Cookie Policy: This web site uses cookies. By using this site you agree to our cookie policy.
Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to the T&C. This is an information forum, and it is just that information, all views are of the individual poster and not that of the site owner. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material without the owners permission. If you copy news or articles include a link back to the original site. Threads/Posts may be deleted on request. No other links without permission.
BEFORE POSTING A QUESTION: Your question has probably been asked before, so please use the
SEARCH FUNCTION, as we grow tired of answering the same question again and again.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Business Website.....

Done. :) I think you posted your account link Merl, I have now removed it for you.

Please take a look at:
    My Photostream on Flickr

You're in for it now John...

wait till Merl gets home

Can you let us know your address, we'll send some flowers

The Vegster!

Winner of Ada's Eurovision Game 2014

If you need some Flash stuff, give me a shout.

Quote Originally Posted by GlosRFC
    If you need some Flash stuff, give me a shout.
    I envy you!

I'm finding it hard learning ActionScript. I'm no programmer. :(

Please take a look at:
    My Photostream on Flickr

That's strange. I must have one of those really obtuse logical minds as it's crystal clear to me. I think what people find hardest about AS is the concept of the timeline. Unlike a normal programming language that usually resides in one place, AS can be applied to different parts of the timeline, e.g. added to movieclips, buttons, etc., and the instructions can alter the progress of the timeline by moving the playhead forwards, backwards, or making it stop. This makes it quite difficult to follow the flow of any AS project. Other than that, AS is very similar to other languages - just give me a shout if there's anything that you don't understand.

Just splashed out on a new graphic tablet today for my Flash work. Only £25 for an A4 monster from Aldi :D

Yeah, it's not that hard to grasp in terms of understanding what does what, it's just I'm not very technical/logically minded... I'm more of an artist... a thinker... if you get me. Never really been great at programming, it has taken me quite a while to pick up languages that I have learnt but I've got there in the end. AS is gonna be a struggle but worth it. :)

Please take a look at:
    My Photostream on Flickr

Trust me, it's definitely worth persevering with. I'd advise anyone just starting out to begin with Flash 5 if possible. Not only is AS1.0 easier to wrap your head around that AS2.0 but the design screen is less cluttered.
    If you're an artist/designer, then Flash is tailor-made for you. There's no reason why you can't use Flash to do quick vector-based images, rather than some of the more traditional drawing packages, and they can always be exported as gif's for web use. I find there are things I can draw in Flash much easier than in Coreldraw for instance. Instead of messing about with nodes, I find it more intuitive to use the shape principle employed by Flash. And there's no reason why you should need to touch AS at all if you want to produce simple animations.

Sent you some reference material that might be useful.

Cheers Glos... much appreciated.

It never really occurred to me to use Flash for static graphics, but now you mention it, it makes sense to try that out. Usually I use a program called DrawPlus made by Serif, which is very good.

Sorry for highjacking your thread Merl.

Please take a look at:
    My Photostream on Flickr

If anyone's in doubt about the capabilities of Flash purely as a drawing package, they need to take a look at this:

http://dreammania.net/test/realisme/static.php

No actionscript, no tweening, not even any animation. Just a simple (?) picture illustrating what can be achieved with the standard Flash drawing tools and a few gradient fills.

Glos do you make living from racing? Cos ya know everything! :) (that's not in sarcastic offensive tone, but in an licking, alot of what Keith gets tone :D )

It might look to you like I know everything...but I assure you I don't. And my remains virgin territory so a little less licking if you don't mind!

So modest

WOW... sounds like you guys are way into this stuff. I just wanted to be able to throw some websites together for the average person/small business. I got Dreamweaver with Flash and all the bits, but all I've done so far is throw a front page up and dabbled with a bit of HTML ... CSS style sheets are next to sort out methinks.

For what it's worth, my view is that its possible to design some very technically advanced effects and gizmos these days, but when it comes down to it, the average person is looking for clarity and a lot of bells and whistles clanking about in the background are irritating and distracting. I just wanna design some attractive, clean, and clear sites. I'm all for good artwork though, just can't do it myself!

Here's an impressive clean and clear site for you :D

http://www.pi.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/adipaul.html

I agree that clarity rules and I try, wherever possible, not to fall into the trap of adding non-relevant sounds and images. However, sound does play a key part in attracting as many people as it puts off. Horses for courses I suppose.

I'm in the process of rebuilding my entire site but feel free to check out the old one if you want some inspiration.

Thanks Plater and John........for removing that link....................although, when I tried it this morning it didnt work.......but as you rightly said......some dishonest smart ass may have tried to do something with it...

Thanks for the offer of help Glos....will no doubt call on your skills at some point.......thanks.......

Thanks to everyone - Vegy an all......

The radical of one century is the conservative of the next. The radical invents the views. When he has worn them out the conservative adopts them.

Mark Twain.

I've put the templates on the server Merlin, if you email me, I'll send the download link.

