration for other road users is an offence that carries point on the license - maybe this should read 'Owning a vehicle without due consideration'...

;fire

tovarich
12th January 2010, 12:07
I agree with what you say, TOW, to some extent, but I have always believed, and it was stated in this weeks Mail on Sunday, that if I clear snow from the front of my house and someone slips and breaks a leg then I could be sued, whereas, if I don't clear the snow away then the council could be sued.

Is the law an ass?

Win2Win
12th January 2010, 12:54
I agree with what you say, TOW, to some extent, but I have always believed, and it was stated in this weeks Mail on Sunday, that if I clear snow from the front of my house and someone slips and breaks a leg then I could be sued, whereas, if I don't clear the snow away then the council could be sued.

Is the law an ass?
That's not the case though, no one can sue for snow, only if people have fell in the same place and you have been warned about it, but according to a lawyer friend of mine no one has sued under the available law ever, so never been a test case, and he reckons a judge would throw it out anyway.

TheOldhamWhisper
12th January 2010, 13:14
They had this debate on BBC news (the proper one that is on all day) and concluded pretty much the same - the chances of you being sued for clearing your own driveway is theoretically possible but it is very unlikely that the courts would award because there is virtually no chance of proving negligence. The only exception would be if you were daft enough to try and wash the snow away with water which then froze.

mick56
12th January 2010, 13:19
[QUOTE=TheOldhamWhisper;520916

Driving without due consideration for other road users is an offence that carries point on the license - maybe this should read 'Owning a vehicle without due consideration'...

;fire[/QUOTE]

The two which really wind me up are when some drivers dont stop at zebra crossing,when people are waiting to cross.

The other one is when you are observing the speed limit in a built up area, and drivers aggressivley tail gate you as if you are the one at fault.

Its out of charecter for me but i did once stop and do a bit of road raging,for goodness sakes there where children coming out of school walking line abreast on the pavements both sides of a narrow road,apparently this was of no concern to the knob head behind me.

tovarich
12th January 2010, 20:24
That's not the case though, no one can sue for snow, only if people have fell in the same place and you have been warned about it, but according to a lawyer friend of mine no one has sued under the available law ever, so never been a test case, and he reckons a judge would throw it out anyway.

Good, I'll sleep better tonight! :D

Win2Win
12th January 2010, 20:47
Good, I'll sleep better tonight! :D
After you've left a nice layer of water to freeze outside :rolleyes:

tovarich
12th January 2010, 20:59
OK, I'll leave a couple of cushions outside tonight (whoopee type) just in case of accidents.:giggle

Oh and maybe what's left of the last bottle of malt I won. :omg:

Win2Win
12th January 2010, 21:34
Oh and maybe what's left of the last bottle of malt I won. :omg:
It didn't give you the craps then? :doh Only cost £1.19 from the shifty looking black guy on the Dock Road (although white people can look shifty as well, and brown ones....yellow....pink....blue....green...etc...)

tovarich
12th January 2010, 23:46
It didn't give you the craps then? :doh Only cost £1.19 from the shifty looking black guy on the Dock Road (although white people can look shifty as well, and brown ones....yellow....pink....blue....green...etc...)

Even with the craps, Keith, at £1.19 a go I'll have five bottles thanks.:D