PDA

View Full Version : Barber hails 'wonderful' Denman

Win2Win Racing
9th December 2011, 18:51
Owner Paul Barber hailed Denman as "one of the greats" after injury forced connections to call time on the legendary staying chaser's stellar career.

The Paul Nicholls-trained 11-year-old was embarking upon what was likely to be his final campaign, which was due to begin in the Lexus Chase, a race he won four years ago, at Leopardstown on December 28, but a tendon injury was discovered after a routine piece of work.

Barber said: "We've decided to retire him as there was no way I was ever going to take any chances with him. He's given us so much pleasure - he's been a wonderful horse for us. He's been one of the greats."

He went on: "Two great races stick out for me, obviously his Gold Cup win of 2008, but also his second win in the Hennessy - I thought that was a huge performance. I've had a lot of good horses and I would never talk horses like See More Business (1999 Gold Cup winner) down, but Denman is with them."

Denman enjoyed a successful career in novice hurdles but marked himself as a real star when switching to fences and destroying his rivals by upwards of 10 lengths in the Royal & SunAlliance Chase at the 2007 Cheltenham Festival. He won his first Hennessy nine months later, after which he secured victory in the Lexus Chase in Ireland on his next start.

But his finest hour came in March 2008 when he revelled in a showdown with stablemate Kauto Star in the Cheltenham Gold Cup, with Denman galloping to glory by seven lengths under Sam Thomas - although his old rival reversed that form in 2009.

Thomas said: "It's a sad day, but I am very glad his injury happened on the gallops and not on the racecourse, because it could have been much worse. The 2008 Gold Cup was the best day of my life - he was a great horse to be associated with. He's very close to my heart and he's going to have a long and happy retirement."

Denman turned in a truly memorable weight-carrying performance to win a second Hennessy in November 2009, competing off a 13lb higher mark than in 2007 and giving nearly a stone and more to each of his rivals.

Ruby Walsh, who was on board at Newbury and rode Denman to six other victories, said: "It's better happening at 11 rising 12 than five rising six. He was a wonderful horse and a lucky horse for the owners. He was very well trained, had some wonderful days and it was a pleasure to have ridden him."

Nicholls added: "It's a relatively small injury and if he was a younger horse he'd definitely be back next season. But it's better it happens at home than blow a tendon on a racecourse. He's been a fantastic horse and he'll have the best of everything now. He's been a great horse and you can't say enough about him."

http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/BritishHorseracingAuthorityNewsHeadlines/~4/v8rfSVgNV54

More... (http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/BritishHorseracingAuthorityNewsHeadlines/~3/v8rfSVgNV54/newsItem.asp)

Win2Win
10th December 2011, 11:08
:frown: What a great horse and supplied us with years of great races and memories. :thumbs