Cookie Policy: This web site uses cookies. By using this site you agree to our cookie policy.
Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to the T&C. This is an information forum, and it is just that information, all views are of the individual poster and not that of the site owner. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material without the owners permission. If you copy news or articles include a link back to the original site. Threads/Posts may be deleted on request. No other links without permission.
BEFORE POSTING A QUESTION: Your question has probably been asked before, so please use the
SEARCH FUNCTION, as we grow tired of answering the same question again and again.

Thread: View Source

View Source

HELP !

When visiting websites, I often like to 'view' 'source' as it helps me to gain an understanding of some Webmaster stuff that I haven't yet learnt. However my PC just will not let me view source any more.

I know it's not the sites blocking it, which can be done I know, because my site aint blocked and I can't view that either.

I can view the relevant sites at work on the PC, but not at home.

Is there a setting somewhere that I've possibly switched off ? I've tried switching off Zone Alarm to no avail.

All help greatly appreciated.

Mark.

Have you tried VIEW on the menu item in the top left?

FREE Live Odds Comparison Software

Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Filipino UK Filipino Forum | Win2Win Racing - Free Tips

Yes, I click 'view' and then 'source' but nothing happens. Very very strange.

Running XP

Thumbs up Interesting.....

Hi Mark.....

You certainly did say those "strange words" Windows XP.....

It seems to have a mind of its own. I use XP Pro and it seems to turn things on and off at will. I have recently lost my right click "send to" links (wich is a real pain) and can't seem to get them back at all!

It sounds to me like a program association problem. Have you tried using the edit function (there should be a button on your explorer toolbar). Use the little arrow on the side and select Notepad.

I shall see if I can find the solution for you.

Other than that only Bill gates knows....

Good Luck!

Gordon

I can send you a delphi 3 program (came as a sample with delphi 3) where you and type in the url and then veiw the source fetched primative but it also gets around any view source blocking and can add a save source button too!

Marcus

I believe in the Mathematics of large numbers or ask you the occasional dumb question

Thumbs up Delphi

Would it be possible to mail me a copy Marcus. I would like to give it a try.....

Gordon

The browser wont show pictures or run script - the filesize 302Kb. Lightening button to fetch URL, Red circle to stop fetch disk icon to save. Let me know if there is a problem.

Marcus

I believe in the Mathematics of large numbers or ask you the occasional dumb question

Thumbs up Delphi

Will do, thanks again....

Gordon

Oh one other thing it does not handle secure cookies. - Said it was primative :D

Marcus

Thumbs up Proggie

I have got Delphi somewhere, installing it should solve the problem.....

Gordon

Hang on I see if I can test it on another PC and correct the problem.

Marcus

I am now also having this very same problem as you Mark. Click 'View' then 'Source' and nothing happens, and the 'Edit ->' function is disabled.

Very annoying...

Please take a look at:
    My Photostream on Flickr

I think some sites might have embedded code to switch it off, but then don't switch it back on when you leave.

I think the option is in Tools>Internet Options>Advanced

Thanks for all your thoughts - still can't get it to work.

I've tried resetting the advanced settings back to default on Keith's advice.

It's not really a 'biggie' so to speak, but highly annoying when you see a nice bit of code and want it gratis !!...lol

Thumbs up Ultra Edit

Me again :D

I have just re-installed Ultra Edit - 32, (Forgot I had it!). It loads up source code great.....

Gordon

I had this problem to but got it fixed now, do you all still no how to do it on windows XP?

If any programs have a Javascript block on opening the source code, just open the Script Debugger this gets around it.

well i got told if ur on XP go to tools and then internet options then delate files, and it worked.

There "seems" to be a bug in IE-6 & XP may be in other versions also, if you have a Folder called Notepad or a shortcut on desktop to notepad this sometimes causes the notepad.exe to misbehave when you try and open the View source code, also clear the temporary internet files folder as this can have an effect as well, usually when the space is near max allowed.

Edited 08.39, Just found this as well Googling,

"Also, search your registry for the DWORD noviewsource. If that exists, delete it or set it to 0.", but if you are not sure about registry tweeks leave well alone.

The minute you start talking about what you're going to do if you lose, you have lost.
    Got to update this when I have time please be patient ,thank you ,Open Forum...Total Lays......?Total Backs....?Hidden Forum Total Backs....?Total Lays......?

Thread Information