Cookie Policy: This web site uses cookies. By using this site you agree to our cookie policy.
Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to the T&C. This is an information forum, and it is just that information, all views are of the individual poster and not that of the site owner. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material without the owners permission. If you copy news or articles include a link back to the original site. Threads/Posts may be deleted on request. No other links without permission.
BEFORE POSTING A QUESTION: Your question has probably been asked before, so please use the
SEARCH FUNCTION, as we grow tired of answering the same question again and again.

Thread: Help please

Help please

everytime i try to get in to anything on the main screen of my computer like my documents or the recycle bin i get this come up

explorer has caused an error
    in XTUPDATE.DLL
    explorer will now close

then when i click close this comes up

explorer has caused an error
    in MFC42.DLL
    explorer will now close

:(

anyone know how to get rid of this **** cause its really pissing me off.I cant get in to any of my folders of anything

Phil is offline Win2Win Racing Club Member

Explorer represents a vital chunk of your computer so if that fooks up then your in deep doo doo. Usually when explorer closes it causes your computer to restart.

If you press ctrl+alt+delete you should see the status of Explorer.exe in the window that pops up. Try it before clicking the folder to see what it says and then see what happens after you've clicked the folder.

I don't know how to fix your problem, but it might help find out whats wrong.

Good Luck!

||= Phil =||

I don't mind when my horse is left at the post. I don't mind when my horse comes up to me in the stands and asks "Which way do I go?" But when the horse I bet on is at the Tote window betting on another horse in the same race....

If you go to the Microsoft site and go to suupport and type in those errors they offers solutions.

Johnny Boy

What version of Windows is it?

You can always try going to >CONTROL PANEL>ADD/REMOVE PROGRAM>ADD?REMOVE WINDOWS COMPONENTS and then de-select Internet Explorer, this should allow you to fix it. Failing that, it's probably quicker just reintalling windows, or going back to a previous RESTORE POINT if it is XP/ME.

FREE Live Odds Comparison Software

Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Filipino UK Filipino Forum | Win2Win Racing - Free Tips

i would love to keith but when i click on my computer i get the error
    when i try and use the serch to get to it i get the error
    error error error god dam error

When the computer is starting up keep hitting the F8 key. This will then bring up a menu of start options. Chose the start in Safe Mode.

This basically means that windows does not start all the bits of programs that might be causing your problems. Be warned this also means you end up looking at a low resaloution screen.

Then go into the control panel and Add Remove programs.

Somewhere in that lot is the reinstall explorer. This should cure most of your problems.

Marcus

I believe in the Mathematics of large numbers or ask you the occasional dumb question

While in safe mode

Click START>RUN type in MSCONFIG and click OK.

Then go to STARTUP (DO NOT touch any others), and uncheck all boxes. Then after you have rebooted, tick a couple, and reboot. This way it should be able to work out which program is causing a problem, and then click back all the rest, and leave that one blank, or uninstall it.

FREE Live Odds Comparison Software

Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Filipino UK Filipino Forum | Win2Win Racing - Free Tips

Phil is offline Win2Win Racing Club Member

Explorer as far as I know is completely unrelated to Internet Explorer it's a shortened name for Windows Explorer which is a core part of your operating system. A lot of people get problems with it once you have had your OS running for a while and generally most people end up reinstalling their OS and starting a fresh.

What OS you using? Try Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore which takes you back a few days depending on what you select. Only Windows ME onwards though so if you have 98 your fooked.

||= Phil =||

I don't mind when my horse is left at the post. I don't mind when my horse comes up to me in the stands and asks "Which way do I go?" But when the horse I bet on is at the Tote window betting on another horse in the same race....

Hello

If you are still having a problem, or you hit the same problem again and you're using Windows 98, try these two.

Click RUN, type in sfc, then click OK. Run the System File Checker and watch out for the files that keep showing as errors. If you're asked to RESTORE, the DLL's should be in your Windows 98 folder or in the System folder. Restore them from one of those locations.

If that doesn't work, close down to DOS and type in scanreg /fix - note the space after scanreg.

If that doesn't work, go to MY COMPUTER, then C, then WINDOWS>OPTIONS>CABS. Then find the setup file to re-install your operating system - there should be an option that re-installs Windows but retains your current files. If this succeeds and the error still exists, go back and do a complete reformat.

If you didn't need this advice, then OK. But remember the sfc and scanreg /fix for future reference. If you haven't got Windows 98.........

Good Luck

i found out the problem it was that stupid Xupiter.com
    thanx anywayz:D

Thread Information