Cookie Policy: This web site uses cookies. By using this site you agree to our cookie policy.
Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to the T&C. This is an information forum, and it is just that information, all views are of the individual poster and not that of the site owner. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material without the owners permission. If you copy news or articles include a link back to the original site. Threads/Posts may be deleted on request. No other links without permission.
BEFORE POSTING A QUESTION: Your question has probably been asked before, so please use the
SEARCH FUNCTION, as we grow tired of answering the same question again and again.

Thread: Dummies guide to databases...

Exclamation Dummies guide to databases...

I'm applying for a job and the role involves the use of databases. Would be appreciated if some kind forumite could provide a little intro, so I know what I'm talking about, should I get an interview. The role is ideal really so I'm gunning for it! Got the advanced Excel certificates and good pc skills, just lacking on the d/b stuff having forgotten most of my studies!

Thanks in advance, I feel a rep frenzy coming on

It's easy using Acces, you can pick it up in a few days, but God help you if you need to relate to two DB's together, and update them!!!

FREE Live Odds Comparison Software

Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Filipino UK Filipino Forum | Win2Win Racing - Free Tips

What's a database?

eeeeek! First Normal Form upto 5th Normal Form. (That will have you quaking in your shoes :D )

Marcus

I believe in the Mathematics of large numbers or ask you the occasional dumb question

lowe1 is offline Win2Win Racing Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by Workshy
    I'm applying for a job and the role involves the use of databases. Would be appreciated if some kind forumite could provide a little intro, so I know what I'm talking about, should I get an interview. The role is ideal really so I'm gunning for it! Got the advanced Excel certificates and good pc skills, just lacking on the d/b stuff having forgotten most of my studies!

here you go everything you need to know

http://www.maths.soton.ac.uk/~cjh/ma...cel/excel.html

tony

Best advice I can give is to do a search on SQL structure as most databases employ this technique. If nothing else, you can swot up on the jargon and baffle them during the interview.

The key to any good database is the initial design - if possible, it pays to break all of the constituent data into the smallest possible building blocks - so this place might help
    http://www.geekgirls.com/menu_databases.htm

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusMel
    eeeeek! First Normal Form upto 5th Normal Form. (That will have you quaking in your shoes :D )
    Surely 3NF is all he'd need to know, I've never come across anything that would be complicated enough to use 5NF, even though in rare cases it does exist.

Can you do Normalisation, B?

Have a read up about primary keys/foreign keys, etc. Then there's your queries and reports and such like.

I hope this is flooding back to you. :D

Good luck with your application. :wink

Please take a look at:
    My Photostream on Flickr

No No No, information overload! Woooooosh, all going over my head!

I'd suggest taking a spreadsheet and transferring the data over to an access database as a good way of seeing how similar things are. Use the 'Get External Data' and Import an Excel file (make sure the first row has a description of what is in each column).

When you have done that, open up the sheet and see haw the data is stored. Then look at the sheet in design view and use the dropdowns to assign the most appropriate field types - also make sure you set the field lengths to the smallest size you will actually need (eg if one field is for a postcode, set to 8 - including the space in the middle) - this ensures your database doesn't use up more resources than is necessary (I would not hire anyone who did not check this!!).

Once you have a 'feel' for how it is stored, use the Forms wizard to create an 'automatic' form based on the data - again, view it in design view and move a few things about to see how it looks.

Next, make a query - something simple at first (eg find everything with a particular value) and then view it in design mode and finally go to the View menu and click on SQL Code to see the 'text view'.

Finally, create a report - use the wizard - and base it on your query. Switch to design mode and add a few decorative features etc.

When you've done all that, write one from scratch - something easy such as an address book. You'll be surprised how easy the simple stuff can be - even when you haven't used databases before!

Good post Oldham.

Brian, this might be useful to you: http://www.katsueydesignworks.com/tu..._databases.htm

Please take a look at:
    My Photostream on Flickr

Cheers chaps, will have a closer look later. :D

Quote Originally Posted by Workshy

A JOB. STOP SWEARING. Ooo

I know mate, its bad In all seriousness, I'm looking to rent a house (for the first time) so need a job.

Thread Information