Even if you don't use them, you still learn something of how they are put together, or just nick a few bits off each.

FREE Live Odds Comparison Software

Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Filipino UK Filipino Forum | Win2Win Racing - Free Tips

Keitho....:

The radical of one century is the conservative of the next. The radical invents the views. When he has worn them out the conservative adopts them.

Mark Twain.

Hey Glos, that's a clean site - or at least it was after I dusted off my monitor screen. I thought the ant crawling up it was a neat touch... 'til I discovered it was a real one :)

Looked at your site and some of those tricks are very neat indeed. I'm thinking of using my software to put a few example web pages up and see what I can do with it. I have a couple of business ideas that I want to try and to be able to build a professional looking site is crucial to my plans.

Only just installed the software last night, so a steep learning curve in front of me and the chance to have a go at Merlin's 'real' subject seemed an opportunity.

My homepage was done with MS Publisher (only works with iexplorer @ 1024x768) and since then I played around with Frontpage. Many have advised me to learn coding first, but I thought I'd go with Dreamweaver Studio and try to combine that with learning something about coding as I go along.

As you say, horses for courses, and the sound of my V12 engine revving at full song on my Daimler site is tempting me, but the police siren in the background spoils the effect :-O

Cheers,
    Paul.

I see Merlin bypassed the swear filter again. :D

Good luck Paul, if you need any help giz a shout. :wink

Please take a look at:
    My Photostream on Flickr

Hi,

I have started messing about with ideas.....and am using a template wizard(for obvious reasons)...have put some pages up......however, only the front page is important to me at this point......But. for starters the two boxes on the bottom, I know are crap ......What’s new ? and We have 10 free placements to give away!

Because of the restrictions in using a wizard......it is only practice for me really......but if you have a minute have a look at this link....and give me the bad news......ideas etc......I apreciate the time anyone gives to looking at this ,

Link edited out

Cheers guys and gals, Merlin.

Mark Twain.

shavings - the link requires a password.............thats the end of that then.....for now.......

Of course I realise it works for me, because of cookies....I think...

Mark Twain.

Hi Merlin, I've edited out the link again because it points to the same page that was posted up the other day to your account. Do you have an INDEX.HTML page? As this is where your homepage should point to... :)

Please take a look at:
    My Photostream on Flickr

Sure John.....but as yet....it is not available on-line.......the host company said it can take up to 72 hours to filter through to ¨all the servers¨...I think they mentioned DNS....

Same goes for my e-mail accounts with the host.....I am not recieving e-mails yet...but strangely I can send them......

The site is....

paradisetravel.org

When it eventually comes on line.....I have uploaded the home page - but it doesnt show....

Mark Twain.

No worries Merl. :) Yeah, it can take up to 72 hours to go online. Think of the DNS bit as the internet updating its database of websites.

Looking forward to seeing the site. :)

Please take a look at:
    My Photostream on Flickr

What a fiasco......the reason my site is not on-line is because the Domain name is registered to someone else........................

I have had to choose another Domain name.......

So I went for - volunteerbrazil.com - I may regret that name change.......because I was set on paradisetravel......

But I will get used to it I suppose, and it is more relevant to the product....

Mark Twain.

They have sorted out my hosting package and Domain name now, at last.......

According to whois.....the Domain name paradisetravel was registered the same day that I registered....(with a different hosting company though)........

However - my new Domain is ... - volunteerbrazil.com - completely registered this time(just checked)......for my inconvenuence they added 1 year of hosting onto my package.....so I got 2 years for the price of 1...

This was probably due to the rather straight e-mail which I sent........which bypassed all of their swear filters....

Mark Twain.

Hi Merlin,
    I cant help you with the technical info but I can help you with the business side of things ,if you set up on your own or with friends or something and give ordinary everyday people the opportunity to do it, (make them pay for their own flights,transfers and pay a minimum cost for accommodation) you will have volunteers coming out of your ears.
    I mentioned it before on this site the prices these companies charge for you to volunteer your help is ridiculous.
    There are lots of genuine volunteers out here who just cant afford to pay silly prices.

'SOULMATES NEVER DIE'
    MySpace
    PHOTOS

Thanks Sam - great stuff....this is one of the reasons why I am doing this (there are others of course)......

The thread you refer to - I think I replied to it....about 2 months ago I think.......

Once everything is up and running I will let you know....

Mark Twain.

I'm sure we would all volunteer Vegy for any missions into the Columbian jungle :)

FREE Live Odds Comparison Software

Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Filipino UK Filipino Forum | Win2Win Racing - Free Tips

I know its crap....at the mo.......but any website gurus out there......take a look at this - and see if you think the general idea will work.....

Its a bit of a mess at the mo....coz I came out of the wizard, and I am trying to find my way around without it........ I will go slowly, slowly.....very slowly....Given myself 1 month to get it decent....

www.volunteerbrazil.com

ALL FEEDBACK AND HELP WELCOME......yikes:

Mark Twain.

Thread Information